BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
577
Rep
3,383
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (25)

...Audi A4 Quattro.

I've been looking for a daily that's a bit friendlier on gas, and on Friday pulled the trigger on a super-clean 2010 A4 Quattro 6MT. Navi, Bang & Olufsen surround sound, heated leather seats, etc. Two owner car, 2nd owner purchased it CPO, Audi replaced the pistons, rings, etc 18k ago to address the excessive burning issue it was discovered to have (some of the '09/'10 EA888 engines had this issue and Audi fixed them under warranty), dealer-maintained, all service records available. Completely stock except for a Revo Stage I tune. A friend of mine and I flew to CT Friday and spent two days driving it back. Pics to come later.

This is where it gets interesting. On the way back, we ran into an S55 M4 vert that wanted to play on an empty stretch of freeway. At about a 70mph roll, we did....and we walked him. Slowed down, let him hop in front, and he punched it....and we walked him down. We could hear his engine working, and at the speed we were going, it wasn't a "he wasn't trying" kind of situation. Completely took me by surprise, to say the least, and my friend was shocked. My tune gives me about 255/285 hp/tq, as per Revo, but the S55 makes quite a bit more. The A4 weighs in about 3600lbs, and the M4 vert tips the scales at a little over 2 tons. My passenger weighed in @ about 230, we had our gear, so the weights were close.

Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased with the acquisition.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Bartledoo
Captain
Bartledoo's Avatar
United_States
315
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Did he forget to downshift?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Major General
1393
Rep
5,428
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Something was wrong with the M4 or its driver, but a win is a win. Normally, though, an A4 with a tune is nothing special ó your 255/285 crank numbers are probably about right. It would need serious mods to give straight line performance equal or better than an M4 convertible. Maybe it has more mods than you think?
Appreciate 2
Todd0131103.50
xander_g457.00

      07-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
davcrz5
Private First Class
davcrz5's Avatar
30
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I've always said it the most important mod, is driver mod the nut behind wheel. This particular Showdown you beat driver not car. That M4 vert has over 150whp & 120tq over A4. An M4 vert with half tank of gas will weigh in around 4088lbs so weight-wise you two were pretty even considering you had two passengers gear etc.

What I find interesting is how so many people start to put Power adders to their cars exhaust systems, Tunes etc, when most people can't extract 50 to 60% of cars true potential in it stock forum.

My advice to drivers is learn how to drive your car first before you start modding it. Take it to track get an instructor to show you how to extract every bit of performance out of your ride, practice then by all means start adding power Mods.

Goes to show you driver's skill and ability are just as important as horsepower and torque.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
577
Rep
3,383
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Did he forget to downshift?
Dunno if he was manual or auto, so I can't comment. If he was auto, I don't think he would have much shifting to do but what I did find intriguing was that we could *hear* his car in the upper range, so know that he wasn't just lolly-gagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Something was wrong with the M4 or its driver, but a win is a win. Normally, though, an A4 with a tune is nothing special — your 255/285 crank numbers are probably about right. It would need serious mods to give straight line performance equal or better than an M4 convertible. Maybe it has more mods than you think?
I looked the car over thoroughly before purchase. Stock exhaust, OEM catted downpipe, OEM front mount. As per the previous owner, his Audi service advisor said that the Revo tune is the only one that wouldn't void his CPO warranty, which is why he picked it up.

I have a friend with a full APR Stage II 2013 Golf R (FBO+APR Stg II tune + twin disc clutch), and the 2 engines are identical in most ways. I took him for a ride, and he said he was surprised b/c he felt like the A4 pulled harder than he thought it would, and harder than his car. Trying to line up with him over the next few days to get a real comparison.

As far as serious mods to keep up w/an M4, let's just say that I have a list

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcrz5 View Post
I've always said it the most important mod, is driver mod the nut behind wheel. This particular Showdown you beat driver not car. That M4 vert has over 150whp & 120tq over A4. An M4 vert with half tank of gas will weigh in around 4088lbs so weight-wise you two were pretty even considering you had two passengers gear etc.

What I find interesting is how so many people start to put Power adders to their cars exhaust systems, Tunes etc, when most people can't extract 50 to 60% of cars true potential in it stock forum.

My advice to drivers is learn how to drive your car first before you start modding it. Take it to track get an instructor to show you how to extract every bit of performance out of your ride, practice then by all means start adding power Mods.
Agreed, if his car was a manual, which I'm going to have to assume was the case. If it were an auto, the only thing he'd have to do is plant his foot and the car would take care of the rest, as the only thing he'd have to do is hold the steering wheel straight *lol*.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Major General
1393
Rep
5,428
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I donít think you need to go to a driving school to drive fast in a straight line. Just practice shifting and understand your power curve and gearing if manual or just put your foot down if auto.

If you are doing suspension mods rather than power mods, then I agree most people could benefit from some instruction in order to get the most out of the mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1086
Rep
4,419
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

I have a 2015 A4 Quattro. I got the GIAC Stage 1 v2.0. It has a updated tune for the newer B8.5 EA888 engine. Supposedly 280hp according to them. It is quite quick - especially off the line if you nail the launch. AWD and the ZF 8 speed auto works well off the line. I've surprised a few STI on highway rolls. They have this WTF look when they get pulled on by a stock looking A4.

Having driven a few M4s, I would say 0-60 is about even... but then it will pull away. The power and torque of the M4 is way more than a stage 1 A4. Weight of the M4 is comparable (convertible is heavier). AWD has no advantage beyond the standstill launch.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
neilum
First Lieutenant
303
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: 2011 Blueberry E90 DCT ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

I don't get posts like this. M4's trap at least 118 MPH and have 420 + WHP bone stock.

You raced someone who either wasn't trying, doesnt know what they are doing or weren't really racing.

Your A4 from a roll would get destroyed, as in the M4 would be out of your sight within 30 seconds.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M33402.50

      07-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
schoy
Captain
480
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I'm thinking M4 driver's heart wasn't in it. I've lost a few "races" before because I was concerned with cops, coming off a prior ticket, was thinking about effect on rod bearings, etc.. I may be in 5-6k of the rpm range so it may sounds impressive, but it's not going to be beat a decent performance car going WOT. Well, either that or you have a stealthy car, so if that's the case, awesome buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #10
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
577
Rep
3,383
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I don't get posts like this. M4's trap at least 118 MPH and have 420 + WHP bone stock.

You raced someone who either wasn't trying, doesnt know what they are doing or weren't really racing.

Your A4 from a roll would get destroyed, as in the M4 would be out of your sight within 30 seconds.
The post was just about an experience I had. What's not to get? I know the M4 vert has a *lot* more power than my car and that the AWD isn't a factor on after the launch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
I'm thinking M4 driver's heart wasn't in it. I've lost a few "races" before because I was concerned with cops, coming off a prior ticket, was thinking about effect on rod bearings, etc.. I may be in 5-6k of the rpm range so it may sounds impressive, but it's not going to be beat a decent performance car going WOT. Well, either that or you have a stealthy car, so if that's the case, awesome buy.
I gave the first run the benefit of the doubt, but when we went the 2nd time and he was ahead, he was def. trying. I was accelerating and slowly walking him down, and like I said, at the speeds we were reaching, I would have to say with a relative amount of certainty that he wasn't concerned about a ticket *lol*.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #11
pbonsalb
Major General
1393
Rep
5,428
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

My best guess is he had a 6 speed and did not downshift, while your auto did good driving for you. That is the only way I can make sense of the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #12
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
3403
Rep
3,627
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

I raced a ZO6 one night from light to light and barely beat him. When we stopped at the next light he said "wow, that M3 is quick, you want to try it again for a hundred bucks?" Obviously I said no. Light turns green and he toasted me by four car lengths easy. The M4 guy is probably reading this thread and cracking up laughing right now just like ZO6 guy was when he tried to set me up. Enjoy your victory.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
577
Rep
3,383
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I raced a ZO6 one night from light to light and barely beat him. When we stopped at the next light he said "wow, that M3 is quick, you want to try it again for a hundred bucks?" Obviously I said no. Light turns green and he toasted me by four car lengths easy. The M4 guy is probably reading this thread and cracking up laughing right now just like ZO6 guy was when he tried to set me up. Enjoy your victory.
I don't really see it as a victory, as I know what the M4 is packing. Just some fun running on the freeway, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
My best guess is he had a 6 speed and did not downshift, while your auto did good driving for you. That is the only way I can make sense of the outcome.
The A4 is a 6MT, not an auto *lol*. And that might be it. I posted some time ago about all the Focus STs that I came across in the M and that I wouldn't even downshift when running them. That is *entirely* possible that the same thing occurred in this instance. Don't understand why he'd do it the 2nd time when he was walked the first time. But yeah, that's completely logical.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST