BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90M3

how to create playlists on usb flash drive

ive searched everywhere and cant find a way to do this...
ive decided to switch to flash drive since my ipod wire keeps cutting out and they are 80 bucks to replace. I have a flash drive so why not use that, i plug the drive into my mac create a couple folders titled the same as my playlists then highlight and drag all my songs to the correct folders and when i plug it into the center console usb port the songs wont come up in the playlist folder, i am able to find them in the directory but everything is out of order
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
philmeister4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray, Fox Red 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013.99 BMW M3  [0.00]
SUbscribed! Just bought a 32gb flash drive to complete my maps update and can think of no better use.

Are you able to play the music at all? Using MP3 format?

2013.99 E92 | 6MT | ZCP | Macht Schnell Underdrive Pulleys | BPM Sport Stage II Tune | RPI Scoops | AFE Elite Stage 2 Pro5R Intake | ESS X-pipe HFC | UUC Corsa Exhaust | Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmeister4
SUbscribed! Just bought a 32gb flash drive to complete my maps update and can think of no better use.

Are you able to play the music at all? Using MP3 format?
yes im still able to play the music if i click all music file
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

What I did is to first convert all the music files into mp3 files. Using iTunes, I added album covers (if you're into that), and made sure that the all of the songs on that disc opened up for that disc. You may have to copy/paste album titles, authors etc so that all the songs appear on the correct album title. When opening up your iTunes media, copy the songs from each file (I did not use the folder, but rather I opened up each folder), and transfer them directly onto your USB media. Your car's computer will sort them out, and open them up. Then if you want to go to a particular album, artist, etc, you just hit PLAY, and all of the songs on that title will play. Do not hesitate to ask for clarification.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Format the flash drive in FAT32 format. Then just drag and drop MP3, WAV, AAC and a few more types will work.
      07-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies
What I did is to first convert all the music files into mp3 files. Using iTunes, I added album covers (if you're into that), and made sure that the all of the songs on that disc opened up for that disc. You may have to copy/paste album titles, authors etc so that all the songs appear on the correct album title. When opening up your iTunes media, copy the songs from each file (I did not use the folder, but rather I opened up each folder), and transfer them directly onto your USB media. Your car's computer will sort them out, and open them up. Then if you want to go to a particular album, artist, etc, you just hit PLAY, and all of the songs on that title will play. Do not hesitate to ask for clarification.
so basically transfer the songs over one by one into a folder/playlist on the usb? rather then all at once?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NACE90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies
so basically transfer the songs over one by one into a folder/playlist on the usb? rather then all at once?
Once you've formatted in FAT32 you can literally drop your iTunes library in. Root location should be all Artist folders. Within each artist should be the album folders and the songs within each album folder. You could just drop all files on root of USB but browsing becomes a nightmare that way, so I'd use folders as described.
      08-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

All I did was create a load of dir's (playlist1,,, playlis2 etc) in the root dir and then fill them with the songs required

you can also call the dir's anything you want (rock01, easy, rock02 etc).

then in media, select the correct usb and then select folder (as in playlist), and it will start at the first song in that folder.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Once you've formatted in FAT32 you can literally drop your iTunes library in. Root location should be all Artist folders. Within each artist should be the album folders and the songs within each album folder. You could just drop all files on root of USB but browsing becomes a nightmare that way, so I'd use folders as described.
there is no option for FAT32 just MS-DOS (FAT) and ExFAT
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
In any PC when your right click on a drive in file explorer one of the options is "format" and then "FAT32" is an option in the drop down list. The problem you have is the overall size. FAT32's limitation for a partition is 32gigs. You can buy a 3rd party partitioning tool that uses EXFAT32. It will allow for a bigger partition but the car may not recognize this. Most likely you will have to format to 32gigs and lose the other space (in the case of a 64/128gig flash drive). The flash drive I used in my screenshots was only 4gigs so FAT32 was an available option for me.
Attached Images

08-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #11
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy
Quote:
Quote:
In any PC when your right click on a drive in file explorer one of the options is "format" and then "FAT32" is an option in the drop down list. The problem you have is the overall size. FAT32's limitation for a partition is 32gigs. You can buy a 3rd party partitioning tool that uses EXFAT32. It will allow for a bigger partition but the car may not recognize this. Most likely you will have to format to 32gigs and lose the other space (in the case of a 64/128gig flash drive). The flash drive I used in my screenshots was only 4gigs so FAT32 was an available option for me.
maybe my problem is because i have a mac but i am also using a 4gb flash drive
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out. Now I will just reformat my thumbdrive and use this much more efficient method. Once again thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #13
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out. Now I will just reformat my thumbdrive and use this much more efficient method. Once again thanks.
Right on, no prob!