BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

09-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Cobalt Friction track pads: My Review

So last week I went back to my track setup as I plan to continue leaving my car ready for any track days. I installed a set of Cobalt Friction pads (XR1 front and XR3 rear), which were suggested to me by my local speed shop. Previously I was using a cheap, but effective set of Hawk pads. I cooked these down to nothing during a track day in July after using them for several events.
http://www.cobaltfriction.com/compounds/

I really like the aggressive bite of the Cobalts, which allows me to go deeper into braking zones and really stand on the brakes. Truly more confidence inspiring than the Hawks I was using. I ran a couple sessions at Harris Hill Road last weekend and was really impressed by these pads, though it did seem to take the entire first session to break them in. These pads are combined with Motul high temp fluid and stainless steel lines.

While I plan to leave these pads on, they are not quiet. These are basically full on race pads that squeak and moan constantly. I DD this car for two weeks a month (except for days of heavy rain) so it is manageable. Just be ready for other drivers to constantly suggest "get your brakes looked at". Also these pads are not cheap, at almost $500 a set, but I feel that this is the best you can get without going the BBK route.

B/c everyone likes pics, two of my track setup:

2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 09-22-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

We're also huge fans of Cobalts pads. Ive been using them pretty much exclusively on our race cars for the past 4 years or so now. With a number of Time Attack wins and championships under our belt, the results speak for themself. We've been a distributor for Cobalt now for a few years. Their main function as a buisiness is to support/sales of racing brakes for pro race teams so they are always looking to improve their product over time. Most of or customers came from using Carbotech, then tried cobalt and never went back.

Please be sure to not use the race pads (XR series) on the street though. The pads and rotors will both wear faster when the compounds are not at opperating temp. Cobalt does make a "CSR" compound now that they say can be used on the street for aggressive driving and autoX/track day
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

^I'm planning to go with a bbk as my next big mod, so I'm not too worried about wearing out these current rotors. The fronts have 36k miles on them btw.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0