BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

02-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #507
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
You need to be patient. The most important thing with mod is, you need to do as soon as you get the error code. If you keep clearing the codes and wait for your sweet time, you will burn the unit, and even after the mod you will get error codes.

I suggest doing the mod as a preventative or as soon as you get codes. Good luck!
lol...I'm not sure how you construed my previous comment as being impatient?? I only have 16K miles so no codes yet but I wanted to know if the ebay gears are quality parts and if they are I'll replace mine now as a preventative measure.
      02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #508
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by javarithms View Post
lol...I'm not sure how you construed my previous comment as being impatient?? I only have 16K miles so no codes yet but I wanted to know if the ebay gears are quality parts and if they are I'll replace mine now as a preventative measure.
Lol I'm not sure either, maybe replied to the wrong post? I'm doing this preventively as well, as I have not thrown any codes from either bank @ 72k miles, but I do not want to press my luck as I perceive a little bit of resistance under certain throttle angles.

I'll post back as soon as I've got these installed. Doing the ICV and fuel purge valve preemptively as well while I'm in there, and lastly cleaning/lubing the ITB linkages and cleaning the throttle plates. I'm liking the fact that this set comes with the half gear premolded to the shaft instead of a harrowing drill/pin ordeal with the odometergears set; should make installation significantly simpler. Doing some research on the company producing these it seems to be a haven of automotive odds and ends custom made for niche failure points/applications. Seems to be a subsidiary of a surgical equipment manufacturer, so here's hoping the parts are as high-quality as they looks in the pics.

editL Looks like the odometergears set is getting cheaper too through vendors. Here's one for $110:
https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/new...ml?3593=556050

Last edited by Shredicus; 02-09-2016 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #509
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Lol I'm not sure either, maybe replied to the wrong post? I'm doing this preventively as well, as I have not thrown any codes from either bank @ 72k miles, but I do not want to press my luck as I perceive a little bit of resistance under certain throttle angles.

I'll post back as soon as I've got these installed. Doing the ICV and fuel purge valve preemptively as well while I'm in there, and lastly cleaning/lubing the ITB linkages and cleaning the throttle plates. I'm liking the fact that this set comes with the half gear premolded to the shaft instead of a harrowing drill/pin ordeal with the odometergears set; should make installation significantly simpler. Doing some research on the company producing these it seems to be a haven of automotive odds and ends custom made for niche failure points/applications. Seems to be a subsidiary of a surgical equipment manufacturer, so here's hoping the parts are as high-quality as they looks in the pics.

editL Looks like the odometergears set is getting cheaper too through vendors. Here's one for $110:
https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/new...ml?3593=556050
Great thanks I agree the odometergears look too complicated, for me at least.
      02-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #510
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Aaand I stumbled across another very detailed writeup for this DIY:
http://bmwbox.uk/forum/viewtopic.php...7c4955534aa872
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #511
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by javarithms View Post
Great thanks I agree the odometergears look too complicated, for me at least.
The Odometer Gears solution is not difficult; the drilling and the spring pin installation is the simple part of the install. Getting the shaft in and out of the assembly, common to all solutions, is the trickier part. But both of those jobs are easy compared to the tedious work of getting the actuators out of the car.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #512
Shredicus
Major
Rep

They're here. Quality seems good, they are very heavy/sturdy feeling and they fit together precisely. Trying to get these in by the end of the day:

Edit:
Here's some pics.
Significant wear on both banks, especially the half gear.

Surprising I hadn't thrown any codes yet.

New gears in:

Started raining, so I'll get them in the car tomorrow.

Notes: Hardest part by far was pressing the press-fit washer on to the new half gear's shaft. I used a method similar to the bmwbox article I linked above, but with a large C-clamp since I dont have a vice. This made it much trickier to line everything up, but I eventually got them on. I'd recommend using a little lube on the shaft /washer before trying to press the washer on, due to the fact that the new shaft hasn't had a washer fitted to it, and may be slightly thicker

Damn that sounds dirty

**BIG UPDATE:**

Well, installed these and the car was pissed. Mind you I had no error codes before; doing this retroactively. Threw misfire code on all cylinders, actuator codes, extremely rough idle and limp mode. Went back through several times and reinstalled everything making sure I didn't miss a connector, and everything looks as it should. So my guess is these gears are junk. Ordered a set of odometergears from the above link for a little under $110 shipped and I'm going to give those a shot and if that fixes this fiasco obviously it will be a case of these gears being faulty. Will post back with updates...

Last edited by Shredicus; 02-14-2016 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #513
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep

One trick I did for reassembly:

I heated the bushing up in boiling water for 20 minutes before pressing the shaft back together. Obviously it makes handling tricky,but the bushing expands a little and the interference fit is less and you can reassemble a lot easier. I didn't want to heat it more than 212 F.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #514
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
They're here. Quality seems good, they are very heavy/sturdy feeling and they fit together precisely. Trying to get these in by the end of the day:

Edit:
Here's some pics.

New gears in:

Notes: Hardest part by far was pressing the press-fit washer on to the new half gear's shaft. I used a method similar to the bmwbox article I linked above, but with a large C-clamp since I dont have a vice. This made it much trickier to line everything up, but I eventually got them on. I'd recommend using a little lube on the shaft /washer before trying to press the washer on, due to the fact that the new shaft hasn't had a washer fitted to it, and may be slightly thicker

Damn that sounds dirty

Well, installed these and the car was pissed. Mind you I had no error codes before; doing this retroactively. Threw misfire code on all cylinders, actuator codes, extremely rough idle and limp mode. Went back through several times and reinstalled everything making sure I didn't miss a connector, and everything looks as it should. So my guess is these gears are junk. Ordered a set of odometergears from the above link for a little under $110 shipped and I'm going to give those a shot and if that fixes this fiasco obviously it will be a case of these gears being faulty. Will post back with updates...
Thanks for doing this!

I don't have a money tree in my backyard, but I'm almost tempted to just buy an entire new unit from BMW and not deal with this hassle. Let us know how it goes!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #515
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 JEREZ M3

WOW, that really sucks. They looked like good quality.. Any reason why they failed? Will you be returning them?

Quote:

Edit:
Here's some pics.

New gears in:

Damn that sounds dirty

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #516
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
One trick I did for reassembly:

I heated the bushing up in boiling water for 20 minutes before pressing the shaft back together. Obviously it makes handling tricky,but the bushing expands a little and the interference fit is less and you can reassemble a lot easier. I didn't want to heat it more than 212 F.
That is an awesome tip. I'll definitely do that this time around with the odometergears setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Thanks for doing this!

I don't have a money tree in my backyard, but I'm almost tempted to just buy an entire new unit from BMW and not deal with this hassle. Let us know how it goes!
Haha yeah I hear you there. Being a guinea pig can definitely backfire. I'll report back when I've got the odometergears set installed and hopefully not give my car a seizure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinfinity View Post
WOW, that really sucks. They looked like good quality.. Any reason why they failed? Will you be returning them?
Yeah, it's a real bummer. After I installed them in the housing I was concerned that there felt like a significant amount of play between the reduction gear and half gear probably just due to the tolerances not being tight enough. I've already contacted the company about the issue and they replied as such:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have had with our kit. We really do think you got a very poor set as we've had some pleasant reports from other users.

Under your purchase agreement we can offer the following options:

1. No quibbles return guarantee used or unused, the items just come back to us in Sheffield and we will issue a full refund.
2. We ship a new set out to you, once you are happy you can return the faulty parts back to us.

As your fault is quite serious we really would need the parts you received to come back to us so we can do an inspection into why this problem has arisen in the first place.

Let us know how you wish to proceed and we will do our best to keep you satisfied from here onwards.
So I'm once-bitten twice-shy about things like this and have opted for a refund, but the customer service response was very quick and appropriate. It's entirely possible I just got a defective set, but I'm not going to take the risk of its happening again.

***UPDATE:***

Got the odometergears set installed and they're working great. Very nice snug fit between the new gears when I compared to the other set of gears I just removed. Install was involved, but not particularly difficult especially when heating the press-fit bushings per JonM's advice.

I was also lucky enough to snap off a spark plug in the block that was torqued to spec. Good time to learn how to use an easy out:

Anyway throttle openings feel very fluid now compared to when I had my worn but functional original gears,especially at lower rpms where I felt some stutter/resistance before.

Last edited by Shredicus; 02-19-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #517
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Shredicus , mind if I give you a call to come over to my place if I run into any trouble while attempting this repair myself? (I'm serious)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #518
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Shredicus , mind if I give you a call to come over to my place if I run into any trouble while attempting this repair myself? (I'm serious)
Hey not at all! After the issues I ran into I got pretty intimately acquainted with this installation/removal process.

Only trouble I can see is I may be the board's only Eastern WA member so it may take me a little while to get there
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #519
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was also lucky enough to snap off a spark plug in the block that was torqued to spec. Good time to learn how to use an easy out:
Yikes to the spark plug. When I changed my plugs, a dealer had done them last during free maintenance period. They were greased, and not with anti-sieze... A pretty heavy grease. BMW specifies do not grease spark plug threads because the grease will make the torque inconsistent. I was pretty disappointed.

I am pleased with the Odometer Gears product, and their phone support if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #520
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 JEREZ M3

Anyone willing to perform the installation of the odometer gears set for a fee?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #521
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
why don't they make those gears metal??? why brittle plastic? that's kinda silly
      05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #522
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
why don't they make those gears metal??? why brittle plastic? that's kinda silly
My guess is cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #523
Flea7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT/F48 X1/F430/F12

Garage List
2016 X1  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
2005 Ferrari F430  [0.00]
2014 Ferrari F12 Be ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
My guess is cost.
yes...cost.
A titanium alloy gear set would be great! ... I even think aluminum would work
      05-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #524
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Not all plastic is brittle, and a big advantage is it typically doesn't need lubrication.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #525
MikeBlaszczak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
It really does. Has there been a class-action lawsuit yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #526
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Props to W for this diy. I'm putting back together the harness after replacing one bad actuator and installing odometer gears into the still functioning actuator. I have one loan wire that I can't find the where it plugs in to! I was hoping someone had a picture of their engine showing where this dang wire goes. Been trying to figure it out for 30 min and it's driving me nuts. I did t find a good picture in this thread to compare. I attached pictures. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #527
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

I got it! It's for the plenum! Duh!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #528
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Yep! I was just about to post that to help ya.

Just doing the one actuator? I, too, like to live dangerously.
Appreciate 0