BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #67
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
You do very nice work. Keep the pictures coming.

Got any more info about the fuel cell? How many pumps? What pump(s)? What pressure? With or without return? With or without fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks. The cell was custom for this app, 15 gallon with a baffled internal collector box, with return, 10 AN fittings. Will run an external pump, maybe two and regulator. Haven't decided which yet. So far a toss-up between twin Bosch 044's and a Weldon. Open to ideas.

On a different note, I have been working with Cosworth for a while now on the engine electronics and they put me in touch with KMS Racing in the Netherlands. KMS will build a the kit with a brand new harness based on Cosworth's Pectel SQ6M ECU and their ICD Plus digital dash. Will run throttle control, fly by wire, dual lambda, and full data logging. Pulled the actuators this am to ship over to them. When installed, plan is for owner of KMS to come over and Karl of Active to come up and do a custom map for the blower on a local dyno. I'm about to head to the airport for a trip to Active for an am meeting to finalize details with them on modifying the intercooler and piping around the grille. The grille will be an interesting carry-on piece tonight. The grille with the IC mounted will then be shipped to C&R for them to do a radiator radiator.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #68
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by In33anity View Post
Thanks. The cell was custom for this app, 15 gallon with a baffled internal collector box, with return, 10 AN fittings. Will run an external pump, maybe two and regulator. Haven't decided which yet. So far a toss-up between twin Bosch 044's and a Weldon. Open to ideas.

On a different note, I have been working with Cosworth for a while now on the engine electronics and they put me in touch with KMS Racing in the Netherlands. KMS will build a the kit with a brand new harness based on Cosworth's Pectel SQ6M ECU and their ICD Plus digital dash. Will run throttle control, fly by wire, dual lambda, and full data logging. Pulled the actuators this am to ship over to them. When installed, plan is for owner of KMS to come over and Karl of Active to come up and do a custom map for the blower on a local dyno. I'm about to head to the airport for a trip to Active for an am meeting to finalize details with them on modifying the intercooler and piping around the grille. The grille will be an interesting carry-on piece tonight. The grille with the IC mounted will then be shipped to C&R for them to do a radiator radiator.
Good call on the standalone ECU. I'll be using AEM Infinity on my project. Similar specs as above.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #69
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good call on the standalone ECU. I'll be using AEM Infinity on my project. Similar specs as above.
We should have talked earlier. I couldn't find anyone with experience putting the AEM on the S65. A nice set-up. Was hard enough doing any stand-alone with a blower and nobody I could find has figured out how to deal with both the anti-theft issues and mapping a blower at the same time on the stock unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #70
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We should have talked earlier. I couldn't find anyone with experience putting the AEM on the S65. A nice set-up. Was hard enough doing any stand-alone with a blower and nobody I could find has figured out how to deal with both the anti-theft issues and mapping a blower at the same time on the stock unit.

The security is a concern of mine as well. But if we get stumped we can always bypass the security and use a hard wired on off switch. Then either use a stand alone dash or convert the can bus messages to the ones the BMW dash will use. I already know most of those. I assume you will use a standalone dash anyways. So why do you care about the anti theft checks? Why not jettison the BMW ecu all together? Or am I way off topic and we're talking two different things.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #71
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe

You've got mad skills brother...this project is just ridiculous (the good kind).

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #72
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The security is a concern of mine as well. But if we get stumped we can always bypass the security and use a hard wired on off switch. Then either use a stand alone dash or convert the can bus messages to the ones the BMW dash will use. I already know most of those. I assume you will use a standalone dash anyways. So why do you care about the anti theft checks? Why not jettison the BMW ecu all together? Or am I way off topic and we're talking two different things.
I meant I followed up on Gobuffs suggestion to run the Siemens OEM as a standalone and bypass it's antitheft device. He had Epic do it on his S65 based race car, they actually sell a harness converter and make it fairly easy to run as a standalone using the Siemens, a CAS and key. But when I talked to them, the issue was mapping for the blower. Anyway, I'll run the SQ6M and you the AEM and we'll compare notes for the next project. I'll be using the Cosworth digital dash (ICD) with the data logging upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #73
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Oh man, Subb'ed. Please let us know if this rod is ever up for sale, I'm in. Gonna be a beautiful monster!
      05-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #74
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:

Forgive my questions, but if you're doing all this work and good at fab work, why not just have active send the core and build your own piping on the car. I don't see the point in letting them modify it. I would actually start with a totally different core but that's me. I'm not sure of their new stuff, but they're old core was tube and fin if I'm not mistaken and I would much rather have a bar/plate setup.

In any event, (for fuel) look into Fuel Lab fuel setups as they are beautiful and will work with anything you throw at it.

I don't know too much about weldon, but one bosch 044 should suffice also. I don't see a need for 2. I would also check out the Aeromotive A1000 with digital controller that will let you scale down the pump depending on what your needs are to prevent trying to overrun the regulator.

Sounds like its coming along nicely.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #75
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:

Check with Mike from Maximum Psi. He builds some pretty badass turbo M3 cars and is in NJ and also may be able to help. Very nice guy to that you can call and pick his brain. I'm sure he would get a kick out of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #76
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Forgive my questions, but if you're doing all this work and good at fab work, why not just have active send the core and build your own piping on the car. I don't see the point in letting them modify it. I would actually start with a totally different core but that's me. I'm not sure of their new stuff, but they're old core was tube and fin if I'm not mistaken and I would much rather have a bar/plate setup.

In any event, (for fuel) look into Fuel Lab fuel setups as they are beautiful and will work with anything you throw at it.

I don't know too much about weldon, but one bosch 044 should suffice also. I don't see a need for 2. I would also check out the Aeromotive A1000 with digital controller that will let you scale down the pump depending on what your needs are to prevent trying to overrun the regulator.

Sounds like its coming along nicely.
Thanks, we are doing a different core with custom tanks to lay out properly. I will then fabricate the piping. Hadn't seen the Fuel Lab stuff before. Does look really nice. Thanks for all the ideas. -- I
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #77
socrates42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan / 04 WRX

Wow, great build Its great to see someone with the resources and also the vision, to cook up a build like this. You even bought a Bridgeport instead of outsourcing. Keep the updates coming
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #78
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

With the kids home for the Summer, haven't had a chance to post an update the last few weekends. In no particular order.

The biggest worry with running the supercharger on the BMW S65 has been making sure we are properly cooled to prevent detonation. The biggest obstacle has been aesthetically getting a properly sized and designed radiator and intercooler to look right behind the ’33 grille. It’s finally coming together. Heads up to Active Autowerke who did an amazing job building me an intercooler and mounting it to the grille so it all lays out at the 26 degree slope of the Grille and the outlet is a straight shot down the center of 3” tubing directly into the plenum. The mounted intercooler and grille is now in transit and on in its way to C&R to do up the radiator.

In addition, adding extra cooling protection through the oil system. Just mocked up, welded in brackets and plumbed both the engine oil cooler and the supercharger oil cooler this past weekend, and finished milling a bracket for the reservoir for the supercharger since I couldn't find one commercially I liked and the one that came with it looked really too cheap to be mounted in such a prominent spot on an open firewall in a car that will run without hood, fenders and side panels. Decided to mount both coolers in the rear so the extra distance in the hose acts as additional cooler. Additionally ran mammoth 12AN lines and a NASCAR WIX filter for extra oil capacity for the motor. Put the engine oil cooler with a fan in the bottom of the trunk horizontally to draw fresh air over the rear end and I'll have a shroud made up to dump it out the other side out the back. I put the SC cooler on the passenger side just behind the rear bulkhead and just below the floor line. I'll mount the transmission cooler in the same spot on the driver's side. Need to pick up some additional fittings, much bigger rivnuts and fasteners to mount the hose length to the frame to finish it up, but here's where it was at at the end of the weekend.

I've crossed the bridge on exhaust layout and decided to shave the doors and run traditional side pipes which is what opened up the space for the SC and trans coolers. Been spending time with Active designing a custom set to work with the S65.

Of course every step forward seems to require a tweak to something I’ve done before and this time is no different. Don’t believe the clearances for fittings and lines provided online when laying out components. The 12AN oil block fittings just hit the alternator belt. Fortunately, I had an open accessory pulley in the middle off the crank, so some aluminum spacers and a move 1 1/16th forward and will be all set.

Similarly finally got the belt for the SC from NAPA on Saturday and when went to install realized the belt tensioner the pulley layout is designed around to clear the frame puts tension counterclockwise and I need tension clockwise. After some expletive moments, discovered online and had confirmed yesterday that the tensioner for the much earlier E30 N52 is virtually the same design and puts tension clockwise. Even better, my buddy who’s been helping out when he can had a spare one in his toolbox.

The Getrag 6 speed manual transmission has a much smaller footprint and bell housing then the transmissions the Factory Five transmission tunnel was built for. Nationwide Auto Parts in Central Valley NY (who have been great to work with and through whom I sourced the drivetrain) cutout the stock M3 tunnel for me at a price I couldn’t refuse so I can use it as a mold on the inside as I can go a little smaller and lay up my own out of glass. Began the process of mocking up the mold in place this weekend. It will mate up to the recently installed for mock-up firewall. Had to build a new lower driver side panel to mate with the footbox mods I’m doing in steel for the floor pedals with the master cylinders outside the footbox, but inset and under the firewall, yet accessible.

Last weekend I finally got around to start the install of the brakes and the 12.88 Wilwoods which I ordered with the kit and looked massive for the last six months in the box, just looked way too small on the HRE wheels up front. In addition, I hadn’t really done anything about the rear yet. Thanks to the ffcars forum, the Wilwoods sold same day and will find a great home and look proportionally correct on a Cobra.

In keeping with the project as more of a traditional hot rod build, decided to do my own BBK kit. Found a set of brand new, but blemished (which is great because I was going to powdercoat to match anyway!) so massively discounted, 2013 ZR1 Brembo 4 piston rear calipers, and a set of Brembo 8 piston calipers off a Lamborghini Gallardo for the front. I’m in the process of finalizing an order of 380X34 slotted iron rotors all around with the Mustang GT hats up front and the correct BMW M3 parking brake hats in the rear. Plan is to put the Bridgeport to work and mill brackets out of the harder 7075 billet.

Tons of other attention to lead time parts for the rest of the project, but that’s what I got for now. --I
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #79
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Thanks for the SUPER Update!

Them BRAKES!!!
      06-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #80
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys!!!

How's that for an amazing custom job from Active Autowerke!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #81
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys!!!

How's that for an amazing custom job from Active Autowerke!!!
I think the AA logo is a nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #82
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Sick update!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #83
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

This thread is dangerous. Can't wait for the next update!

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #84
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
Just saw this thread.
Awesome!
I plan on building a 33 from Factory five in a few years, so this thread is nice to see.
Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      06-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #85
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
just read this thread and it is EPIC, awesome build
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #86
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

IS THIS REAL LIFE?
      06-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #87
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Awesome build!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:28 AM   #88
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry about lack of updates last few weeks. With the kids home from school and a sizzling acquisition market keeping me crazed at work it's been hard to find time in the garage. That said, both kids leave middle of next month and I've been as busy as a squirrel hoarding nuts gathering parts and finalizing design decisions for a big end of Summer early fall push to get it running.

1. Front Hubs. The FF comes with Mustang Hubs, 4.5"X5 lug pattern. In the rear, I have the M3 hubs with 5X120 lugs. The Lambo wheels I'm running are also 5x120. After a year of research, it turns out the Mustang hubs are industry standard part number 313115 and the e46 M3 front hubs are 313125, and they are almost identical. The Mustang kingpin is smaller than the e46. With one pair of both hubs, I'm having a machine shop turn down the larger races on the Mustang Hubs to fit the e46, which will now allow the e46 hubs to fit on the Mustang kingpins with 5X120 lug pattern all around. Should be back from the machine shop by the weekend. At the same time, I'm having the Lambo wheels center bore enlarged to fit the BMW hubs.

2. I've spent a great deal of time designing the brakes, but didn't want to order rotors till I settled and solved the lug pattern on the front hubs. Alex at Racing Brakes has been amazing!!!! I needed a shallow rotor, a 5X120 pattern, and the correct anulus to fit the Brembo 8 pot Gallardo front calipers and the Brembo 4 pot ZR1 calipers in the rear. Has been like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and I was coming to the conclusion that I was going to be machining my own hats, but the 2009 CTSV 370X34 rotors seem to fit the bill on all counts, which is what I'll be running on all four corners with very aggressive pads. Ordered 7075 aluminum on EBAY and have began roughing out the brackets on the Bridgeport. To get the parking brake to work, I've abandoned the M3 drum set-up and picked up a pair of Brembo handbrake calipers on EBAY off an F430 Ferrari. I found a motorcycle shop to make custom ebrake cables. More 7075 for the handbrake brackets.

In Summary, front is 8 pot Lambo Gallardo Brembo's with 370X34 RB rotors, rear is 4 pot ZR1 Brembo's with 370X34 RB Rotors and Brembo (Ferrari F430) handbrake calipers.

3. Serpentine Belts. With the oil fittings mounted I needed to move the water pump/alternator belt one slot forward. I have a machine shop lathe turning a balanced spacer for the water pump and I'll use bushings to move the alternator forward.

4. The Active kit came with a counterclockwise tensioner. To clear the frame I need a clockwise tensioner. Has been another needle in a haystack search, but have one coming in the mail this week and fingers crossed will work.

5. Fair amount of time with C&R finalizing the radiator, The Driveshaft Shop finalizing the carbon shaft and KMS on the EMS. Turns out the Pectel ECU is designed to work with one electronic throttle (fly by wire) and secondary air is read as a second throttle. KMS is testing a design to run both this week.

6. Check out the two part series on the build that Active Autowerke put up recently on their blog.

Part 1: http://activeautowerkeblog.wordpress...sche-graffiti/

Part 2:
http://activeautowerkeblog.wordpress...graffiti-pt-2/
Appreciate 0