BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #45
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

+1000 for the MK7 GTI. I used to daily one when I had my F82!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #46
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
E46 M3.
      09-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #47
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Thanks for everyone's replies and sorry for my absenteeism. My E90 was unfortunately totaled out about three weeks ago and plans have been changing drastically as a result.

I think we'll be picking up a nice, clean E91, and I'll drive the Jeep into the ground until I can find another car to replace the E90M. As of right now, a decent LCI E46M in LSB is at the top of the list, but we'll see where the cards land!
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      09-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #48
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies and sorry for my absenteeism. My E90 was unfortunately totaled out about three weeks ago and plans have been changing drastically as a result.

I think we'll be picking up a nice, clean E91, and I'll drive the Jeep into the ground until I can find another car to replace the E90M. As of right now, a decent LCI E46M in LSB is at the top of the list, but we'll see where the cards land!
So much YES. That is one of my dream cars.

I'll be keeping an eye out for E91s for you in the meantime.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #49
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
As a follow up, we ended up picking up a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. Great versatile thing that I hope to run into the ground some decades from now. So for now we have two Jeeps in the garage with a patient hunt for a replacement for the E90M.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #50
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Good luck on the E90 replacement. Find a good one. Spend extra to get a nice one, they will hold their value strong. Long term classic M car.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #51
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
And here we are some months later still talking about the same things Lengthy post inbound.

Current situation:
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the whistles and bells and such - She drives this daily
2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 without even so much as a kazoo - I drive this daily

I toss between 60 and 80 miles on the baby spartan Jeep each day, and I've got to say that I'm going nuts with its lack of refinement. The wind noise beats you down, the ride is bad (even with the new tires and tons of maintenance I just finished up), and I can't even make a phone call because of the antiquated electronics (even if I updated, the wind noise is so bad because bricks don't fly well through the wind). If we lived and worked in the city, I don't know that I could think of a better car to absorb the potholes and still be small enough to zip through and parallel park wherever. However, we live in the city and work in the 'burbs = long highway commute at high speeds. After we leave here, we'll stick with our jobs but work well north of the 'burbs in the sticks and have a similar highway commute, just coming from a different direction. Skinny of the story is that we will never live near where we work and we gotta have a decent commute.

This old Jeep is dragging me up the walls. We will NOT get rid of it. It is absolutely perfect for when we want to take a trip up to the mountains or the lake and toss our stuff in and not worry about dirtying something up. But a design that is well over thirty years old just can't work in a modern (Atlanta) commute. It is screaming at me to go 75 mph and I'm still getting blasted by everyone because if you're not going at least 20 over, you will cause an accident. Not to mention the only real "feature" it has is an overhead compass and temperature gauge.

Story time over. Tyler needs some wheels for commuting.

Plan:
Her daily/family/trips = 2015 Jeep
My daily = Empty - Needed now
Utility = 2001 Jeep
Toy = Empty - Plan for in a couple years' time

My thought is to get something that is still car guy approved (not for the cool gas station stories but just for something that I know I'll be happy I'm in) and be <$20k so that I'll pay it off quick and redirect funds for a dedicated toy car after we move to the sticks. I'm a simple guy and don't need massaging seats or anything, but there are a few things that I think are necessary:
  • Fun to drive
  • Cool (insert "car guy approved" sticker here)
  • Bluetooth for streaming and making handfree phone calls (or a car that I can easily update this and be integrated)
  • Can handle decent commutes and not wear you out - a car that's a nice place to be
  • Three pedals is awfully close to a requirement depending on the car
  • Pretty reliable and ready to take on some miles - don't mind a little higher maintenance costs, but don't want something that's prone to failure
  • Heated seats would be nice

Right now the top of my list is an F56 (2015+) Mini Cooper S with three pedals. I'm seeing some super nice ones with low miles going for within budget and keep reading that they are much more reliable, less rattle-prone, and more comfortable than the ≤ R56 models. An N18 R56 is a lot of car for the coin, but I hear they're still a pain. What else am I missing in this budget (no VW) that can tackle some highway miles but still be a fun car that won't be spending its life on a lift for maintenance/repairs?

How are the E82 135's? I see stuff like this and get giggity (https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=226776572)
Am I a fool for considering a peasant 996?
What am I not thinking of? I hopped in a Fiesta ST, but I don't know that it really works well for the highway.

My plan is to buy before the end of the year to hopefully take advantage of a dealer's need for EOY #'s.

Thanks for the conversation!
-Tyler

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 12-16-2018 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #52
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Consider a 2011 - 2013 BMW 335iS IR 135iS. In spite of being the same e92 chassis, it drives much different than the e9x M3, the 1 series is more nimble but a tad less refined?
Clean examples of both could be found for around $20K.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #53
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Consider a 2011 - 2013 BMW 335iS IR 135iS. In spite of being the same e92 chassis, it drives much different than the e9x M3, the 1 series is more nimble but a tad less refined?
Clean examples of both could be found for around $20K.
Is 2011+ because N55 > N54? It doesn't really seem that the "is" has much more to offer over the "i" when looking at the 135 cars.

If I get another E90, it will be with an S65 under the hood. Maybe I could find a 2008 E90M on the cheap to use as a daily...

Also, would it even be worth my time to consider a 128i over the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #54
GT3fan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90m

Quote:
Is 2011+ because N55 > N54? It doesn't really seem that the "is" has much more to offer over the "i" when looking at the 135 cars.

If I get another E90, it will be with an S65 under the hood. Maybe I could find a 2008 E90M on the cheap to use as a daily...

Also, would it even be worth my time to consider a 128i over the 135i?
If you need power and torque, get the 135i

Otherwise, the 128i is a lot more reliable.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #55
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Gti and especially golf r are fantastic

Lightweight and incredible chassis and damping for the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #56
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
Gti and especially golf r are fantastic

Lightweight and incredible chassis and damping for the price.
No can do! I will not buy another VW. Believe me, I've tried (and wanted) to like them. I've had two since new that both had massive catastrophic failures and tried to buy two others that had big issues. I know it's the perfect car for the scenario, but I won't buy another.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #57
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Right now the top of my list is an F56 (2015+) Mini Cooper S with three pedals. I'm seeing some super nice ones with low miles going for within budget and keep reading that they are much more reliable, less rattle-prone, and more comfortable than the ≤ R56 models. An N18 R56 is a lot of car for the coin, but I hear they're still a pain. What else am I missing in this budget (no VW) that can tackle some highway miles but still be a fun car that won't be spending its life on a lift for maintenance/repairs?
I recently bought a 2015 MCS 6MT. Tons of fun. The gearbox feels way meatier than a GTi (which feels like a PlayStation accessory) and it rev matches downshifts for kicks and giggles when in Sport mode.

I was actually considering a 2015 MC 6MT but they messed the gearing up on the 6MT MC and it's uber long, so that wouldn't work. One sister has a 2017 MC in auto gearbox and it's plenty of fun to drive and brings back the redlining each gear life of the 330 which was entertaining.
The MCS 6MT has proper gearing.

I've convinced two ex gfs to get MCS and the same sister owned a R56 prior to the current F56. It's a big difference. The F feels like a mini BMW, the R does not. I have a lot of seat time in both generations.

The B46/48 engine in this thing will happily get flash tuned to 290hp which is entertaining, however I have mine stock for the moment. This is a proper full on BMW engine, not the joint developments with PSA/Peugeot from the R series which were junk.

After the 330Ci, E46M and both E9X M3s I did not expect to be able to buy something cheap that was still entertaining to drive, but this car is definitely it!

Obviously some caveats apply. It is still SWD (shit wheel drive, also known as front wheel drive) so do not expect the dynamics of an M car as they are not there.

I've driven the little thing to Ottawa, in winter storms in NY, etc and it handles everything great on winter tires.

Mine has:
6MT
Lounge leather seats
Winter package
No sunroof
Pumkpin yellow with black wheels
Pro nav
LED lights. Definitely get these, they are exceptional
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #58
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I recently bought a 2015 MCS 6MT. Tons of fun. The gearbox feels way meatier than a GTi (which feels like a PlayStation accessory) and it rev matches downshifts for kicks and giggles when in Sport mode.

I was actually considering a 2015 MC 6MT but they messed the gearing up on the 6MT MC and it's uber long, so that wouldn't work. One sister has a 2017 MC in auto gearbox and it's plenty of fun to drive and brings back the redlining each gear life of the 330 which was entertaining.
The MCS 6MT has proper gearing.

I've convinced two ex gfs to get MCS and the same sister owned a R56 prior to the current F56. It's a big difference. The F feels like a mini BMW, the R does not. I have a lot of seat time in both generations.

The B46/48 engine in this thing will happily get flash tuned to 290hp which is entertaining, however I have mine stock for the moment. This is a proper full on BMW engine, not the joint developments with PSA/Peugeot from the R series which were junk.

After the 330Ci, E46M and both E9X M3s I did not expect to be able to buy something cheap that was still entertaining to drive, but this car is definitely it!

Obviously some caveats apply. It is still SWD (shit wheel drive, also known as front wheel drive) so do not expect the dynamics of an M car as they are not there.

I've driven the little thing to Ottawa, in winter storms in NY, etc and it handles everything great on winter tires.

Mine has:
6MT
Lounge leather seats
Winter package
No sunroof
Pumkpin yellow with black wheels
Pro nav
LED lights. Definitely get these, they are exceptional
Excellent advice, Danny. I keep circling back to the F56S and can't find a real alternative for the price with the creature comforts. Sure I could go pick up an S2000 and have twice the fun, but I think I'd be in the same position I am now with a lack of features and refinement.

Questions on the MCS you have:
May be too early to tell, but reliability? I had an R53S which turned into a rattle bucket all too quick. The only thing I've seen about the F56, was a bad review by Motor Trend on their longterm 2014. 2015+ seem to be the bee's knees.
How did you find one without a sunroof but with the NAV? That is exactly what I want.
How is the NAV? Not for its navigation capabilities, but for functionality with the rest of the car. I have to imagine that it is effectively I-Drive and does much, much more than navigation and it will be something I will regret not having.
Are the LEDs a standalone or part of a package? Looks like pretty much everything for this generation is a la carte (which probably answers my question of no sunroof/yes NAV).
Lastly, what did you pay for yours and when (if you don't mind me asking)? Yours seems to be a very similar spec to what I want, but prices are all over the place.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #59
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Excellent advice, Danny. I keep circling back to the F56S and can't find a real alternative for the price with the creature comforts. Sure I could go pick up an S2000 and have twice the fun, but I think I'd be in the same position I am now with a lack of features and refinement.

Questions on the MCS you have:
May be too early to tell, but reliability? I had an R53S which turned into a rattle bucket all too quick. The only thing I've seen about the F56, was a bad review by Motor Trend on their longterm 2014. 2015+ seem to be the bee's knees.
How did you find one without a sunroof but with the NAV? That is exactly what I want.
How is the NAV? Not for its navigation capabilities, but for functionality with the rest of the car. I have to imagine that it is effectively I-Drive and does much, much more than navigation and it will be something I will regret not having.
Are the LEDs a standalone or part of a package? Looks like pretty much everything for this generation is a la carte (which probably answers my question of no sunroof/yes NAV).
Lastly, what did you pay for yours and when (if you don't mind me asking)? Yours seems to be a very similar spec to what I want, but prices are all over the place.

I think people talk too much smack when it comes to cars.

I have two M3s. The last thing I want in the whole world is another car that I put in a pedestal and bow to every morning. I do not need another 'sports car' and whatever I buy is not going to shadow the M3 in any way

Hell would freeze over before I buy any ancient relics to turn into a DD. I've put 180k miles (each) on 3 E46s and am not doing that again. I'm not going to spend my weekends which are already consumed tracking, upgrading, repairing and maintaining the 3 E9Xs and X5 working on the DD.

I did consider the current Civic Si (like the LSD) and the current MX5. A quick glance at the forum of the Miata spoke about gearbox issues and I already knew it would require tons of modding to try to turn it into a Mini M3.
Also seriously considered a 230i manual with the MSport package but was dissuaded when a master BMW mechanic said to run away from the N20 engine.

Some friends question why I drive a MCS as a daily but listen, I have nothing to prove. I spend an ridiculous amount of time tracking and in AER... I just want a fun car to drive every day.

I wasn't looking for the non-sunroof but it was a welcome addition. Again, the X5 has a wonderful double sunroof and the rest of the cars do not.

The nav is excellent, it is whichever version of idrive is in 2015 X5s. Not as nice as the G series nav but still excellent. I'm retrofitting the rear view camera which was not optioned and also adding Android Auto and CarPlay to the system which will be pretty awesome.

I did not care for nav when looking at the options (HK sound, LED and heated cloth seats were the options I really wanted) but now I am very happy to have it.

LEDs are standalone

When you look at the BMW service histories you see 2014s have quite a few issues. There was an engine recall for a bearing, then 2015s are much better and 2016s are great!

I paid $18k to have it delivered from Florida. 22k miles. I've already put 6k miles on it after buying late October. Zero issues (to be expected as it's new) and no weird creaks or anything.

If you'll be in NY anytime soon I'll lend it to you so you can get a proper drive in.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #60
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I think people talk too much smack when it comes to cars.

I have two M3s. The last thing I want in the whole world is another car that I put in a pedestal and bow to every morning. I do not need another 'sports car' and whatever I buy is not going to shadow the M3 in any way

Hell would freeze over before I buy any ancient relics to turn into a DD. I've put 180k miles (each) on 3 E46s and am not doing that again. I'm not going to spend my weekends which are already consumed tracking, upgrading, repairing and maintaining the 3 E9Xs and X5 working on the DD.

I did consider the current Civic Si (like the LSD) and the current MX5. A quick glance at the forum of the Miata spoke about gearbox issues and I already knew it would require tons of modding to try to turn it into a Mini M3.
Also seriously considered a 230i manual with the MSport package but was dissuaded when a master BMW mechanic said to run away from the N20 engine.

Some friends question why I drive a MCS as a daily but listen, I have nothing to prove. I spend an ridiculous amount of time tracking and in AER... I just want a fun car to drive every day.

I wasn't looking for the non-sunroof but it was a welcome addition. Again, the X5 has a wonderful double sunroof and the rest of the cars do not.

The nav is excellent, it is whichever version of idrive is in 2015 X5s. Not as nice as the G series nav but still excellent. I'm retrofitting the rear view camera which was not optioned and also adding Android Auto and CarPlay to the system which will be pretty awesome.

I did not care for nav when looking at the options (HK sound, LED and heated cloth seats were the options I really wanted) but now I am very happy to have it.

LEDs are standalone

When you look at the BMW service histories you see 2014s have quite a few issues. There was an engine recall for a bearing, then 2015s are much better and 2016s are great!

I paid $18k to have it delivered from Florida. 22k miles. I've already put 6k miles on it after buying late October. Zero issues (to be expected as it's new) and no weird creaks or anything.

If you'll be in NY anytime soon I'll lend it to you so you can get a proper drive in.
As always, you da man. Sounds like our interests in having a commuter are cut from the same cloth. Heated cloth, HK sound, nothing to prove. If you happen to stumble upon another of similar spec, please forward it my way. My intentions are to purchase this year!

I was scheduled to be in upstate next month, but I think I've talked my way out if it. I've done Buffalo in January before. I'll stick to the south, thanks
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #61
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
M2 competition. First on my list.
      12-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #62
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
M2 competition. First on my list.
Find me one that's <$20k and I'll buy two!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:08 AM   #63
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Took a trip yesterday and came back home with a new car to drive every day! I've only had highway time really as of yet since it was a day trip to go get it, but I'm pretty stoked! Weather is a bit up in the air right now for tomorrow, but I'm planning for a decent run up to the mountains to get to know it. Been keeping my eyes open pretty much since I started this thread however many months ago for a car with some specific options, and my new to me 2015 Mini Cooper S popped up for sale a couple hundred miles away at a well-loved BMW dealer. Thanks again for the conversation yesterday, SYT_Shadow

2015 Mini Cooper S 6MT
Moonwalk Grey over Carbon Black leatherette
Comfort Access
Harmon Kardon
Panoramic roof
I-Drive with backup camera, navigation, & HUD
LED lights

Got it well below Blue Book in my top color choice with every option I wanted sans heated seats. Only real plans are to tint the windows, black out the chrome trim pieces to match the roof, and potentially look into removing the stripes, but I can already tell that it will be tough to leave it alone. Dealer was an absolute treat to work with no surprises and super quick transition (shout out to BMW of Columbus!). Also neat to see the new M5 Competition and 8 Series cars.

Only picture I snapped was after getting home and parking it in my dirty garage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11421.00
m3jala543.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
NoHedge67.50
      12-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #64
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Congrats OP, that's a nice car for sure!
It should feel different than BMWs...
Does it drive considerably lighter than the M3?
How's the sound insulation on freeway speeds?
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #65
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Congrats!
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #66
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Congrats OP, that's a nice car for sure!
It should feel different than BMWs...
Does it drive considerably lighter than the M3?
How's the sound insulation on freeway speeds?
It absorbs a lot. Surprisingly more than I would have thought. Would be twice as good without these crappy runflat tires. It goes faster than it feels. My old R53 would have to have its neck strangled to get going and you felt great pushing it. With this one, I'll look down at the speedo (or rather the HUD) and be like "oh shit." It's a doll on the highway and zero need to get out of 6th to pass; its max torque is like 1200 RPM. The car is a damn spaceship for its size and power going from first to second under even 1/3rd power. You will certainly surprise yourself at the speed it will effortlessly carry through a corner. Overall a very surprising package, but it does feel electronically nannied. Comparatively, I'd say this is the F8x and the R56 S is the E9x. Faster and quicker and better in just about every way, but the R56 is more rewarding to get you to its limit. But for a car to drive every day, you HAVE to pick the F56 S. It is perfect in every way. We just did last minute Christmas shopping and lunch. Loaded the boot up with stuff, parallel parked it here in the tight parked city, jammed out to a nice HK sound through the immediate Bluetooth, and giggled at the exhaust pops. Probably got 40 mpg while doing it, too.

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 12-23-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0