BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #133
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
1,714
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentis
Went from an e60 M5 (pig) to a 09 335i Cobb stage 2, to 2013 f-series 535 m sport (like a 7 series) to my new to me 2011 e90 m3 ZCP. Reminds me of my old 1993 Mr2 steering with my m5's power.

FWIW, it feels as fast as my M5 and the handling makes it fun at legal speeds.
Great post
That is some perspective!
__________________
00 Z3 - Conforti, Magnaflow
02 330i ZSP - Dinan Stage3, Corsa
13 M3 ZCP - Corsa
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #134
Petlizard
Lieutenant
Petlizard's Avatar
128
Rep
423
Posts

Drives: F-type v8, f-150, AMG c63
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14 View Post
More pics of the two cars together!
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...3#post19319583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
How do you like that F-Type? I almost went that route after checking out the new M3 but couldn't stay away from the e92...I've got a Space Gray ZCP too.
The m3 is a fun car to drive fast (the way the engine keeps building speed as the revs climb, the quickness of the DCT shifts, and the way the chassis flows through the curves). The f-type is more fun to cruise around in (hearing the exhaust cracking, getting the attention from everybody, coming hard off the line from a stop every chance you get, etc).

It's like deciding between steak or sushi. Depending on the occasion but neither are bad choices.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #135
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
1,714
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

My approach to the go forward plan.
Keeping e92m3
Selling e46 Dinan

Ordering 340iX 6speed
M pkg
Track pkg
__________________
00 Z3 - Conforti, Magnaflow
02 330i ZSP - Dinan Stage3, Corsa
13 M3 ZCP - Corsa
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #136
Hierlevelz
Captain
64
Rep
907
Posts

Drives: 11 AW E9X M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ENYC

iTrader: (9)

So did the OP sell the M4?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:47 PM   #137
LinhDuyHaM3
Private First Class
LinhDuyHaM3's Avatar
19
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Swap my M3, it's only 10k miles
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #138
PGas32
Second Lieutenant
25
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 911
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

I went from an E90 ZCP to a 997.1 C2S, and while the Porsche is a better car in every measurable way except for practicality (flamesuit on) I can't help but to look at E90's again now that I have a little one on the way and due within a couple months. My M3 was a second car for me, as is my 911...but I can't get the thought of selling my 91, ditching my DD Passat and picking up another E90 as my only car out of my mind. No other car on the new or secondary market can match the performance and practicality combination that the E90 M3 offers, in my opinion. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy another and drive it everyday, not caring about the crappy MPG or snow or potholes etc
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2016, 05:08 AM   #139
AlpGolcuklu
Private First Class
AlpGolcuklu's Avatar
Turkey
21
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

You re deffinetely right. I wont buy M4 cause it is just not feels characteristics enough for me. I hate turbocharged cars.

So keep with the V8 !! Here is my E92's photo
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #140
MCFilmWerks
Private First Class
19
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: IB E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

That's interesting, I need to go drive one, but I've wanted an e92 forever so I don't plan on switching anytime soon
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #141
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
142
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post
I went from an E90 ZCP to a 997.1 C2S, and while the Porsche is a better car in every measurable way except for practicality (flamesuit on) I can't help but to look at E90's again now that I have a little one on the way and due within a couple months. My M3 was a second car for me, as is my 911...but I can't get the thought of selling my 91, ditching my DD Passat and picking up another E90 as my only car out of my mind. No other car on the new or secondary market can match the performance and practicality combination that the E90 M3 offers, in my opinion. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy another and drive it everyday, not caring about the crappy MPG or snow or potholes etc
That's good to know. I would be all over a 997.1 C2S (drove one a couple of years ago and loved it) but with kids planned in 2017 I'm in the market for an E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #142
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
562
Rep
4,490
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post
I went from an E90 ZCP to a 997.1 C2S, and while the Porsche is a better car in every measurable way except for practicality (flamesuit on) I can't help but to look at E90's again now that I have a little one on the way and due within a couple months. My M3 was a second car for me, as is my 911...but I can't get the thought of selling my 91, ditching my DD Passat and picking up another E90 as my only car out of my mind. No other car on the new or secondary market can match the performance and practicality combination that the E90 M3 offers, in my opinion. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy another and drive it everyday, not caring about the crappy MPG or snow or potholes etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW-
That's good to know. I would be all over a 997.1 C2S (drove one a couple of years ago and loved it) but with kids planned in 2017 I'm in the market for an E90 M3.
Two co-workers and I met up a couple of times for long drives on twisty back roads where we swapped cars with each other. I brought my E92, another guy had a BRZ, and the third guy had a 997.1 C2S. Interesting experience for everyone given how different the cars are, but in the 100 or so total miles I got to drive the 911 I wasn't impressed, especially considering it cost over 50% more than my M3 new. Rear engine was a cool sensation and the car was definitely light, but the steering was a bit light to my taste (though the owner felt my M3's steering in Sport was too heavy), the interior was disappointing, the engine didn't feel nearly as special as the S65, the PASM setup was either too soft or too hard for those roads.

I actually really enjoyed the BRZ though. Engine is way down on power, but it feels so great through the corners that you just don't care. Amazing what shedding 1000 lbs compared to the M3 does for mid-corner sensations. That experience made me vow never to get a fun car heavier than my E92.
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #143
Rajmun340
Major
Rajmun340's Avatar
312
Rep
1,039
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpGolcuklu View Post
You re deffinetely right. I wont buy M4 cause it is just not feels characteristics enough for me. I hate turbocharged cars.

So keep with the V8 !! Here is my E92's photo
I like your fire orange paint but it looks matte on that pic or is it a re-paint ??
whatever, that's a great color for an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #144
Rajmun340
Major
Rajmun340's Avatar
312
Rep
1,039
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Two co-workers and I met up a couple of times for long drives on twisty back roads where we swapped cars with each other. I brought my E92, another guy had a BRZ, and the third guy had a 997.1 C2S. Interesting experience for everyone given how different the cars are, but in the 100 or so total miles I got to drive the 911 I wasn't impressed, especially considering it cost over 50% more than my M3 new. Rear engine was a cool sensation and the car was definitely light, but the steering was a bit light to my taste (though the owner felt my M3's steering in Sport was too heavy), the interior was disappointing, the engine didn't feel nearly as special as the S65, the PASM setup was either too soft or too hard for those roads.

I actually really enjoyed the BRZ though. Engine is way down on power, but it feels so great through the corners that you just don't care. Amazing what shedding 1000 lbs compared to the M3 does for mid-corner sensations. That experience made me vow never to get a fun car heavier than my E92.
Nice driving comparo read. I drove a 997 4S in 2013 just prior to factory ordering my E92, which tells you i didn't feel enthralled by the porsche either. My understanding is that 'real' porsche performance starts at the GT3 NA, or P turbo, the S, 4S are disappointing for the money. As for the subaru, it's a turbo car. and that feeling of sliding through corners coming from a turbo delivery is what can kill you at the limit on a track. Car is light and probably can crush like a soda can, m3 is a tank, and that's safety.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:38 AM   #145
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
562
Rep
4,490
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII
Nice driving comparo read. I drove a 997 4S in 2013 just prior to factory ordering my E92, which tells you i didn't feel enthralled by the porsche either. My understanding is that 'real' porsche performance starts at the GT3 NA, or P turbo, the S, 4S are disappointing for the money. As for the subaru, it's a turbo car. and that feeling of sliding through corners coming from a turbo delivery is what can kill you at the limit on a track. Car is light and probably can crush like a soda can, m3 is a tank, and that's safety.
The BRZ is not a turbo car, and turbo doesn't make you any more prone to sliding through corners. Sliding through corners is influenced by corner entry behavior, which is mostly a function of suspension, weight, and the location of that weight. It can of course cause your rear end to step out on corner exit, but that's power oversteer, not sliding through a corner.

As for weight vs crash worthiness....
[IMG]http://j-walkblog.com/old/images/crashtests.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #146
AlpGolcuklu
Private First Class
AlpGolcuklu's Avatar
Turkey
21
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
I like your fire orange paint but it looks matte on that pic or is it a re-paint ??
whatever, that's a great color for an M3.
Thanks, thats wrap
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #147
Rajmun340
Major
Rajmun340's Avatar
312
Rep
1,039
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpGolcuklu View Post
Thanks, thats wrap
ohh it's a wrap, i knew something was odd it does not look like a clear coated paint even from that small pic.
I am a not a fan of wraps, but i do like fire orange as an M3 color.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #148
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
3,843
Posts

Drives: 2016 Range Rover sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpGolcuklu View Post
You re deffinetely right. I wont buy M4 cause it is just not feels characteristics enough for me. I hate turbocharged cars.

So keep with the V8 !! Here is my E92's photo
i cannot stand turbochargers. Even on a v8 engine they take away character and sound.

problem is that most people dont really care. As long as they can brag about their power numbers at the local bars.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #149
Rajmun340
Major
Rajmun340's Avatar
312
Rep
1,039
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
The BRZ is not a turbo car, and turbo doesn't make you any more prone to sliding through corners. Sliding through corners is influenced by corner entry behavior, which is mostly a function of suspension, weight, and the location of that weight. It can of course cause your rear end to step out on corner exit, but that's power oversteer, not sliding through a corner.

As for weight vs crash worthiness....
[IMG]http://j-walkblog.com/old/images/crashtests.jpg[/IMG]
oops i confused WRX and BRZ, I stand corrected NA engine and light weight on a good chassis is a winning proposition. But i do not care enough about subaru to know their models.
Also i meant coming out of a curve but i wrote "slide through corners" my bad, i deserved your correction. But it remains that coming out of a curve when driving at the limit (as in trying to beat a lap time) a turbo engine makes for a more unstable car due to boosted torque delivery always being a function of the boost which is not a constant over time at given throtlle (like a NA engine). But now i'm off topic. BRZ is NA so..

About crash safety.. not so fast with your conclusion. Hitting a wall in crash test is equivalent (in terms of energy) to hitting the same car going at the same speed coming from the opposite direction. That is because the wall is static and responds to any force applied to it with the exact same force from the opposite direction (action and reaction). BUT, in a real crash driving one of the lightest car on the road like a BRZ and having a collision with a SUV or a heavy touring sedan, the BRZ will be crushed by much more energy than what it was tested for in that test. In comparison a heavier car crash test like an E92 will give a better representation of the safety of the car.

To adapt the crash test for a car that is lighter than most cars on the road, the wall cannot be static, it has to move toward the car and have the right weight to represent a statistically average weight road vehicle.

Also a lighter car if it does not crush into a cube will bounced back and be thrown away like a projectile, snapping the driver's neck whereas the average or heavier vehicle will have much less whiplash.

And that is why i'll take the heavier E92 M3 build like a tank over a BRZ in terms of crash safety.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 02-07-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #150
Obioban
Emperor
478
Rep
1,782
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Heavier cars are safer when you hit another car, but more dangerous when you hit a stationary, immovable object, all else equal.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #151
Rajmun340
Major
Rajmun340's Avatar
312
Rep
1,039
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Heavier cars are safer when you hit another car, but more dangerous when you hit a stationary, immovable object, all else equal.
Well not so, when hitting a wall all else is never equal, think about my physics statement : A wall crash test is mirroring energy back, it is energy wise exactly equivalent to a head collision with the same weight vehicle coming at the same speed from the opposite direction..So if there is a heavy vehicle driving into a wall, the wall will force back more energy into that vehicle but - and this is where things are *not* all equal - a heavier vehicle usually has a proportionally stronger unibody and the crushable part is also able to absorb more energy to sustain life in the cabin. So is it a wash ? yes it is, unless you have a huge weight load in your light vehicle that is from carrying 5 people in a sedan that weight is not structural to the car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST