BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

10-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Rep
Drives: currently... a Euro Ford...

Key fob cost/ disabling missing fob?

(A search didn't help, but I'm sure this would have been talked about in the past.)

I was wondering how much a new key fob would cost - I'm guessing it would need to be purchased/ programmed by BMW? I've noticed quite a few used M3's are missing the second fob.

Along the same lines, do you need a BMW dealer to disable any "missing" key fob that is still linked to that vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
jackindabox
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I purchased a replacement from https://store.bimmernav.com. At the time it worked out to be half the price being quoted at local dealer.

In relation to disabling missing keys I believe you can have the old key deleted from the CAS memory. The CAS control unit can have a maximum of 10 keys associated to it. This requires
activation or de-activation through a diagnostic machine and software.

The old metal key will still work in the key hole but they won't be able to start the car or unlock with the remote.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Rep

Thanks. So about US$400 at that site for a "comfort access" fob with key blade and already programmed for your car.

So you still need BMW to link the key/ comfort access fob using the diagnostic machine and software you mentioned?

Quote:
Key will be shipped pre-programmed for your specific cars ignition immobilizer code (EWS Immobilize/CAS programmed) by BMW Headquarters in Germany. No dealer programming required in cars without Comfort Access Option.

Last edited by 2022500; 10-26-2019 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
jackindabox
Rep

Amount is correct and no need for BMW to link the key to the car. The key arrived already programmed based on my VIN.

The diagnostic tool (e.g. BMW Multitool CAS) would be used to tell the car to lock out/ forget any missing keys.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:40 AM   #5
Rep

Perhaps a silly question, but what's to stop someone reading the VIN off the windscreen and ordering a key fob to steal the vehicle?

(I'm not familiar with the BMW "Comfort Access" system but assume it's like the system on my Ford and you just need the fob and have a push button to start the engine?)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
jackindabox
Rep

The VIN is not enough as you have to validate that the car is yours as well. There is an entire section on the bimmernav website for Submitting your Documentation. Comfort access is very handy. Do a search on BMW comfort access as it has a lot of features.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Rep

https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/blogs/...s-system-work/

Similar to the system on my Ford- apart from the memory function where it will "customise" everything to your favourites.

Is the BMW system able to be hacked using a receiver/ transmitter to trick the system into the fob being present? It's a big problem in the UK with some brands.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:28 AM   #8
jackindabox
Rep

From reading up on "Signal Amplification Relay Attack (SARA)", it seems most modern cars are susceptible to having the fobs hacked. Basic prevention means placing the key in a metal box overnight to block the signal, adding a steering lock and using the metal key. For a more advanced solution look up "ghost immobiliser" or add a hidden kill switch.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Rep

Yes, a lot of vehicles are affected. One of the new ways to combat it from Ford is to have the fobs "sleep" if no movement is detected. So they won't respond to any scanning device. That at least stops people walking around your house perimeter with the scanners trying to get a fob in the house to respond.
Appreciate 0