BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #45
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgcdude1 View Post
This will mark the beginning of the end for our M V8's I can see it now!

The M3 V8 dies off at the end of this year or start of the next. IIRC.

- J
      01-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #46
JustABreathAway
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW E90 M3

To all my fellow ///M enthusiasts - Stop voting Democrat.

That is also even better advice to anyone who's going to utilize healthcare in the United States after 2014 (trust me, I'm a doctor.)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #47
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
They need to bring over the diesels. The big, powerful 35d engine can already meet the CAFE requirements, and smaller diesels will be even more efficient. And BMW's modern diesels are just as sporty and fun to drive as their gasoline brethren, something that can't be said about hybrids. It's a case of having your cake and gorging on it too.
+1 I am all for the 123d and 530d and 535d. X20d in the X1 and the X3 as well.

- J
      01-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #48
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I wonder how much additional efficiency could be squeezed out of a system that turns off half the cilinders when they are not needed. Chrysler used this successfully on the Hemi. I believe some of the predictions for future BMW's is they will use start stop systems too. I don't know how well that will work to keep the AC going down here in hotter than hell Houston.

Yup, screw the feds.
To put it plainly, almost none. My brother drives a 300c Hemi whenever he's in Europe, and it gets 15 mpg in mixed driving. I think he got it up to 21 or 22 on the highway once. That's what happens when you have a 5.7 liter engine. I've driven it too, and the transition from 4 to 8 cylinders is a bit jerky and noticeable. There's a delay almost akin to turbo lag. Granted this is the first model year 300c so there may have been improvements in recent years, but I doubt the system as a whole is good for anything more than 1 or 2 mpg, no matter how advanced it becomes.
I dunno, my G8 had the LS2/L76 6.0L V8 with Active Fuel Management (AFM). AFM seemed to really work and was nearly seemless. In normal "D" mode while driving over 35mph with little load on the engine, it would deactivate to 6 then 4 cyl. It certainly increased mileage. I would get about 28 on the highway at 80mph. This was sustained for about an hour on my morning commute. The PA Turn Pike has a lot of hills and bends, so that's pretty good imho.

In "Sport" or "Manual" modes, the AFM threshold was set such that it rarely came on. But, even in D, there wasn't a noticeable delay. There was absolutely zero impact on accessories like A/C, didn't even notice a change in fan sound.

Also, someone mentioned "lag" or "jerkiness" with a V8... No way. That V8 was NA and throttle response was incredible. I do miss that now that I have the 335, but hands down... I love my 335 and am more happy with it - completely di class of car with BMW. There's beauty to the sound of both the N54 and the LSx-series of engines. Not, trying to debate old-school "pushrod power", but you gotta love that V8 sound. Most of the time I drove around between 500-1800rpm...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #49
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABreathAway View Post
To all my fellow ///M enthusiasts - Stop voting Democrat.

That is also even better advice to anyone who's going to utilize healthcare in the United States after 2014 (trust me, I'm a doctor.)
Don't worry, BMW enthusiasts don't vote for democrats. Otherwise they may have to drive a FWD M3 I3-tri-turbo-NG-hybrid-plug-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #50
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
seems like there is a basic assumption in this thread that less cylinders will equal less power. i'd guess this assumption ends up being wrong.

the turbo 4 powerplants in question are going to, in general, make the same or more power as the powerplants they replace...and also get better fuel economy.
You can put a 4cyl in and turbo it out the A$$ and maybe make the same HP, but it's still a 4 and will always be a 4. It will never have the gut wrenching torque and as such wont get any respect from me, but hey thats just me. Until they make it sound like that 4L v8 and look like that v8 I'm not buying into it. While I do understand that oil will run out in 50 years, what are we really gaining with the new MPG ratings. We're extending it 3 years 5 years? I doubt we're buying more than that. Personally I'd rather have a blast for those years. Lets say we all convert to electric. Are we going to put a nuke plant on every street corner to cover the increased power grid load? Are we going to destroy the earth growing corn and soybeans for ethanol and bio-diesel? It is not cost effective to burn coal / oil to convert it into electricity to charge a car. Everytime you change energy you have a loss. What about all of the batteries? Throwing them away every 3 to 5 years in billions of cars? Yeah that's a good idea. Refining oil into fuel is very efficient which is why it's been the top pick for so many years. It's just a shame it has to run out.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #51
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
i say...

screw the federal government

the end!
See Post #46...