BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

09-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
XiWIngZeroiX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ford Fiesta ST

Thoughts? Looking at a used m3

Currently looking at an 08 e92 m3 and was looking for advice.
Here is the listing.

Thanks!
WingZero
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Doesn't show interior. Depends on what you are doing. That would be a fun track car. E92 6MT slicktop. 114k miles (I think I saw). Have money for repairs (as with any M, especially higher mileage) and see what they have for maintenance records.

All depends on what you are looking for, and what you want to do. More stripped down '08 is great if you are going to modify heavily. '11+ ZCP if you probably won't touch suspension. 6MT if you want it. DCT if you want convenience and speed. Etc, etc.

Nice username BTW =)

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Need more details on what you're looking for, like preferences too if you would want to share those. Other than that, I guess it's OK
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
Passenger side headlight looks foggy.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

While the price might be attractive, personally I wouldn't touch a m3 with 114k miles. Too many variables that could go wrong and the higher the miles, the more $$$ you might have to shell out in repairs. Of course any vehicle you find should have a thorough PPI. Keep looking until you find the right one...
Good luck!
p.s. Think I'm going to change my SN to WingGundamZero...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
While the price might be attractive, personally I wouldn't touch a m3 with 114k miles. Too many variables that could go wrong and the higher the miles, the more $$$ you might have to shell out in repairs. Of course any vehicle you find should have a thorough PPI. Keep looking until you find the right one...
Good luck!
Well I haven't seen any major problems for e9x M3 above 100K. I know many members who drives their car above 130K and nothing major except normal wear and tear.

Unless you are one of the unlucky ones with rod bearing problems, by far the e9X M3 is the most reliable M3 (if not in BMW) built so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:51 AM   #7
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3
Quote:
Good luck!
Well I haven't seen any major problems for e9x M3 above 100K. I know many members who drives their car above 130K and nothing major except normal wear and tear.

Unless you are one of the unlucky ones with rod bearing problems, by far the e9X M3 is the most reliable M3 (if not in BMW) built so far.
That's why some of us have taken to changing the rod bearings with every oil change...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
XiWIngZeroiX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks for the replies guys! A little more background would help. I am currently DD'ing a moderately modified 2015 Fiesta st. While I like the car, the limitations of fwd, a 1.6l engine and a relatively new platform leave the aftermarket scene a little much to be desired. Like a lot of people I'm sure, the m3 is on my list of cars I would like to own someday (along with an s2k, gen1 nsx and an r34). I would probably either sell or trade in, probably sell as I might have a buyer lined up, my fist and pick this up as my new DD
I have been doing research and the major issues seem to be the rod bearing issue, which I would definitely call major, and the actuator. Is there any way to guess whether an engine will be affected by the reduced clearance or is it assumed that it is an eventuality? Are there any other major issues with these cars?
Do you guys think the price point is there?
I have emailed the dealer asking specific questions about the car, but haven't heard anything back yet from them so at this point I am in limbo.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Lotus Evora 400

Quote:
Good luck!
I agree, while I wouldn't buy a used m3 with over 114k without preparing to spend some money to get it running smooth. Don't let mileage fool you. I will definitely plan to drive my m3 to over 114 (hopefully 150k), but its one thing to have known the history of that journey and have done the proper maintenance along the way to keep the car from being a time bomb. So with that said unless its documented well, you're buying it from a forum member with history of the car there are indeed too many variables.

Instagram: boostedtrav_
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14
Quote:
Good luck!
I agree, while I wouldn't buy a used m3 with over 114k without preparing to spend some money to get it running smooth. Don't let mileage fool you. I will definitely plan to drive my m3 to over 114 (hopefully 150k), but its one thing to have known the history of that journey and have done the proper maintenance along the way to keep the car from being a time bomb. So with that said unless its documented well, you're buying it from a forum member with history of the car there are indeed too many variables.
+1
Yes, buying the car from a Forum member might increase the likelihood that the car was well maintained and possibly decrease the possibility that it was beat and abused...but ALWAYS do thorough PPI and get as much info on the vehicle as possible. I much prefer buying the car from the previous owner than from a dealer whose main interest might be different than mine!
Appreciate 1
Bucki14143.50