BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #1761
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Just got this installed and everything went reasonably well. But how on earth do you get the A pillar trim back on? The front tab at the bottom is at the wrong angle to go back into the slot
You should be able to pivot that tab into the hole at an angle (tipped out toward the passenger side) and then push it in. It's flexible but if I remember it may have a bit of an angle which helps keep pressure when installed so it doesn't rattle. Give it a little push in then tip it back into place and make sure to guide the rubber seal over the edge correctly. A rounded plastic trim tool makes that easier.
      12-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #1762
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Got it! Used a long screwdriver to guide the tabs in. Then had to use a trim tool to get the weatherstripping aligned properly. It's silly how there are all these little annoying things you e gotta figure out along the way, where if I did this again it'd take a fifth the time.

On another note, how are you guys connnecting to CIC aux? I was expecting to see an aux jack or something but are you somehow connecting to the aux input line on the quad connector? Got it connected to armrest aux for now which is okay but a slight difference in quality from before
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #1763
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Finished installing my Carsara today and everything works as well as expected. I did not have to take my center console apart as I skipped the aux and iDrive cables. Ran the USB cable under the passenger kick panel so if I ever need to do a firmware update it's only 2 screws away, but otherwise hidden away.

The Liebmaya backup cam works well, no quality or flickering issues and fitment is perfect. I ran the small male connector down into the trunk instead of running the larger female connector up. No issues pulling the cable through the rubber boot with a coat hanger. I connected the camera's parking line wires to disable them, and also disabled the Carsara parking lines. Don't see the point if they're not accurate anyways.

Sound quality is very good. I have individual audio with Malek's iDrive EQ settings (not sure if these effect CarPlay) and aux volume at 50%. I'll probably keep messing with the Carsara EQ but here's what I've got so far:
Attached Images

12-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #1764
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 335d M-sport

After muddling through the install, following the others here I finally sorted out the cable connection options. Options 1, 2 didn't work. I tried option 3 #a<->#b and I drove worked but after pressing the menu button on I drive for 3 sec I got some weird vertical banding. It was different each time. In a few cases I got a grey screen.

I fear my unit is defective. Any clues from anyone on what else could be wrong? I hopes it's not defective. It took about 6 weeks to get to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #1765
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin_Oil_Burner View Post
After muddling through the install, following the others here I finally sorted out the cable connection options. Options 1, 2 didn't work. I tried option 3 #a<->#b and I drove worked but after pressing the menu button on I drive for 3 sec I got some weird vertical banding. It was different each time. In a few cases I got a grey screen.

I fear my unit is defective. Any clues from anyone on what else could be wrong? I hopes it's not defective. It took about 6 weeks to get to me.
Check both of the LCD in and out cables. It's possible one of those cables is defective or damaged or incorrectly installed. Make sure it didn't get crimped or damage during install.

It's rendering the IDrive screen weird so if that doesn't fix it reconnect the IDrive directly to the CIC head unit and see if it works normally. Otherwise there could have been a short or something affecting the CIC.
      12-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #1766
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:

Check both of the LCD in and out cables. It's possible one of those cables is defective or damaged or incorrectly installed. Make sure it didn't get crimped or damage during install.

It's rendering the IDrive screen weird so if that doesn't fix it reconnect the IDrive directly to the CIC head unit and see if it works normally. Otherwise there could have been a short or something affecting the CIC.
Thanks Cyberdemon. Let me try your suggestions. Will share results.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #1767
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Cyberdemon. Let me try your suggestions. Will share results.
Sorry also check that your toggles on your box are set correctly for your car. It might be trying to force a weird resolution if the toggles are wrong. That is actually more likely than the cables.
      12-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #1768
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

what's the latest consensus on best products at this point?
      12-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #1769
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry also check that your toggles on your box are set correctly for your car. It might be trying to force a weird resolution if the toggles are wrong. That is actually more likely than the cables.
Yeah toggles were correct with 4 on, everything else off. I did check LVDS cables and all were fine. The weird lines only appear after i hold i-drive for 3 seconds...so the unit appears to be switching to car play mode.

I did get a weird SOS and message on my dash after the last time I tried to re-check all connections. I haven't pulled codes yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #1770
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Good news, at least the seller is responsive...I just got this message below. The dip switch settings are different than the printed ones sent with the system.

Will give that a shot, hopefully tomorrow

----
Hello, for your car screen, put switch 347 to ON, other OFF

For the CAN cable of the new power harness, connect it like below steps
1. Connect A# carplay low can cable to idrive cable(CIC-KT), connect the other end of idrive cable to car idrive control knob. Check if control knob operate menus normally; if not, operate step 2.
2. Connect B# head unit can cable to A# carplay low can cable, without connecting the idrive cable(CIC-KT)
3. Connect L# carplay high can cable to idrive cable(CIC-KT), connect the other end of idrive cable to car idrive control knob.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #1771
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

BTW, I have a 2011 335d, no 6FL.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #1772
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
what's the latest consensus on best products at this point?
I got this one and so far so good. Seems like a lot of people are going for this one now

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...54074c4dsTSdMy
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 03:37 AM   #1773
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

yeah, go for carsara.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #1774
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Did you leave the parking line wires on the camera disconnected? If so, do you find the parking lines helpful?

The instructions say to connect the wires to disable parking lines, which is something I think I want to do if they are not accurately lined up with the wheels.
I left them disconnected and do find the parking lines helpful of where the car will be placed (generally). Definitely not an exact fit, but when backing into a spot it helps translate steering input to car placement. Ultimately, the choice is yours. I will upload pics when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #1775
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanturn View Post
Quote:
Did you leave the parking line wires on the camera disconnected? If so, do you find the parking lines helpful?

The instructions say to connect the wires to disable parking lines, which is something I think I want to do if they are not accurately lined up with the wheels.
I left them disconnected and do find the parking lines helpful of where the car will be placed (generally). Definitely not an exact fit, but when backing into a spot it helps translate steering input to car placement. Ultimately, the choice is yours. I will upload pics when I get a chance.
Do you have the parking lines in the Carsara settings disabled then? I wonder if the camera's parking lines are more accurate and useful than the Carsara lines. May go back in and experiment.

Here's a pic of the camera lines disabled and Carsara lines enabled. I placed tape measures at the edges of the tires.
Attached Images

12-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #1776
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have the parking lines in the Carsara settings disabled then? I wonder if the camera's parking lines are more accurate and useful than the Carsara lines. May go back in and experiment.

Here's a pic of the camera lines disabled and Carsara lines enabled. I placed tape measures at the edges of the tires.
The lines are unfortunately never going to be that accurate. The sensors and electronics for most of these cameras are the same even though the field of view is not. I use the carsara dynamic lines only because they "feel" the most modern. It also helps to develop a relative depth gauge. I know now when I reverse into my garage I should be 1 line away from the shelf in order to make sure the front is in far enough.
      12-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #1777
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The lines are unfortunately never going to be that accurate. The sensors and electronics for most of these cameras are the same even though the field of view is not. I use the carsara dynamic lines only because they "feel" the most modern. It also helps to develop a relative depth gauge. I know now when I reverse into my garage I should be 1 line away from the shelf in order to make sure the front is in far enough.
Right, I don't think the lines are very accurate even in OEM applications. Laying out the tape measures was helpful for me to identify that the edges of the tires line up well with the edges of the FOV with this particular camera.
      12-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #1778
bd700
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2011 M3

Hi all. Installing a Carrara box into my 2011 e90 today.

Does anyone know if it is still necessary to run the cable up to the headliner for the microphone? The instructions say only if needed if oem mic does not work.

I will be coding for the head unit aux if it matters.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #1779
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd700 View Post
Hi all. Installing a Carrara box into my 2011 e90 today.

Does anyone know if it is still necessary to run the cable up to the headliner for the microphone? The instructions say only if needed if oem mic does not work.

I will be coding for the head unit aux if it matters.
Thanks!
I tried it first without connecting the mic and it didn't work. If you run the cable up the headliner the carsara kit comes with an adapter that plugs into the OEM mic up there.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #1780
bd700
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2011 M3

Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #1781
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Solved- Carsara for 335d 2011

Quote:
Good news, at least the seller is responsive...I just got this message below. The dip switch settings are different than the printed ones sent with the system.

----

1. Connect A# carplay low can cable to idrive cable(CIC-KT), connect the other end of idrive cable to car idrive control knob. Check if control knob operate menus normally; if not, operate step 2.
2. Connect B# head unit can cable to A# carplay low can cable, without connecting the idrive cable(CIC-KT)
3. Connect L# carplay high can cable to idrive cable(CIC-KT), connect the other end of idrive cable to car idrive control knob.
So I tried things again with the new dip switch settings and all is working! These setting (3, 4, 7 on) do not appear anywhere in the installation "manual" this is for a 335d, 2011, no FL.

This setting came from Carsara. Their response and English was actually very good! I did not need the extra CIC-KT cable, so same connection A to connection B set up as Cyberdemon and others.

I set up front and back cameras as I'm tired of smashing the bottom of my front bumper into curbs. I'm still fussing around with all of the settings but so far so good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #1782
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

----

So I tried things again with the new dip switch settings and all is working! These setting (3, 4, 7 on) do not appear anywhere in the installation "manual" this is for a 335d, 2011, no FL.

This setting came from Carsara. Their response and English was actually very good! I did not need the extra CIC-KT cable, so same connection A to connection B set up as Cyberdemon and others.

I set up front and back cameras as I'm tired of smashing the bottom of my front bumper into curbs. I'm still fussing around with all of the settings but so far so good.
Where did you mount the front camera?