BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-04-2018, 04:20 AM   #1
Rjacutin
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Pls help with recent E90 M3 Rod bearing replacement

I have a quick question regarding a recent RB replacement. I was hoping that somebody would be able to answer it since most of us are baffled we couldn’t figure out what it is. so I have a 2008 E90 m3 with 116k on it, Upon replacing the rod bearings, cylinder 2 has the most wear on it that it shows the copper layer. The copper layer was smooth with no chipping. Upon inspecting the crank journal and the bearing itself, there was no scoring on the journals or damage to it. I took some pictures of the bearings from cylinder 1 through 8. I noticed that the bearing that has the most wear which is cylinder 2...the backside of it was shinier than the others. I examined it closely and found out that the shiny part was actually a wear that also shows the copper layer on the sides of the backside of the bearing. The bearing didn’t Spun or move out of its place because the tabs/notches are intact and doesn’t have any wear or marks on them.

Now, my question at this point is: why is there wear on the backside of the bearing when the bearing did not spun?? the tabs/notches are fine. Is there any play on it? defective connecting rods etc.??

Attached are the photos of all the bearings. particularly the cylinder 2 bearings and its close-up pictures.

Your reply is greatly appreciated, thank you very much
Attached Images

Last edited by Rjacutin; 10-04-2018 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

that just looks like some kind of machine work. see how it goes in like a diamond shape (diagonally) there is no way those things were moving around in there like that to make those score marks. plus, the tabs would be jacked up.
if your crank looks good, i wouldn't worry about it.
      10-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Wow that 2nd seem to have been close though!
Appreciate 0