BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #375
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

For those above, are the audio qualities related to phone calls or just complaints about the overall audio quality including music?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #376
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
For those above, are the audio qualities related to phone calls or just complaints about the overall audio quality including music?
In addition to what derbo asked, are most people still using the oem mic for phone calls and the kremersino mic for Siri because of these audio quality issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #377
Beven32
Rep
Drives: bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgunther View Post
For the time being I am running all my audio over over Bluetooth while using the car play interface. The only downside to this is all the navigation apps force audio over aux but music is fine.
I am using android auto and have tried everything to send audio over bluetooth. I have not tried with carplay yet. How do you force audio over bluetooth in carplay ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #378
Beven32
Rep

Quote:
Overall. The sound coming from the limcet box is horrible! Not just calls. To see how bad it is just plug in some headphones from the aux out from the Limcet box.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #379
Beven32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
In addition to what derbo asked, are most people still using the oem mic for phone calls and the kremersino mic for Siri because of these audio quality issues?
I am not even focused on my mic yet, I am still trying to get good audio out..

Perhaps the poor mic quality will be resolved when they fix the sound quality in the upcoming update.. Maybe
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #380
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beven32 View Post
I am using android auto and have tried everything to send audio over bluetooth. I have not tried with carplay yet. How do you force audio over bluetooth in carplay ?
What I do is basically use the iDrive to play my music as I was doing before having the CarPlay interface. In the Music App, Spotify or whatever you are using you have to select your car's bluetooth and not Carplay. Then you can hold the menu button on the knob to switch to the CarPlay screen. Also you can link the 8 button to the bluetooth connection instead of front AUX, just select it and long press 8 for about 5 seconds until you hear a "ding-dong".
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #381
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Ok, received my unit Wednesday 7/24, ordered it Thursday evening 7/18, so delivery took 6 days. Not bad. Still waiting on my reverse camera though. Has anyone hooked their reverse camera up to the unit instead of using an emulator? Wondering if there is any difference or drawback when connecting to the emulator vs directly to the kemersino unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:29 AM   #382
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Don't know that you can do it with AA, Apple lets you select the output device, hence being able to switch between the CarPlay box and the factory BMW Bluetooth connection.

Tried streaming the audio through my BMW Bluetooth audio streaming, and it's definitely better (more bass especially), though the audio quality I was getting directly through the CarPlay/AUX setup wasn't terrible. I have button 7 setup for BMW Bluetooth Audio, and button 8 set for AUX, so easy to swtich between them.

As others have noted, I can take calls through the original BMW Bluetooth while CarPlay is connected too.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #383
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Don't know that you can do it with AA, Apple lets you select the output device, hence being able to switch between the CarPlay box and the factory BMW Bluetooth connection.

Tried streaming the audio through my BMW Bluetooth audio streaming, and it's definitely better (more bass especially), though the audio quality I was getting directly through the CarPlay/AUX setup wasn't terrible. I have button 7 setup for BMW Bluetooth Audio, and button 8 set for AUX, so easy to swtich between them.

As others have noted, I can take calls through the original BMW Bluetooth while CarPlay is connected too.
If using audio via bluetooth (versus aux), do you lose the ability for the carplay unit to read out your text messages and respond via voice? I'd imagine you would lose this feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #384
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
If using audio via bluetooth (versus aux), do you lose the ability for the carplay unit to read out your text messages and respond via voice? I'd imagine you would lose this feature.
Excellent question which I don't currently have the answer.

It's possible the BMW HU switches over from Bluetooth audio to Bluetooth telephone for this (as it does prior to the CarPlay install), but I have not tested this since I installed the CarPlay box. It may now switch to "CarPlay audio" (which is going through AUX), which you'd have to switch to manually (with the radio preset buttons), but I don't know.

I'm away on a work trip for the next 10 days so won't be able to try it till then. Someone here might be able to?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #385
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I found I had to turn the AUX volume all the way down, and that made my audio nice and clear. Was expecting to need to turn the volume up, but it made the quality worse and worse.

So far I haven't been able to get my phone to auto connect properly when I get in each time, but I reckon it's something to do with iOS 13 beta. If I toggle this in the Bluetooth settings, CarPlay appears moments later every time.

Definitely some incompatibility with the box though, since wireless CarPlay connects fine with the X7 I'm driving atm.

I just installed mine today. I'm having similar connection issues with iOS13 PB3. I couldn't get it to work without rebooting my phone. I'm not sure whats going on though. Audio quality is pretty decent, but lacking bass. Even my Tune2Air BT was better in that department.

Edit : does everyone have their module under the glovebox? The lvds cable is too short from what I can tell to mount it begins the glove

Last edited by derbo; 07-28-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 02:31 AM   #386
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I mounted mine under the panel below the glovebox, was a tight fit but you honestly can't tell.

Interesting that you're having the same experience I did with the connection, as I've said mine is rocksolid once connected, but I have to go through a easily repeatable song and dance of sorts to connect it when I get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 02:57 AM   #387
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I mounted mine under the panel below the glovebox, was a tight fit but you honestly can't tell.

Interesting that you're having the same experience I did with the connection, as I've said mine is rocksolid once connected, but I have to go through a easily repeatable song and dance of sorts to connect it when I get in the car.
I'm having trouble reproducing the connection problem. It happens to work sometimes and sometimes not. During the install, it worked when I did a test run before routing anything. After installing and routing everything I was unable to connect for awhile. I finally rebooted my phone and it started to work. I went to dinner and it was working on the drive there. On the way home, it wouldn't connect to the phone in the parking lot but it finally connected after rebooting the phone mid drive.

I finally checked it at home after some time to let it turn off on the car, and it connected right off the bat.

I just want to reproduce it consistently so we can squash it!

I do want to note, I turned off WiFi through control center during install and that might have been the issue at the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #388
warp
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 320i F31 LCI sport

Hi all,
It took a long time to read those 18 pages.
But that’s interesting.
I was wondering if any of you had the opportunity to compare 2 of these boxes ? ...in terms of reaction time, speed,...
It seems to me all the 3 (kremersino, unique adresse and joyeauto offer the same, for more or less the same price.
I will use CarPlay only for Waze. So I will keep on using iDrive for the radio.
But who knows, maybe CarPlay is so great that I will use it also for other programs, and also for calling. Then the sound and mic quality will become important.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #389
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

I see that for AppleCarPlay systems it has very good functions and is very integrated. But for Android systems, it is better to put this device of JoyeAuto or better an entire Android screen of for example Avinusa.
With Joyeauto Android just make mirror screen?

Thank you all!

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #390
warp
Luxembourg
Rep

I’ve read too many negative opinions on Android « screens » that I prefer to keep it simple, and just add CarPlay, without anything else.
It’s obviously a sexy solution, which opens much more possibilities, and a so big screen...but I have some doubts on the quality and stability of the system.
Appreciate 1
Rochen_00349.50
      07-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #391
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
I brought one, Loved it! But I will have to return it due to extremely poor audio quality!!

I do hope it is as simple as a firmware update. I have also been in contact with the seller and they said the same thing. Our engineers are working on it. And we will send you a firmware file to fix it soon.

I have told them if they do not fix it soon I will be sending it back. And I honestly don't want too !!!

I love Android auto. It works great, And wireless apple carplay works perfect too.

Please keep us updated if anyone has progress with this
you got Android auto to work? what phone? I've been on the fence since a few people couldn't get it to come up
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #392
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Has anybody ordered the Unichip unit yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #393
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Ok I am starting to get confused... is there a unit out there that will allow me to play the radio while at the same time getting the directions from Waze. Both coming over the built in speakers?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #394
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

MJBO , PACarGuy

Does your back and forward buttons under the presets work to skip Spotify? I was unable to make it skip. The steering wheel ones work fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:14 AM   #395
warp
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
MJBO , PACarGuy

Does your back and forward buttons under the presets work to skip Spotify? I was unable to make it skip. The steering wheel ones work fine.
Curious to hear the answer to this. (I think the answer is no).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #396
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
MJBO , PACarGuy

warp

Nope, only the steering wheel controls work. I assume this is because the bottom buttons are part of the headunit, hence can't be intercepted.
Appreciate 0