BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Arrow TORQ TorqX vs PORTER-CABLE 7424XP

Am a newbie to polishing and was wondering if anyone has experience with any of these polishers. TORQX seems to be a relatively new product and is seen in all of the chemical guys videos. The porter cable has been around for a while. I am not sure which one I should go with. Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...8896903&sr=8-1

http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductD...mpaign=BUF503X

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

You might also want to consider the Griots GG6. I've been using mine for about 3 years now and absolutely love it. A little quieter than the Porter, more power than the Porter.

http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-...bital+polisher

Combine that with the Meguiars microfiber correcting kit and it's an extremely easy to use kit for beginners that will get you amazing results.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-DMCKI...ber+correcting

-Nick

Last edited by e46m3to335i; 04-28-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

I own a PC and owned a TorqX (returned and bought a Torq10FX). TorqX is far better than the PC. I'm a huge advocate against the PC and outright despise it for its poor balance when using, horrible vibrations and how slowly it corrects paint. For most girls it's almost impossible to use. It sucks. Don't buy a PC. TorqX was a lot better, but it's still a cheap machine. There's panel gaps, a crappy dial and some other minor annoyances.
Just the motor in the Torq10fx costs $86 in materials, which costs more than the entire TorqX machine's costs by a lot. So I think that upgrade is worth it. I often use my 10Fx one handed. Still, if you are choosing between the PC and the TorqX, I would go for the TorqX. You'll eventually upgrade to a $200 one, then again upgrade to a $400 one (that's what I'm doing, I'm buying a BOSS G15).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
I own a PC and owned a TorqX (returned and bought a Torq10FX). TorqX is far better than the PC. I'm a huge advocate against the PC and outright despise it for its poor balance when using, horrible vibrations and how slowly it corrects paint. For most girls it's almost impossible to use. It sucks. Don't buy a PC. TorqX was a lot better, but it's still a cheap machine. There's panel gaps, a crappy dial and some other minor annoyances.
Just the motor in the Torq10fx costs $86 in materials, which costs more than the entire TorqX machine's costs by a lot. So I think that upgrade is worth it. I often use my 10Fx one handed. Still, if you are choosing between the PC and the TorqX, I would go for the TorqX. You'll eventually upgrade to a $200 one, then again upgrade to a $400 one (that's what I'm doing, I'm buying a BOSS G15).
Thanks. I plan to use it only once or twice a year. Would you still think I need to go with the Torq10fx? Does it have that much added benefit over the TorqX?

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks. I plan to use it only once or twice a year. Would you still think I need to go with the Torq10fx? Does it have that much added benefit over the TorqX?
Oh only once or twice a year? You'll be fine with the X then. The 10fx has better balance, almost like its on autopilot when it's on the paint, and a cool digital dial. And it bogs down less. If you're doing paint correction get a 4 inch backing plate as well. Wait for one of they're sales and they may come with a combo pack with a 4in backing plate. The reason I say you need one is the X will bog down on corners and creases in the body panel of the pad is too big, so a smaller pad will compensate for that. It's just annoying changing out the backing plates (on the 10fx at least) and if you tighten it too much the balance will be bad, if it is just loosen it a bit. Not a big deal. But now that means you need to get multiple pads and plates that bring the price closer to the 10fx. I guess on the M3 you don't have to worry about panel creases as much as other cars since the panels are mostly flat. Ok, so you should be fine with an X with a 5 inch plate and orange and white pads, or go more aggressive if you have more swirls. Still, wait for one of their sales or combo deals. If you have any other questions let me know.
Remember, you can also apply waxes a lot better with a machine than by hand (of your paint is clean and clay barred). So you may end up using it more than once or twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I started with the PC many, many years ago, I think when they were first released. I had started detailing with the PC and the Griot Pads/Products, we're taking early 2 000 here. As I had no reference point the PC was a revelation to me, but yes, it still entailed a great deal of work. My next RA was the Flex, and, once again, it was a revelation as it cut down the work (effort + time) required to correct paint, and it did/does a better job. I am curious to move up to the "Next" best thing and was wondering is the Torx is better than the Rupes?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

I have one of the old PC that Griot's sold back in the day. Borrowed a Flex from a buddy and decided to treat myself with a Rupes. Haven't had a chance to test drive the Rupes yet...too many other things needing to get done on the cars.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks. No way will I risk my novice skills on my M3, not till I have done this a few times on my other cars. This is for my black Acura TL which has quite a few swirl marks and some holograms. I was planning on using the orange pad but undecided on the compound. I don't have the patience or the time (2 toddlers) for doing multiple stages so was looking to do a single stage trying to decide between the VSS scratch and swirl remover and the V36. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Oh only once or twice a year? You'll be fine with the X then. The 10fx has better balance, almost like its on autopilot when it's on the paint, and a cool digital dial. And it bogs down less. If you're doing paint correction get a 4 inch backing plate as well. Wait for one of they're sales and they may come with a combo pack with a 4in backing plate. The reason I say you need one is the X will bog down on corners and creases in the body panel of the pad is too big, so a smaller pad will compensate for that. It's just annoying changing out the backing plates (on the 10fx at least) and if you tighten it too much the balance will be bad, if it is just loosen it a bit. Not a big deal. But now that means you need to get multiple pads and plates that bring the price closer to the 10fx. I guess on the M3 you don't have to worry about panel creases as much as other cars since the panels are mostly flat. Ok, so you should be fine with an X with a 5 inch plate and orange and white pads, or go more aggressive if you have more swirls. Still, wait for one of their sales or combo deals. If you have any other questions let me know.
Remember, you can also apply waxes a lot better with a machine than by hand (of your paint is clean and clay barred). So you may end up using it more than once or twice a year.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

I've heard good things about Zentool, anyone use one?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. No way will I risk my novice skills on my M3, not till I have done this a few times on my other cars. This is for my black Acura TL which has quite a few swirl marks and some holograms. I was planning on using the orange pad but undecided on the compound. I don't have the patience or the time (2 toddlers) for doing multiple stages so was looking to do a single stage trying to decide between the VSS scratch and swirl remover and the V36. Any suggestions?
Haha I cannot imagine free time with 2 toddlers. While I like the Torq polishers for the money, I would skip their V line (UNLESS you can get one of those combo deals on sale for the same price as just the polisher itself, they do that from time to time). I would recommend HD Speed with either a blue or white pad. Blue if you dont have that many swirls, white if you have a normal amount of swirls. Dont do orange if you only plan on doing I go around, since it won't leave a good finish. You definitely cant go wrong with HD Speed and a White pad, then follow up every 6-12 months with a blue pad.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #11
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I have one of the old PC that Griot's sold back in the day. Borrowed a Flex from a buddy and decided to treat myself with a Rupes. Haven't had a chance to test drive the Rupes yet...too many other things needing to get done on the cars.
Nice upgrade! I've been picking between the Rupes and BOSS for awhile. Please chime back in after you use it. I think the 'old' PC is the same as the current one. On Amazon it says its the same product for the past 10+ years.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #12
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I started with the PC many, many years ago, I think when they were first released. I had started detailing with the PC and the Griot Pads/Products, we're taking early 2 000 here. As I had no reference point the PC was a revelation to me, but yes, it still entailed a great deal of work. My next RA was the Flex, and, once again, it was a revelation as it cut down the work (effort + time) required to correct paint, and it did/does a better job. I am curious to move up to the "Next" best thing and was wondering is the Torx is better than the Rupes?
I do not think either the Torq10FX or the Torq22D are as good as the way more expensive Rupes.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha I cannot imagine free time with 2 toddlers. While I like the Torq polishers for the money, I would skip their V line (UNLESS you can get one of those combo deals on sale for the same price as just the polisher itself, they do that from time to time). I would recommend HD Speed with either a blue or white pad. Blue if you dont have that many swirls, white if you have a normal amount of swirls. Dont do orange if you only plan on doing I go around, since it won't leave a good finish. You definitely cant go wrong with HD Speed and a White pad, then follow up every 6-12 months with a blue pad.
Thanks. I was all set on the orange pad watching the chemical guys videos. Is it too light? Why doesn't it leave a good finish? What a good place to buy HD speed?

Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I was all set on the orange pad watching the chemical guys videos. Is it too light? Why doesn't it leave a good finish? What a good place to buy HD speed?

Thanks again for the help.
Orange pad can leave some hazing or won't give a mirror finish because it's mainly just trying to get swirls out. You might see the paint as a little cloudy after an orange pad which is why you can never use orange as a one step polish pad. Any white pad or any pad less aggressive than white will give more of a mirror finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Nice upgrade! I've been picking between the Rupes and BOSS for awhile. Please chime back in after you use it. I think the 'old' PC is the same as the current one. On Amazon it says its the same product for the past 10+ years.
Will do. I bought a 3" backing plate to put on the PC. It'll be doing the tight spots from now on.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0