BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-21-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

Buying advice: 2011 E92 M3 DCT, 79k miles

Hello all, I am a long time M3 owner having owned 2 E46's and an E36. I am currently looking into a vehicle that is suitable for both street and auto x. There is a E92 in my area which seems to fit the bill and wanted to gather some opinions or things to look at for at the car's current point in life. Below is a cut and paste from the add:
  • BMW M3 E92 2011 in AW
  • DCT
  • 79984 miles
  • Clean car fax, no accidents, paint work/body work etc
  • Two-tone red and black interior.
  • New PS4S tires
  • The car has been a CA car it's whole life and currently on it's 3rd owner, the next buyer would be the fourth.
  • CF roof
  • Convenience and Premium package 2

I believe service records are kept from the 2nd owner which serviced at BMW directly. The 3rd owner has records from local/reputable indy shop. The photos are consistent w/ the description as far as i can tell.

Asking is 26.9k but also claims to have an extended 3rd party warranty that covers till 110k or year 2022 (will have to confirm this). As far as I know, I am going to assume that the E92 weak points such as the rod bearings have not been addressed. I will be meeting w/ him tomorrow for more details.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by RE36TRO; 11-21-2019 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

The throttle actuators should have been done and with that mileage a service on the DCT as well. There have been a few relatively minor recalls on the E9x’s so make sure those have been done as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
The throttle actuators should have been done and with that mileage a service on the DCT as well. There have been a few relatively minor recalls on the E9x’s so make sure those have been done as well.
Appreciate that, I will locate the list of recalls and note them on my visit along w/ documentation for the actuators and DCT maint.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Make sure water is draining to the ground and there are no strange vent odors while a/c is running. Evaporator repairs suck under warranty or not.
      11-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE36TRO View Post
Hello all, I am a long time M3 owner having owned 2 E46's and an E36. I am currently looking into a vehicle that is suitable for both street and auto x. There is a E92 in my area which seems to fit the bill and wanted to gather some opinions or things to look at for at the car's current point in life. Below is a cut and paste from the add:
  • BMW M3 E92 2011 in AW
  • DCT
  • 79984 miles
  • Clean car fax, no accidents, paint work/body work etc
  • Two-tone red and black interior.
  • New PS4S tires
  • The car has been a CA car it's whole life and currently on it's 3rd owner, the next buyer would be the fourth.
  • CF roof
  • Convenience and Premium package 2

I believe service records are kept from the 2nd owner which serviced at BMW directly. The 3rd owner has records from local/reputable indy shop. The photos are consistent w/ the description as far as i can tell.

Asking is 26.9k but also claims to have an extended 3rd party warranty that covers till 110k or year 2022 (will have to confirm this). As far as I know, I am going to assume that the E92 weak points such as the rod bearings have not been addressed. I will be meeting w/ him tomorrow for more details.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Like others have said, rod bearings, throttle actuators and the dct oil pan and/or mechatronics unit (not as common as the main pan) are the real issues you need to take a look at. Other common issues you see are valve cover gaskets and the thermostat and possibly the oil pan gasket. Some cars have the oil fill cap leakage issue as well - when the powder coating on the top of the fill area chips and doesn't allow the cap to make a full seal. I have that issue with mine.

Mine needed the DCT oil pan replaced. My valve cover gaskets have a tiny bit of seepage but nothing that needs urgent repair. I believe my thermostat needs to be replaced at some point too (takes too long for heat to come through the vents). I did have my RBs done as a preventative measure.

I am not sure if my TAs have been replaced before but I did purchase low mileaged TAs and replaced the gears with brand new ones just in case mine go.
Appreciate 0