BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #23
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
I had never seen this solution before.

Are there part numbers for this? Thanks in advance..
Looks like something I did to my M3 back in 2013:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=830878&page=2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #24
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I have one too, no issues and works great. My experience however as it relates to the optimal fluid level is a bit different. When I ran it just above the grate I would have a noisy PS pump when coming off the track, filled it up to about 3/4 full and no issues at all and noise is gone. It does hold a lot of fluid so I'd suggest buying two cans of PS fluid. You won't use all of both but you'll get a ways into the second can.
Any more experience on the correct fluid level? When we installed it, we filled up to just above the grate inside. Steering was very heavy at idle like no power steering. Felt like a dead pump. (Recently replaced already) now I’ve filled up higher and it still makes a whine and steering is still a bit heavier than normal. Going to keep adding a bit to see if it needs a lot of fluid.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      11-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Anyone have the part number for the 1M PS reservoir?
Thanks!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #26
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

I confirmed with Bimmerworld's online support team that the correct fluid level is just a little bit above the grates of the reservoir. Lowered my fluid level back down to that and I'll try reverting my power pulleys (underdrives PS) back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #27
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftflo View Post
i just copied the gt4 solution
http://www.m3racing.de/e92umbau.html#5
That's exactly what I did. I was going to get the BW/Moroso one but the reservoir was $6 on Amazon and I already had the tees and hoses. It works great. I still rock the basketball armband with zip tie so I never forget where I came from. #stayhumble
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's the BW link since no one posted it yet: https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...servoir_2.html

1M PS reservoir at Amazon for $38. It's $2 cheaper at FCP but no free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-O.../dp/B06Y3Z6CWC
and $31 at Tischer BMW- forum sponsor: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...nk-32416767161

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 11-25-2019 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

After power steering pump failure on the track, I'm using an AGA Tools PS reservoir with small reservoir(like GT4?) that is connected to the vent hole by a hose during several years. Perhaps this product has never been mentioned in this forum, because our vehicles are not on the application list. But, BMW uses the same shit in almost every models, this product is perfectly compatible with our car.
Anyway, this has a real filter, not like OEM mash filter that doesn't work well. So it will help the durability of the pump, IMO.
Small reservoir is a bike brake fluid tank, and I fill this with a little cottons.
There has been no problem at all for my track only E92 M3 during 4~5 years. I'm very satisfied with the clean engine room and the perfect performance.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 3
kyippee1072.00
aus889.50
      12-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
After power steering pump failure on the track, I'm using an AGA Tools PS reservoir with small reservoir(like GT4?) that is connected to the vent hole by a hose during several years. Perhaps this product has never been mentioned in this forum, because our vehicles are not on the application list. But, BMW uses the same shit in almost every models, this product is perfectly compatible with our car.
Anyway, this has a real filter, not like OEM mash filter that doesn't work well. So it will help the durability of the pump, IMO.
Small reservoir is a bike brake fluid tank, and I fill this with a little cottons.
There has been no problem at all for my track only E92 M3 during 4~5 years. I'm very satisfied with the clean engine room and the perfect performance.
Do you have a link for the product?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #31
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Do you have a link for the product?
Nice option, thanks for sharing! I especially like that it has a filter.

LINK
      12-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #32
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

So if we were to swap out for the 1M part, would the current hoses reach were we to swap them (since the bottom becomes the top and vice-versa)? I saw another thread where someone fashioned adapters, but it doesn't have enough information to make a call.
Appreciate 1
oolas3387.00
      04-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #33
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

I placed an order for BW ones and D088 PS cooler from ACM. The real issue is fluid overheating on the track and there's not enough fluid volume to circulate. So BW and D088 combo seems to be the best. 1M mod solves the starvation issue, as the pump feed line is on the bottom, but doesn't solve the volume and cooling issue. So you still get a messy hood.

AGA makes the best looking PS reservoir, has a filter, cooling fins, but they stopped making them. I suggested the head guy over there to start production on it again. AGA didn't list the E9x chassis, which is why demand for them were low.

https://agatools.com/collections/pow...ring-reservoir

This is what mine looks like after every session. Fluid was dripping to the wheel well, causing slippage on the right front wheel during. braking. Socks would help, but that's a bandaid to the real cooling and fluid volume issue.

D088 vs stock cooler image.
Attached Images

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 04-26-2022 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #34
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
I placed an order for BW ones and D088 PS cooler from ACM. The real issue is fluid overheating on the track and there's not enough fluid volume to circulate. So BW and D088 combo seems to be the best. 1M mod solves the starvation issue, as the pump feed line is on the bottom, but doesn't solve the volume and cooling issue. So you still get a messy hood.

AGA makes the best looking PS reservoir, has a filter, cooling fins, but they stopped making them. I suggested the head guy over there to start production on it again. AGA didn't list the E9x chassis, which is why demand for them were low.

https://agatools.com/collections/pow...ring-reservoir

This is what mine looks like after every session. Fluid was dripping to the wheel well, causing slippage on the right front wheel during. braking. Socks would help, but that's a bandaid to the real cooling and fluid volume issue.

D088 vs stock cooler image.
Get an inline filter as you're forgoing that with the BW reservoir vs OEM.
      04-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #35
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Any links for inline filter? The OEM filter is just a screen, catching larger particles it seems. Not sure if adding a filter will make the pump work much harder.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 04-26-2022 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:06 PM   #36
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Any links for inline filter? The OEM filter is just a screen, catching larger particles it seems. Not sure if adding a filter will make the pump work much harder.
I don't and it's a good question. I doubt a filter would strain the pump but up to you. Anything in the steering lines seems to be disastrous and a huge PITAS to resolve (search forums). I'd stick with oem and just make sure the reservoir is well under the max fill line and use an expansion line or sweat wrist band in lieu of the BW option.
      05-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #37
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I added this filter to the return line shortly after installing my BW reservoir.

I wanted to fabricate a proper mount for it, but it's a pretty large filter and I couldn't find a clever location to bolt a mount to.

The case of the filter is really stout though, so I just nestled it in a tight place underneath the reservoir.
Been on the car for well over 15,000 miles (and 8 track days).

No mechanical issues, but after installing the BW (Moroso) reservoir, the pump was slightly louder when cranking the wheel while parking.
Not louder than my Ford Expedition, just louder than it was before.

Adding the filter didn't make the sound any louder though.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92

Last edited by Davisca455; 05-07-2022 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #38
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Curious if anyone has had success putting a magnet in the reservoir and occasionally cleaning it off?
      05-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #39
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Curious if anyone has had success putting a magnet in the reservoir and occasionally cleaning it off?
Ya, the Magnefine return filter appealed to me because it has a magnet built in.

But I don't think it is serviceable and I don't know what an appropriate change interval would be?

My plan was to replace the filter every time I flushed the system.

Fluid is still green, but not AS green as it was when flushed at the time of the BW reservoir install.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:57 AM   #40
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
The real issue is fluid overheating on the track and there's not enough fluid volume to circulate.
That is incorrect. The issue is excessive fluid
Velocity on the return back to the reservoir.

The OE system has no filter. The white disc at the bottom of the reservoir is a baffle. Fluid comes out of the cap due to sustained high RPMs creating higher system pressures which forces more fluid out of the breather hole in the cap.

The only reason the PS fluid overheats is the excessive turbulence causes the fluid to foam up. Then the pump sucks in air which causes cavitation (positive displacement vane pump) which heats up the fluid and damages the pump.

The ideal way to eliminate spillage is to lower system pressures by lowering the pressure of the pressure relief on the pump and improve the baffling on the reservoir. This significantly extends the life of the pump by reducing the chances of cavitation at the pump.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #41
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
That is incorrect. The issue is excessive fluid
Velocity on the return back to the reservoir.

The OE system has no filter. The white disc at the bottom of the reservoir is a baffle. Fluid comes out of the cap due to sustained high RPMs creating higher system pressures which forces more fluid out of the breather hole in the cap.

The only reason the PS fluid overheats is the excessive turbulence causes the fluid to foam up. Then the pump sucks in air which causes cavitation (positive displacement vane pump) which heats up the fluid and damages the pump.

The ideal way to eliminate spillage is to lower system pressures by lowering the pressure of the pressure relief on the pump and improve the baffling on the reservoir. This significantly extends the life of the pump by reducing the chances of cavitation at the pump.
I cut the old OEM open. There's a screen filter one piece with the white plastic baffle, not serviceable. That screen filter on mine did have particles stuck to it which could cause pump damage if circulated.

Photo I found, I didn't take photo of mine:

Also, I did D088 PS cooler and the motorcycle overflow reservoir mod. No leak on the track, not one drop. It was squirting everywhere before.

3D design makes the caps that allows fluid to have another place to escape so the pressurized fluid won't make it to the top of the cap. $475 for a cap. Those who used it reported no leak as well.

My track buddies with aftermarket PS reservoir (won't disclose brands) with stock cooler, still run socks as they do leak and overheat. They also reported excessive whines (probably from losing fluid after a few sessions and level dropped below ideal level). Those who did aftermarket PS reservoir (or mod that I did) + PS cooler upgraded reported no leaks. Fluids are much cooler after a session.

The reservoir mod is $15. D088 cooler, $550.

Notice the OEM cooler below, the cooler fins only touch the sides of the fluid pipes and 1/2 the size as CSF, D088, or GT4 units. Upgraded units fins surround the fluid pipes 360 degrees and double the cooling pipes length. At 8k RPM +, that fluid is super heated and OEM unit simply cannot do its job, to cool the fluid down to prevent boil over.

D088 unit photo I took before install:

This is solely based on my personal experience and talking to E9x track guys about the topic. I'm not sponsored by any cooling companies, trying to share ideas worth sharing. I will upgrade my reservoir in the future as well, step one was addressing the core issue (heat).

Tip: While you replace the cooler, it's a good time to spray the radiator, oil cooler, and AC condenser down with degreaser, let it sit for 10min, go over with a tooth brush to remove bugs, then rinse. Clogged cooling fins/pores will stop air from getting to other coolers.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 05-22-2022 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
DRLane3968.00
Davisca4552207.50
      05-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #42
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Most assume the spillage is due to heat but that doesn't make sense. The fluid would need to have significant thermal expansion. That's like your oil level increasing as it warms up.

Spillage is caused by excessive pressure. Not an issue on the street. The PS pump is running at or near max pressure on the track since most of the running is at high RPMs. The PS pump is a positive displacement vane pump - it pumps no matter what unlike a centrifugal pump (i.e. water pump). The system is sending high pressure fluid through the system which is partially lowered by expansion loops and coolers. Bernoulli's principle - pressure begins to drop it gets closer to the PS reservoir. As pressure drops, velocity of the fluid increases. When it gets into the reservoir the return is partially diffused by the white disc - baffling. The fluid is turbulent and goes through the breather hole in the cap and leaks out.

The screen is NOT a filter. It is a baffle for the suction side. It retains fluid and provides constant flow to the pump. It is incredibly damaging to cavitate a PD pump.

Coolers cause pressure drop. Adding a cooler that is twice as big reduces more pressure drop. So a cooler will help lower the pressure of the fluid entering reservoir.

If you've ever seen PS fluid foam in the reservoir - that's excessive turbulence aerating the fluid. Not overheating. Foaming is followed by a common failure mode where a whining noise indicates damaged bearings due to oil starvation.

E46 - same principle- I shimmed the PS pump pressure relief which reduces pump pressure by 50%. Deleted the expansion loop and OE cooler, not a drop coming out of the cap. Doesn't need a cooler but I installed a small single pass for a safety margin.

Lower system pressure throughout the rev range, less pump cavitation and you can run less fluid without starving the pump.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 05-22-2022 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
rg122074.00
      05-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #43
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

I did the motorcycle overflow reservoir mod, it works great!

I love this mod!
      05-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #44
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Most assume the spillage is due to heat but that doesn't make sense. The fluid would need to have significant thermal expansion. That's like your oil level increasing as it warms up.

Spillage is caused by excessive pressure. Not an issue on the street. The PS pump is running at or near max pressure on the track since most of the running is at high RPMs. The PS pump is a positive displacement vane pump - it pumps no matter what unlike a centrifugal pump (i.e. water pump). The system is sending high pressure fluid through the system which is partially lowered by expansion loops and coolers. Bernoulli's principle - pressure begins to drop it gets closer to the PS reservoir. As pressure drops, velocity of the fluid increases. When it gets into the reservoir the return is partially diffused by the white disc - baffling. The fluid is turbulent and goes through the breather hole in the cap and leaks out.

The screen is NOT a filter. It is a baffle for the suction side. It retains fluid and provides constant flow to the pump. It is incredibly damaging to cavitate a PD pump.

Coolers cause pressure drop. Adding a cooler that is twice as big reduces more pressure drop. So a cooler will help lower the pressure of the fluid entering reservoir.

If you've ever seen PS fluid foam in the reservoir - that's excessive turbulence aerating the fluid. Not overheating. Foaming is followed by a common failure mode where a whining noise indicates damaged bearings due to oil starvation.

E46 - same principle- I shimmed the PS pump pressure relief which reduces pump pressure by 50%. Deleted the expansion loop and OE cooler, not a drop coming out of the cap. Doesn't need a cooler but I installed a small single pass for a safety margin.

Lower system pressure throughout the rev range, less pump cavitation and you can run less fluid without starving the pump.
Thanks for the overview, I was thinking about the amount of PS overflow we're seeing and it really didn't make sense that just overheated fluid would cause overflow (same idea as engine oil you mentioned).

Do you have any links to the E46 example you referred to?

I just picked up the car and threw on this ghetto overflow tank while at the track last weekend... I ran a long line so fluid would flow back into the tank as pressure dropped, not ideal but seems to work right now as a bandaid fix.
Attached Images