BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Removing Black Plastic Piece in bottom of trunk

Hi guys,

I'm trying to remove this black plastic piece under the cargo area of the trunk to see if I can build a custom sized subwoofer box. I got off the gray trunk plastic piece towards the far rear of the car, removed all the nut/washers holding the black plastic piece and it won't budge!

Just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks.

Here's a pic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/U-...IR26bJIr1eARcg
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
SEMOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 SG

If I remember right, that black plastic actually serves as the floor pan for your trunk, so if you remove it you'll just have an open hole in your trunk.
I think there's a gasket or glue around the edge, and you would also have to remove the connections to the heat shields underneath. Then it should be able to come out with a little bit of prying.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
Jobe.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

There are several 10mm fasteners on the inside of the trunk around the perimeter.

There are three or four 10mm fasteners on the underside of the vehicle. The fasteners on the underside are located around the evap lines. The heat shield does need to be removed.

There is no glue or adhesive that needs to be removed.

With this pan removed there will be an empty hole in the rear of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

as others have said, that is the floor of your trunk. if you are going to modify it, you better buy a spare and build your setup and remove/replace your oem setup in one go. otherwise you would have a hole in your floor for a while.
      09-02-2017, 12:34 AM   #5
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOM3 View Post
If I remember right, that black plastic actually serves as the floor pan for your trunk, so if you remove it you'll just have an open hole in your trunk.
I think there's a gasket or glue around the edge, and you would also have to remove the connections to the heat shields underneath. Then it should be able to come out with a little bit of prying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe. View Post
There are several 10mm fasteners on the inside of the trunk around the perimeter.

There are three or four 10mm fasteners on the underside of the vehicle. The fasteners on the underside are located around the evap lines. The heat shield does need to be removed.

There is no glue or adhesive that needs to be removed.

With this pan removed there will be an empty hole in the rear of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
as others have said, that is the floor of your trunk. if you are going to modify it, you better buy a spare and build your setup and remove/replace your oem setup in one go. otherwise you would have a hole in your floor for a while.
Oh crap!! I'm not doing anything to it! I think I'll. It one of the custom subwoofer enclosures for sale on eBay and keep it simple.

I'm so glad I asked here. Appreciate the help from you guys.
Appreciate 0