BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #67
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
Is it not possible for BMW M to develop a DFI solution during the E92 production run and begin implementing it or do we have to wait until the next model altogether?
Good question. I was wondering about that, too. BMW has not messed with the M3 engines too much for any given chassis. I believe the E46 M3 did not change at all during production, and both the E30 M3 and the E36 M3 engine got 0.2l displament bumps mid-way through. I am sure DFI will be technically possible in a year or two, but pratically, I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #68
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Good question. I was wondering about that, too. BMW has not messed with the M3 engines too much for any given chassis. I believe the E46 M3 did not change at all during production, and both the E30 M3 and the E36 M3 engine got 0.2l displament bumps mid-way through. I am sure DFI will be technically possible in a year or two, but pratically, I doubt it.
Although they don't mess with the engine often, they introduced the ZCP package. BMW has also had other performance adding models/packages in the previous(E30/E36) models. I hope it's a possibility, but I know I'd sure be pissed if I bought one of the earlier models and BMW turned around and introduced a DFI model.

Seems like it'd be a long time to wait to see a DFI M3 if we have to wait until the next model run.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #69
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Although they don't mess with the engine often, they introduced the ZCP package. BMW has also had other performance adding models/packages in the previous(E30/E36) models. I hope it's a possibility, but I know I'd sure be pissed if I bought one of the earlier models and BMW turned around and introduced a DFI model.

Seems like it'd be a long time to wait to see a DFI M3 if we have to wait until the next model run.
Yep, the ZCP did improve handling but did not alter the engine. The E46 CSL did though with new manifolds and exhaust.

I would image that BMW would not want to piss nicely paying customers off. They would aliniate about 20000 people if they were to introduce DFI during the second year run.

The only reason I can think of for such a move is potentially stiff competition emerging within the next 2 years. If the new RS4 comes out with a 550hp+ engine for instance, which is possible if they turbocharge a varient of the current engine. Then there is the GTR.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #70
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:

I think read somewhere where an M engineer said that since they made a decision early on to base the 4 litre off the 5 litre, DFI won't be introduced into the M line until next generation. This is where I think Porsche is going to be ahead of the game, batting clean up sorta speak. Hope I am wrong. By the way, I don't think Porsche is going to get the horsepower and mileage numbers claimed in AutoLies through DFI.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #71
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep, the ZCP did improve handling but did not alter the engine. The E46 CSL did though with new manifolds and exhaust.

I would image that BMW would not want to piss nicely paying customers off. They would aliniate about 20000 people if they were to introduce DFI during the second year run.

The only reason I can think of for such a move is potentially stiff competition emerging within the next 2 years. If the new RS4 comes out with a 550hp+ engine for instance, which is possible if they turbocharge a varient of the current engine. Then there is the GTR.
Any idea how long this model run is supposed to be?

Another six years is a long time to wait for DFI in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #72
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
You must be kidding. Just look at what the 335 did to 330 customers a year or so later. BMW knows there are plenty of Roundel worshippers who have to have their "latest and greatest" to show up the neighbors.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #73
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any idea how long this model run is supposed to be?

Another six years is a long time to wait for DFI in the M3.
I am afraid it is exactly that: 6 years. Then +1 for the usual absence of the M3 from the lineup while the 3-series is introduced.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #74
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Would you pay $5 for a pensil, simply because you can afford to do so..?

Perhaps he wants both car, but wants to make a logical descision based on several dynamics and not just performance. But, notwithstanding, performance must meet a certain mark to be considered.

Why knows.

I just hope you enjoy your purchases.
Not to rehash this thread, but this is the essence of what I was saying, or trying to say.

Let's move forward and appreciate what we have to look forward to.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #75
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
You must be kidding. Just look at what the 335 did to 330 customers a year or so later. BMW knows there are plenty of Roundel worshippers who have to have their "latest and greatest" to show up the neighbors.
Oh, but the 330 customers are not necessarily the "give me the highest performance possible on a street car" people. And they would have paid much less than the M3 customers. Most M3 buyers will be wanting every bit of performance for the buck--regardless of the fact that they won't use it on the street. And they will be paying big bucks. Regardless, I agree that there must be some pissed off 330 customers out there, but I doubt that they number in the thousands, or that that would keep them from buying another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #76
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Let's move forward and appreciate what we have to look forward to.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #77
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Oh, but the 330 customers are not necessarily the "give me the highest performance possible on a street car" people. And they would have paid much less than the M3 customers. Most M3 buyers will be wanting every bit of performance for the buck--regardless of the fact that they won't use it on the street. And they will be paying big bucks. Regardless, I agree that there must be some pissed off 330 customers out there, but I doubt that they number in the thousands, or that that would keep them from buying another BMW.
330 customers may not be as wealthy as M buyers or maybe they are just smarter with their money, considering cost of ownership. However, they are enthusiasts alike or they would probably of bought the 328 And I would bet, based only various BMW boards, the numbers are quite high. Who wouldn't be angry after driving the 335? Remember, those flying propellors are quite an alluring status symbol in most crowds. Sales numbers keep proving it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #78
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
330 customers may not be as wealthy as M buyers or maybe they are just smarter with their money, considering cost of ownership. However, they are enthusiasts alike or they would probably of bought the 328 And I would bet, based only various BMW boards, the numbers are quite high. Who wouldn't be angry after driving the 335? Remember, those flying propellors are quite an alluring status symbol in most crowds. Sales numbers keep proving it.
You have a point about the 328 vs. 330 decision. I wonder if the arrival of the 335 was publicized/leaked in advance so that potential buyers at least had the option to wait? If the M3 was going to get DFI mid-cycle (unlikely), I would think the best way to handle it might be to leak some info about it so that the enthusiasts get a chance to think things through...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #79
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am afraid it is exactly that: 6 years. Then +1 for the usual absence of the M3 from the lineup while the 3-series is introduced.
This makes me sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #80
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
You have a point about the 328 vs. 330 decision. I wonder if the arrival of the 335 was publicized/leaked in advance so that potential buyers at least had the option to wait? If the M3 was going to get DFI mid-cycle (unlikely), I would think the best way to handle it might be to leak some info about it so that the enthusiasts get a chance to think things through...
I was really hoping for DFI, especially knowing that Porsche was on the cusp of introducing their own version and the 335 already had it. Seemed like a no brainer. This has been probably the biggest disapointment for me with the new M3. Imagine the horsepower and mileage bump it would of provided. It would have been a monster that the RS4, C63 and C2 couldn't of touched for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #81
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was really hoping for DFI, especially knowing that Porsche was on the cusp of introducing their own version and the 335 already had it. Seemed like a no brainer. This has been probably the biggest disapointment for me with the new M3. Imagine the horsepower and mileage bump it would of provided. It would have been a monster that the RS4, C63 and C2 couldn't of touched for years to come.
There was a discussion around this on another thread. I believe it came down to BMW wanting to push the envelope in implementing the DFI tech that uses the highest injector pressure/design, which is not exactly ready yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #82
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Man, you have a new "biggest disappointment" every other day. Is there anything about the M3 you do like?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #83
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Man, you have a new "biggest disappointment" every other day. Is there anything about the M3 you do like?
The flying propeller of course, enough said?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #84
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
There was a discussion around this on another thread. I believe it came down to BMW wanting to push the envelope in implementing the DFI tech that uses the highest injector pressure/design, which is not exactly ready yet.
I read that too. Looks like PAG may be making some headway with this if AutoLies numbers are even halfway close.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #85
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
The info was available, but it was not acknowledged in the least by BMW and was also debated very hotly on the forums. In addtion, BMW waited until the absolute 11th hour to finally confirm the E90 335i. Most everyone was convinced that only the E92/E93 would get the N54 turbo. Others thought that the E90 would get it, but not until a few model years later (like for the mid-life refresh). You really had to scour the forums and keep track of the posts made by the claimed insiders and study their track records. People were getting flamed left and right for even suggesting that BMW would release an E90 335i so early and "screw over" the 2006 330i owners.

In the end, many, many, MANY people were caught off guard by the E90 335i, and there were countless threads on E90post from pissed off 330i owners. I would guess that probably at least 25% of them have gone on to trade for a 335i by now (taking a large loss in the process). Bottom line is, IMHO, it is rare for an automanufacturer to base their products around the wishes of past customers. Typically they are much more concerned about future customers. They will do what it takes to keep pace with what their competitors are doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #86
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The info was available, but it was not acknowledged in the least by BMW and was also debated very hotly on the forums. In addtion, BMW waited until the absolute 11th hour to finally confirm the E90 335i. Most everyone was convinced that only the E92/E93 would get the N54 turbo. Others thought that the E90 would get it, but not until a few model years later (like for the mid-life refresh). You really had to scour the forums and keep track of the posts made by the claimed insiders and study their track records. People were getting flamed left and right for even suggesting that BMW would release an E90 335i so early and "screw over" the 2006 330i owners.

In the end, many, many, MANY people were caught off guard by the E90 335i, and there were countless threads on E90post from pissed off 330i owners. I would guess that probably at least 25% of them have gone on to trade for a 335i by now (taking a large loss in the process). Bottom line is, IMHO, it is rare for an automanufacturer to base their products around the wishes of past customers. Typically they are much more concerned about future customers. They will do what it takes to keep pace with what their competitors are doing.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #87
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Read that interview about DFI also. If I got the BMW guy (think it was Richter) right, he said that the next generation will get it. So first DFI car should be the next Generation (F10) M5 followed by the next generation M3. Maybe even the rumoured X6-M will be the first M car to get DFI. Imagine the V10 combined with a 5.000 lb car, that would need the consumption advantage of DFI really hard!
I can't decide if I'm more disappointed that the M3 didn't get DFI or more happy that this technology which is still making trouble isn't featured yet... If the 20 MPG figure turned out to be right while sporty driving (not track), I wouldn't care about DFI any more.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #88
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Read that interview about DFI also. If I got the BMW guy (think it was Richter) right, he said that the next generation will get it. So first DFI car should be the next Generation (F10) M5 followed by the next generation M3. Maybe even the rumoured X6-M will be the first M car to get DFI. Imagine the V10 combined with a 5.000 lb car, that would need the consumption advantage of DFI really hard!
I can't decide if I'm more disappointed that the M3 didn't get DFI or more happy that this technology which is still making trouble isn't featured yet... If the 20 MPG figure turned out to be right while sporty driving (not track), I wouldn't care about DFI any more.

Best regards, south
The RS4 with the older generation DFI gets terrible mileage. Yet to see a car with the newer generation DFI work with a high reving motor. Will be interesting to see if Porsche will be the first to break through this barrier.
Appreciate 0