BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

09-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
tg600
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

New Member with a Problem

Hello everyone. Ive been following this message board for quite a few months and it has been absolutely great. Very professional and informative to say the least. I finally decided to become a member because I have been having a problem with ordering my E92 M3, and I believe that the members of this board will be very helpful as they have been in the past.

I live in NYC and had placed an order sometime around May 2008 for an E92 M3 at what is considered one of the larger BMW dealerships in NY. My family members are loyal customers at this particular dealership and have purchased and leased many cars from the same dealer. When I placed my order in May, I was told that I may not make it in time for an '08 but would definitley be in one of the first few allocations for the '09s in September. I asked to place a down payment the same day that my order was entered into the computer, and was told not to worry about doing so. I went away for about a month in the summer, but was contacted before hand that I could have an allocation to receive the car at the end of August, but decided instead to wait till September for the new idrive. Since then, I have contacted the dealership only to find out on 3 separate occasion that my car will be coming in later than expected. At first it was September delivery. It then turned into October delivery, then October production with early November delivery, and just recently I was told that the production was mistaken and that it will be built in early November with delivery in December.

When i had placed my order, I inquired about the production number that enables you to "track" your vehicle. I was told that, i will receive that number as soon as my order gets transfered from the dealerships "order bank" to an actual order. My dealer claims that I am next on the list to get my car ordered. I recently called 2 other local dealerships and was told that if I order today with them, my car will be built in October and delivered in the first or second week of November, and that I would be given the "tracking number" as soon as I order it. How is it possible that 2 dealerships have allocations immediatley available for November delievery and my current order has been postponed 3 times? I am afraid that the dealer whom i trusted is pushing the order off possibly for other orders who are willing to pay for more expedient delivery. It is very aggravating to think about how long i have waited, and how much longer i will have to wait unless i do something. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Given the current M3 market, I would doubt that people are paying your dealer premiums to get an early 09 build. BMW is reducing the number of cars being built so 09 allocations are expected to be fewer. Do you know at what point you became 'next' in line for an 09 and if others have already been allocated ahead of you? It's a buyers market right now, so I'm sure there are other dealers which would be happy for your business if the dealer doesn't have an allocation or can't work a trade for one.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

For me it's a no brainier. If you are getting the price you want through another dealership with a early er production date take it.

Sounds to me they were keeping there fingers crossed for an extra slot for you that never materialized.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
tg600
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
Given the current M3 market, I would doubt that people are paying your dealer premiums to get an early 09 build. BMW is reducing the number of cars being built so 09 allocations are expected to be fewer. Do you know at what point you became 'next' in line for an 09 and if others have already been allocated ahead of you? It's a buyers market right now, so I'm sure there are other dealers which would be happy for your business if the dealer doesn't have an allocation or can't work a trade for one.
I understand that the current M3 market is weak, but here in NY it doesnt seem as if its slowing down at all. I have been 'next' since the begining of September. It may have been earlier, but as far as I knew fromMay when I ordered it, I was supposed to have it in September (09 model), and I never bothered finding out my rank in line because September was the ideal time for me to receive it. Both other dealerships I spoke to ensured me that if I do order today, I will have it by first week of November. I am not the greatest at negotiations, however no one will budge under MSRP. Does 2K off MSRP on an '09 coupe seem like that much of a lowball offer to a dealership? I basically contacted a dealership and told them if they can get me the car by November for 2K under MSRP I will come buy it now. I was practically laughed at. Either the M3 market in not as weak in NY (city area), or these dealerships play hard to get. Could easily be my lack of negotiation skills though.

Realistically, what kind of price can I get for an 09? My car as ordered is E92 (AW FR CF), loaded, minus rear sunshade. Any tips on how to get the NY dealers to give in to this price?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep

Hey there.

Is your dealer from BMW Manhattan? Sometimes they are full of shit.

Anyway every dealer is given a certain number of allocations, and when they use it up, they have to wait until BMW assigns them another one. For example, when I ordered my car in back in March, one of the dealers I called didn't have an allocation until a year later. But others had allocations right in March.

So, if your dealer still can't get your car built any time soon, cancel your order and buy it from someone who actually has an allocation. Getting a tracking # takes at most 1 business day.

When you ordered there should have been a clause saying that if your car is significantly delayed you can get your deposite back.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
tg600
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Hey there.

Is your dealer from BMW Manhattan? Sometimes they are full of shit.

Anyway every dealer is given a certain number of allocations, and when they use it up, they have to wait until BMW assigns them another one. For example, when I ordered my car in back in March, one of the dealers I called didn't have an allocation until a year later. But others had allocations right in March.

So, if your dealer still can't get your car built any time soon, cancel your order and buy it from someone who actually has an allocation. Getting a tracking # takes at most 1 business day.

When you ordered there should have been a clause saying that if your car is significantly delayed you can get your deposite back.

GL!
My dealer is not BMW Manhattan, although I did call them, and they were one of the dealerships that told me I would have it in November if I ordered with them. Given that i knew my dealer for several years, he did not even want a down payment for my car, even though I asked him to do so. WHat your saying is I should have had a tracking number and production week the day after I placed my order?

He told me I dont get that # until the order goes through to BMW... Technically I have nothing to lose by ordering somewhere else, but I am concerned that they are telling me November delivery to lure me into ordering, and then perhaps they b.s. me that its been pushed back, like my current dealer is saying. They have reassured me though that I will get that tracking # when i order.

Invoice on a coupe is about 4.5K below MSRP, is 2K off MSRP on an 09 too much to ask for? My current order is for 6MT, however i recently test drove an 08 E93 DCT and am considering switching to DCT. Does transmision selection play a role in the bargaining process?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Sounds like "business as usual" at your dealership. Why not look elsewhere, perhaps a different State (you can always fly out for delivery and drive back to NY). I had the same issues as you with my original dealership (Concord BMW), they kept delaying my order. I even received a production number from them which they later gave to someone else which is why I jumped ship and looked elsewhere. Bottom line is if you search hard enough you will find a dealership that will treat you right and keep their promises, just be assertive with your expectations from the get-go. Shady practices make the wait even more difficult if not unbearable at times. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
      09-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Wow, this is literally EXACTLY what happened to me at Fields BMW in winter park. I was also a return customer and they gave me the same bullshit everytime I would call about my car. In the end I went down to the dealership and got my money back and yelled at my CA so I could let out my frustration.

But before I did all that I called about 10 BMW dealerships all over Florida to see which dealer had the earliest allocation. I hit the jackpot when I called Reeves in Tampa and they told me a M3 was suppose to go into production tomorrow but they guy canceled an hour before I called. What they ended up doing was switching all his options with mine. A month later I took delivery of my car.

So my suggestion to you is to call around the Tri-State area to find the earliest allocation you can and be sure to get a production number if its possible and call the #1800 to confirm it. Even though you may have to drive a little farther its well worth it.

I know exactly the frustration your feeling but you just gotta stick in there!

Good luck dude
      09-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

If you you don't want to look outside of NY, I would recommend PMing the forum member Seth from the link below. He had a CA that was quoting $2500 off on 08s (May) when the market was much better than today. Maybe able to find a more reasonable deal on an 09.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141501
Appreciate 0