BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
WBMWKID
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 BMW M3

Ticking while cornering - Ext warranty

Hi guys..my 12 M3 vert has a clicking noise while turning, either left or right. It appears to be coming from the front. The car has only 23k miles on it so I don't think it could be cvt joint or the like. This has been touched on in the forums but I don't think there has been any conclusion. Also no rocks or nails in tires.

As for the extended warranty BMW quoted me $4763 for a 4 year 60k warranty with a $250 deductible. Not bumper to bumper but would cover rod bearings, throttle actuators, and the convertible top mechanics. Worth it or not. I put about 3k mile a year on the car so a lot of the items that go wrong with use may not be an issue in 4 years with projected mileage on the vehicle to be 35k.

I know I should drive it more!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Yep, thats probably it. Needs turning the wheel a bit more often...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Not worth it. Im 10 years in and have had no top issues. You could replace rod bearings and tas for that amount and be done with it. Remember that warranty companies can deny coverage. If you just pay for the repairs you dont have to deal with all that.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Clicking noises while turning in most modern BMW's I've owned have only meant one of two things.

1.) Your ballast is turning on for your headlight on the corresponding side that you're turning at a stop or intersection.

2.) Your steering rack may need to be rebuilt. Expect to pay around $400 for this. Check for any leaking power steering fluid, but this is more than likely the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
WBMWKID
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Not worth it. Im 10 years in and have had no top issues. You could replace rod bearings and tas for that amount and be done with it. Remember that warranty companies can deny coverage. If you just pay for the repairs you dont have to deal with all that.
That is what I was thinking. Close to 5 grand is steep. Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
WBMWKID
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Clicking noises while turning in most modern BMW's I've owned have only meant one of two things.

1.) Your ballast is turning on for your headlight on the corresponding side that you're turning at a stop or intersection.

2.) Your steering rack may need to be rebuilt. Expect to pay around $400 for this. Check for any leaking power steering fluid, but this is more than likely the culprit.
Will take a look. It would seem odd that it would be the steering rack due to the fact that the noise does comes from the left to right depending on direction of the sharp turned. However I wouldn't be surprised. Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00