BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #23
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Wow Swamp, I was shocked when you were the one who started this thread. You and I have had many, ahem, discussions about this exact topic, with me usually playing the role of modded 335i fanboy and you M3 defendant. Nice to see a thread like this from you, and the great discussion it once again stirs.
I got a 335i sedan (thinking the M3 sedan would not be out until at least the fall of 08) and have truly loved the car. It now has V2 of Procede, which adds about 70-80 HP and 100 lbs of torque over stock. The best part is that the throttle is, even with the additional boost, very progressive, with very little (almost no) turbo lag. You can dial in throttle coming out of corners, and the midrange torque rockets the car forward. The handling is excellent - composed, balanced, forgiving yet somewhat nimble (for a 3600 lb sedan). I came from an S2000 and I thought I might have trouble keeping in the twisties with my friends in their Evos, 350zs, etc. but instead I actually am faster (due to the torque coming out of corners). Much more lively chassis and steering feel than I thought, and the brakes are solid. For context, I am a track junkie with five years of time trialing and instructing.

I, however, am trying desparately to not mod the car until 1) I find out the M3's US pricing and 2) I test drive the M3. I, too, have been down the modding route and know how expensive it is for little returns (you get some $ back if you are smart about your mod choices). I also know how great a high-revving NA V8 will be, how much more progressive the throttle will be, and how an adjustable stock suspension could be really cool. I also would love to be able to visit a dealership if something goes wrong without crossing my fingers and toes that they will not find a reason to void my warranty.
BMW was smart about welding the LSD. I would have already put one in if it wasn't and probably been that much happier keeping the 335i over the new M3. Over $4K that you won't get back is a huge price to pay, but an LSD is a mod the 335i badly needs. Without it the M3 will probably wind up replacing it in my garage.
      11-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Swamp,

I am sure you have had some of the same heart ache I have had with modifications.

Modding is fun and having a personalized BMW is awesome but the price you pay as an owner is high. The hardest thing for me would be possibly giving up the 4yr warranty. I think you have to approach upgrades like Proceed with the understanding that you may be giving up your warranty should an engine problem arise, despite getting caught with it or not.

Other mods like aftermarket exhaust systems and aftermarket suspension systems give up some basic civility. Dont get me wrong, I love my UUC TSE on my E36 M3 but I understand that probably most normal people dont understand why my car is so loud.

When it comes to aftermarket suspension setups, even if the aftermarket coilovers or springs are very compliant and offer a good ride, things like speed bumps and steep driveways all of a sudden become an issue.

Finally, like I said before, my 335 would have to be unique, both in performance and in visual appeal. I am not sure if I am ready to go down the modding addict rabbit hole again with another BMW. I will be honest and say that I am still on the fence. I could easily see myself saving 15-20K by buying a 335i through Mil Sales and then going straight to Proceed, NEEZ, and KW. But, I am really hoping that the new M3 is going to be a car that I really enjoy in stock form for a long time.

I know, admitting denial is the first step

Jason
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. My share of heartaches with modding for sure. Glad I did it all but don't want to anymore. Famous last words as I pick up my car tomorrow with my full TIG welded aluminum PWR radiator...

Funny about the UUC. I have one as well. Loved it for a long time but nowadays it is just too bloody loud.

Same with my suspension! I can't wait to have 3 EDC modes INCLUDING comfort. Call me soft, that's OK. Having the best of all worlds is darn hard to argue against.

Isn't the new decision by BMW to weld the diff on in the 335i a big factor preventing you from going down the rabbit hole again? It is for me. One wheel wonders out of corners is soooo lame; slow and terrible looking as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #25
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You are pretty clever. I can't say I am not thinking about it a bit but I really do stand by all of my past arguments against extensive modding: reliability, hassle, loss of civility, loss of dollars spent, possible loss of warranty, loss of comfort, time spent under you car, performance per dollar, etc. Thinking about it certainly does not mean I am going to do it

BMW has made this route pretty tempting with the price level of the 335i. It is after all it is a damn fine car. It is the starting point to build the E92 M3!

However, I seriously doubt I will go down this route. There is no substitute for an M, period. No substitute for a V8 screaming at 8400 rpm, nor for M-DCT. I am pretty darn well set on getting the M. How about yourself, you have continually avoided my questions about what you are waiting for - the E90 M3 or E92 M3 perhaps? Or are you already driving one?
The latter.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Threads like this make me want to change my decision...

...to not mod the wife's car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #27
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Agree with all that has been said about modding. It is a bug and it grips you for awhile. I am passed that phase as well.
Guess it's good to get that out of your system before you drop $70k on a car.

Obviously, no long-term impacts are known about upping the power on the 335i with stock internals/suspension. Another caution I have.
      11-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The latter.

Best regards, south
South, congrats man ! You have been so quiet about your own personal experiences. How about a detailed write up? I am quite keen to hear some of your personal insights about the car. Color, specs, options as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Wow Swamp, I was shocked when you were the one who started this thread. You and I have had many, ahem, discussions about this exact topic, with me usually playing the role of modded 335i fanboy and you M3 defendant. Nice to see a thread like this from you, and the great discussion it once again stirs.
Cool, nice to see your balanced comments as well. Like I said I still lean heavily toward my position as "M3 defender", but the price to performance arguments are getting really stiff. As much as we have diced back and forth about the modded 335i vs. M3 it seems with my post and your reply above we are really much more in agreement than disagreement.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #30
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
South, congrats man ! You have been so quiet about your own personal experiences. How about a detailed write up? I am quite keen to hear some of your personal insights about the car. Color, specs, options as well?
Thanks. My write up so far: I love it!

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Agree on that one, my testdrive was just awesome

Where do you live in Germany? I will pay you a visit with my E46 M3, and make some damn fine pictures.............................what do you think off that?

Just send me a personal message...........................

Not to forget; congrats with this amazing piece off machinery...............
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #32
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
If size doesn't matter the 135i will provide a even better performance for the buck. The car is actually quite nice in person.
I too saw the 135i at the LA Auto Show.

It has me rethinking everything.

I'm so confused now... next thing you know, I'll be asking the forum "what should I get?"
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #33
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
A well optioned 335i ~ 50k + 10.5 to 16k will give you base price of a vanilla M3. 60 to 66k. Overall, 335i is still a better bang for the buck. Which one you pick is really buyer's preference and check book. Are you selling your e36 m3? I heard that is one of the best handling m3 out there. :-)
Except a well equipped ED 335i is ~$40K, not $50K.
Appreciate 0