BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #23
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Your car (and track journal) are super epic, I need to take some pointers from you and get this car on a diet + invest in better data acquisition.

Apex Pro has a few OBD channels but I'll probably just go back to AiM for reliability purposes.
Thanks. Yeah the journey in that thread has been a fun one. I have tried to never take it for granted. And I've met so many nice people as a result of it. Just at VIR last week, I met turbo_joe , kayha12 and JP Marketing.

Anyway, yeah, the AIM line of products have access to the CAN bus which is so useful. While things like Apex Pro and Catalyst are cool and have nice software, they just don't have the CAN data which at the end of the day ends up being the most important.
Totally agree, luckily my E82 has the same suspension design so it made life easier getting started with this build.

Thanks for being one of the early guinea pigs back in 2015-16 testing the new SPL parts, MCS's, etc... A lot of my decisions on the E82 build were thanks to you along with @warp10's build + @spooni for the weight loss tricks and Alex's @berns two awesome builds.

Very excited to continue with this car, much better engine for driver development vs. BMW turbo engines who's torque can cover up your corner exit mistakes.
      05-20-2022, 03:02 PM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

love this

If I ever see you out there on track, I'll be sure to say hello.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #25
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
love this

If I ever see you out there on track, I'll be sure to say hello.
Please do! I'm trying to get more acquainted with the M track community after 2 years of minimal track time (guess I can blame that on having an 18 month old toddler / buying a new house).

I was actually thinking that it'd be really cool to plan a "OneLap of California" event if we could find a few track days throughout a week. Something like an SF/LA start up to Thunderhill, down to Sonoma/Laguna then to Buttonwillow/Willow Springs (or vice versa based on starting location).

I'm going to start researching which weeks have a cluster of track events that match logistically with a tour north or south throughout CA. Would be awesome to get a private session at 1-2 of the HPDE events (obviously this wouldn't be competitive... maybe... )
      05-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

a "one lap of california" event would actually be pretty sweet. i looked into that one lap of america event a while back and was sort of turned off by the rules... no tow rigs, drive on the same tires you track on, road rally like time constraints.
we could always start up north and head south, and do it in a week and a half or something. thunderhill, sonoma, laguna, buttonwillow, big willow, and chuckwalla. each night after the track is a party and the next day is a travel day... each track is only about 4-5 hours from the next one.
      05-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #27
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
a "one lap of california" event would actually be pretty sweet. i looked into that one lap of america event a while back and was sort of turned off by the rules... no tow rigs, drive on the same tires you track on, road rally like time constraints.
we could always start up north and head south, and do it in a week and a half or something. thunderhill, sonoma, laguna, buttonwillow, big willow, and chuckwalla. each night after the track is a party and the next day is a travel day... each track is only about 4-5 hours from the next one.
The restrictions to 1 set of tires and driving there is kinda cool though. Im surprised Randy Pobst did it in an X3M with A052s. Impressive!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 12:42 AM   #28
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Yeah, it could be really fun and really tiring... Thunderhill is such a great track but it's location doesn't help from a logistics perspective.

Starting in SF would probably make the most sense. Something like Thunderhill -> Sonoma/Laguna -> Buttonwillow -> Willow Springs / CVR -> home.

It could also work in reverse but that drive from Thunderhill to LA for any SoCal people would really suck. (although the drive from Willow Springs to the Bay is awful too). Feels like towing would be ideal but it's so nice to just pull up ready to drive and not being limited to "55mph" between tracks.

I'm down to help plan if other folks are interested, I have baby number 2 coming in December and have the okay from wifey so I'd probably have to go by Fall. Seems like the biggest hurdle will be finding events that align with the driving schedule between NorCal/SoCal.
      05-21-2022, 01:12 AM   #29
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

MR cars are the fastest . See you out there. I'm at Laguna 5/25-26 and 6/19.
Attached Images

05-22-2022, 06:47 PM   #30
aboutsize14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

If you want to give your brakes a fighting chance install some brake ducts /hoses/ backing plates or air deflectors. These cars are heavy as $%^t ! Bigger the better. That along with some quality brake fluid. Your going to extend brake pad life as well with these. Love the E92 btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 08:08 PM   #31
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutsize14 View Post
If you want to give your brakes a fighting chance install some brake ducts /hoses/ backing plates or air deflectors. These cars are heavy as $%^t ! Bigger the better. That along with some quality brake fluid. Your going to extend brake pad life as well with these. Love the E92 btw.
Thanks man. I have the parts from my F80 Brake ducts that pulled air from under the splitter vs using the GT4 splitter ready to go on... That being said, the ST40R's with ST 33 compound pads didn't seem to overheat without ducting over ~15min sessions (still worth it from a wear perspective though). Already have SRF filled up

Now if I didn't have 6 damn weddings to attend this summer I might actually have some time for the track!!
      05-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #32
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Do you plan on doing this as well? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1905157

If so, please let us know how it works. 2k for a steering wheel is a hard one to swallow
      05-23-2022, 12:50 AM   #33
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Do you plan on doing this as well? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1905157

If so, please let us know how it works. 2k for a steering wheel is a hard one to swallow
Yep that fell on the back burner while trying to put the F80 back to stock and jumping balls deep into the E92.

I expect to have the wheel installed by next week and start working on the electronics later in June. I'm leaning towards just deleting all buttons except the horn and paddles since I don't use MDM anyways. I'm

I'll keep the thread updated!
Attached Images

05-23-2022, 10:11 AM   #34
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Woooo I don't think I have seen this at Thunderhill yet, I go there monthly!

If you ever do, see you out there!
      05-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #35
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post
Woooo I don't think I have seen this at Thunderhill yet, I go there monthly!

If you ever do, see you out there!
Haha I've had it for under 2 months, plus it lived in the garage for 3 weeks while being wrenched on.

I've been to Thunderhill once with this car... I'll be there 6/4 with HOD and will probably hit T-Hill West once a month throughout the year whenever there's a cheap Friday event.
      05-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #36
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Quote:
Haha I've had it for under 2 months, plus it lived in the garage for 3 weeks while being wrenched on.

I've been to Thunderhill once with this car... I'll be there 6/4 with HOD and will probably hit T-Hill West once a month throughout the year whenever there's a cheap Friday event.
Oh sweet! I roll with SpeedSF and Turn8 a lot. If you ever go, let me know, we can caravan in a group! Sometimes 8 cars long.

We try to get there early and put up our canopy, spring/summer weather sucks!

05-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #37
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post
Quote:

Oh sweet! I roll with SpeedSF and Turn8 a lot. If you ever go, let me know, we can caravan in a group! Sometimes 8 cars long.

We try to get there early and put up our canopy, spring/summer weather sucks!

Agreed, I used to avoid BW/T-Hill during the summer but I'm not a huge fan of Sonoma/Laguna so I just deal with it now.

I used to run with Turn8 a lot and know Rome. Ran their time attack series a bit back in 2019-20' when I still had the white 1M clone.

I'll hit you up next time I sign up for a SpeedSF/Turn8 event!
      05-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #38
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Which provider is at laguna on 5-26
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
daijc32.50
      05-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #39
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Which provider is at laguna on 5-26
It's Hooked on Driving for the 25-26th.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...-school-449526
      05-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #40
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

@derbo pointed me here. Easiest to go to the Laguna calendar to see who's running when vs. going to all the individual providers websites.

https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/govern...track-calendar
      06-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #41
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Took the car out with some coworkers for a casual day at Thunderhill (3 mile Cyclone) last weekend, first time running with HOD (gotta love catered lunch and salad bar ).

Unfortunately there were downpours Saturday night/Sunday AM and it was my first time at T-Hill on a wet track but the rain kept a lot of people away and the run groups were nice and small.

This was my first time running into splitting issues on my RT660 tires at the wear bars. I know other folks have have had this pop up and I'm pretty sure it's from my aggressive (drifting) 2 weeks back at T-Hill West... this forced me to run 3yr old RE71Rs street tires for most of the day but I was quite impressed by their performance.

After looking at some old data I planned to work on my T1 minimum speed and entry into the T7 kink up the hill most of the day as those high speed turns can cost you many tenths... I ended up running a 2:01.2 in semi-damp track conditions which I'm super happy with.

The car ran great and I'm finally confident revving this engine >8k after a few days on track. So happy to be running NA, barely even miss the lack of torque!

Wifey is preggers so I'll probably be taking a few weeks off while I wait for my Pinnacle roll cage and fix my splitter/bumper after a trailer failure :.

I did get my OMP + Seems Legit Garage Paddles running and love the 330mm wheel, wish I had installed this before the track day. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on a budget DCT racing wheel setup.
slcook541859.50
      06-12-2022, 12:28 AM   #42
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

2:01 is pretty damn solid for damp conditions with Cyclone!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 11:29 AM   #43
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
2:01 is pretty damn solid for damp conditions with Cyclone!
I'm stoked with the time, I was actually a few tenths faster in the morning with cold ambients + slight damp conditions (only standing water was at T6-7 and T11-12) vs the afternoon in 85* heat when the track had dried up.

I hate Thunderhill / Buttonwillow summer weather with a passion : too bad Laguna sound restrictions make driving modded E92s hard to do. Gotta fab up Laguna pipes

Here are more steering wheel pics, loving this thing!
Attached Images

tsk941514.50
slcook541859.50
      06-12-2022, 09:09 PM   #44
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

More details on that wheel!