BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #89
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I wouldn't say I drive aggressively, simply the way it was designed to be driven which is as an auto-clutch manual, and if driven this way it doesn't lag. Or maybe the USA cars are different because it seems that their owners are the only ones that are complaining about it.
And that is why this thread also contains the same DCT lag/hesitation complaints from:
Nitramsen is in Switzerland
DamirM3 is in Calgary
Footie is in Northern Ireland
Gr8000 is in Athens Greece
M3-Mike is in Toronto
Mtres is in Portugal

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #90
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Fair enough, I'll leave you guys to your campaign. I still think its a shame that you would rather complain to BMW in the hope that they will adapt the DCT to you, rather than take the simpler route of driving the car as it was designed to be driven.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #91
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Quote:
Fair enough, I'll leave you guys to your campaign. I still think its a shame that you would rather complain to BMW in the hope that they will adapt the DCT to you, rather than take the simpler route of driving the car as it was designed to be driven.
If we drove the car the way it was designed, we would all be in jail. I love DCT
at the track but it still has some bugs as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #92
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
DCT performs real well last week for me at the Performance Center M School, no complains there!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #93
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
DCT performs real well last week for me at the Performance Center M School, no complains there!!
No one's complaining about it at the track.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #94
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
You are really quite clueless aren't you? Why are you riding up on your high horse on this issue? The transmission, when in auto mode is designed to be driven like any automatic car. The day of having to do silly things like manually blip the gas pedal to get an SMG car to downshift smooth and fast is long over.

The tranny in D mode is virtually flawless EXCEPT this rather large BUG that can be a SAFETY issue and WAS NOT present before the first DCT software upgrade.

What part of this don't you get?

I think it is a shame you are trolling so much on this thread and acting like you are a better driver than the rest of us upset about a big software bug.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #95
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #96
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Quote from bmw.com (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ivelogic1.html)

"Taking your breath away but not your speed, the M double-clutch transmission (DCT) with Drivelogic transfers engine power to the road without the slightest disruption to tractive force. With two transmission structures the system is able to switch simply between the two, thus providing constant power to the rear wheels. Gears can be changed without the transmission of power being interrupted using either the paddles, shift lever or automatic mode for even more dynamic comfort. 0 to 100 km/h takes just 5.1 seconds, two tenths of a second faster than the manual transmission."

There is no adapting to do, only possible solution is a fix from BMW on this highly dangerous fault which is present all the time. The above qoute clearly shows that what we are experiencing is not by design but a fault from BMW introduced by a software update. I believe that they should have disabled auto mode (Both in d and in s) in a hotfix because this lag is putting peoples’ lives at risk. But apprently BMW has a greater concern for their money then for lives.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #97
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

I think it is a shame you are trolling so much on this thread and acting like you are a better driver than the rest of us upset about a big software bug.
Each to his own...you guys carry on with your bitching and whining and hating driving your car, me I'll carry on loving every moment of driving my (apparently bug free) car.
Don't BMW have a school you can go to learn how to drive the DCT M3?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #98
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
yes is called the Performance Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
well I guess if the car is not driven fast, its not driven correctly
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #99
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Each to his own...you guys carry on with your bitching and whining and hating driving your car, me I'll carry on loving every moment of driving my (apparently bug free) car.
Actually the one bitching and whining the loudest here is yourself. Perhaps you should indeed carry on driving your car instead of carrying on in this thread like a rather snotty seven year old.

As swamp (and many others before him) said this isssue did not exist with nearly the predominance it now does when we had the original software. It was introduced with the latest version of the software and therefore by defintion, it is a bug. And bugs should be fixed. Furthermore dual clutch transmissions from other vendors are not exhibting this same issue.

Quote:
Yep. There are also schools that teach automotive engineering, and those curriculums will not have any lessons teaching their pupils that a laggy clutch is a safe or reaonable thing to place in a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #100
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Doesn't the UK provide free public grammar school where you learn basic logic as well as some manners? You are so utterly clueless. Just give up the trolling.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #101
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

LOL oh come on, no need to get all self righteous and upset...Jeez some folk take themselves way too seriously.
AnywayI'm sure Getrag started working full time on changing the software once they heard you guys were firing off all those letters to BMW...proper quaking in their boots I bet. They will have it all sorted in a jiffy just like they sorted the SMG software for the E46 M3!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #102
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
As a casual observer, it is something that BMW needs to fix soon, but it is nice that there's a manual work-around that drivers can avail themselves of until the fix is complete.

Dave
      03-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #103
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

I'm trying to get used to that lag, but i can't...

It keeps annoying me every day. I prefer to drive in automatic-mode, so it occurs very often. I really hope BMW is going to solve this issue and i hope very fast...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #104
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You guys have probably seen this already but in case not:
"The Product Liability / Personal Injury Attorney at The Lance Firm is currently investigating these BMW M3 M DCT transmission failure complaints. If you or someone you know has suffered a personal injury in an accident involving a BMW M3 M DCT stall, lag or hesitation wreck, contact us today, a product liability lawyer at our law firm will discuss your options and legal rights."
http://www.utahjusticelaw.com/Lance-...liability.html
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #105
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
LOL oh come on, no need to get all self righteous and upset...Jeez some folk take themselves way too seriously.
AnywayI'm sure Getrag started working full time on changing the software once they heard you guys were firing off all those letters to BMW...proper quaking in their boots I bet. They will have it all sorted in a jiffy just like they sorted the SMG software for the E46 M3!
Now, you're scaring me. If BMW doesn't do something pretty soon, I'm going to buy another car and bring my POS DCT back to the dealer service department. They can have it with the instructions to call me when it's safe to drive.

For the rest of you who think this can be cured with changes to driving style:
1) Note that I've tried it in manual mode as well, still hesitates
2) You should actually buy a DCT equiped M3 and stop guessing.
3) Drive a few more miles than 200 a month, because I put a 3000/mo on mine
4) I can keep it from happening by applying a small amount of throttle through the turn. This doesn't help the actually important case where I am rolling in an intersection and need the car to accelerate when I apply the throttle, not a second later.

Here's some info:

55 mph = 80 feet per second
A car traveling 55mph travels 5 car lengths in the time a DCT equiped M3 spends thinking about engaging the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #106
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
You guys have probably seen this already but in case not:
"The Product Liability / Personal Injury Attorney at The Lance Firm is currently investigating these BMW M3 M DCT transmission failure complaints. If you or someone you know has suffered a personal injury in an accident involving a BMW M3 M DCT stall, lag or hesitation wreck, contact us today, a product liability lawyer at our law firm will discuss your options and legal rights."
http://www.utahjusticelaw.com/Lance-...liability.html
Hah!
I like that one. That is a post that will get some attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #107
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Doesn't the UK provide free public grammar school where you learn basic logic as well as some manners? You are so utterly clueless. Just give up the trolling.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Actually the one bitching and whining the loudest here is yourself. Perhaps you should indeed carry on driving your car instead of carrying on in this thread like a rather snotty seven year old.
+1

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #108
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Hi All,

I love the MDCT, especially at the track. It reminds me of the Pro Formula Mazda I drove, which had a 6-spd "no-lift" shift sequential gearbox, only faster I tend to drive more civil on the street and thus haven't noticed the hesitation about which folks are complaining.

I joined this forum to get information about the non-track worthy brakes and came upon this thread. If you guys want to really complain about safety issues, the brakes are a better subject. Even one panic stop on the streets shows evidence of fade. The pads and fluid just don't seem to be up to the task. But I digress, I will post that to a different thread.

Last edited by M3V8Driver; 03-15-2009 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #109
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
BMW sent me an engineer from the BMWNA..He agreed on the hesitation but he said it is considered normal by BMW...I think BMW is not taking this seriously until something bad happens ...I heard there is another software update ...Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #110
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
1) Note that I've tried it in manual mode as well, still hesitates
4) I can keep it from happening by applying a small amount of throttle through the turn. This doesn't help the actually important case where I am rolling in an intersection and need the car to accelerate when I apply the throttle, not a second later.
Well I did have a long drive today in D4 to try and get a feel for the problems you guys are having. Well its certainly annoying when the DCT gets all indecisive when it thinks you are rolling to a stop then you apply the power. IIRC It was similar with the SMG E46 M3. Its probable that in the 6 years I spent driving my SMG M3 I subconciously learnt to drive it in a very specific way to avoid getting caught out blending into fast traffic, which maybe is why I don't have any trouble with the DCT M3.
Unfortunately I don't see any solution other than driving in S4 and not allowing the gearbox software to make the change into 2nd (and 1st) as you slow towards a junction.
As your Point 4) above if I'm rolling up to a junction (in S4) I do apply the smallest amount of throttle to confirm that I'm in a gear with the clutch engaged before commiting to accelerating out into traffic.
Appreciate 0