BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

DIY : Billswebspace.com UUC EVO3 Install Additional Notes

Thought I would post a couple of additional notes regarding billswebspace.com UUC EVO3 install. Anyone looking to DIY the UUC EVO3 will probably stumble upon his DIY via Google / etc.

The DIY Bill has on his website is quite detailed, so there really isn't too much to say, but I'll all add a couple of simple notes as I just did this yesterday.

CREDIT : Thanks to bill for the detailed DIY found at http://www.billswebspace.com/M3UUCEvo3DIY.htm , its thanks to this that I built up the courage to DIY this myself.

Notes:

1) To pull out the existing shifter from the DSSR you will want the car in neutral. It seams as though neutral gives the most "movement" below so you can disconnect it from the shifter.

2) When undoing the existing clip from the DSSR, be cautious when popping the clip off. I had it shoot off and vanish. Luckily once I actually pulled the old shifter out, it dropped on the floor.

3) You will not be able to accomplish this without a slightly shortened hex wrench. Don't even bother. There is just not enough room to get the small screws in. So make sure you have a super short hex wrench for the tiny screws (1cm after the 90 deg at most), or at least a grinder / dremel handy to shorten an existing one. Getting the small screws in place took me about an hour. Be patient and keep trying. It is possible.

4) I found that having some sticky material to hold the hex screws to hex wrench was helpful. Anything really... In my case I have some dynamat-like material in my trunk that is super sticky that I would scrape off onto the hex wrench for every screw.

5) Once you get one side of the tiny hex screws in, it causes the other side to lift slightly and make getting the screws on the other side even more difficult. What I found is if you use ANOTHER hex wrench (even smaller) to lever the other side down, it aligns the holes correctly. Once you have one in, you can remove the lever.

6) Don't forget... As the UUC manual and Bills DIY state... You will NEED a pair of snap ring pliers. I of course rushed in and went ahead without a pair. Luckily I was able to take a tiny pair of normal pliers I had to a dremel and create something that was able to get the snap ring in place.

Besides that Bill's DIY is totally accurate, very detailed and 100% correct.

Thanks Bill!

Last edited by anom3; 11-29-2015 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0