BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1233
Rep
3,705
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

If considering LASIK

I thought this article would be helpful

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/1...gtype=Homepage
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
64
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: 35824

iTrader: (0)

I can't speak for that guy but I was warned many times by all parties involved about the potential for serious and permanent side effects.

There are also many different kinds of lasik procedures and I didn't see which one that guy had.

I had lasik a few years back, best money I ever spent, worth every penny and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But you have to do your own research on the different procedures and ask lots of questions to your doctor and ask for referrals for a surgeon.

I would wager that this guy was in the very small minority of the 600k plus procedures done annually per the article. But yes, rare cases like this can and do happen as I'm sure there are freak things that can and do happen with any kind of elective surgery.
Appreciate 2
cjb762229.00
Timujin115.00

      06-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
SFCM3
Captain
United_States
571
Rep
976
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

my wife got Lasik about 6 years ago, went smooth in and out in 30mins. However when she first got a consultation for Lasik about 15 years ago, they turned her down bc technology wasnt good enough for her vision condition (astigmatism).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
MGM135is
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1024
Rep
1,861
Posts

Drives: 135is #399
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Just my 2 cents. I did a bunch of research before I had my eyes done since I couldn't replace them. I was active duty Navy at the time. I was able to go priority 2 on the Navy list but was prepared to pay on my own since was told it could take several years before I got a call.

Anyway, after reading a lot of medical studies, and why the Navy chose PRK, that was the route I was determined to go. At about 12 months, the Bethesda contacted me and was able to get in and get PRK through them. I have been 20/15 since 2003.

The reason they said PRK was preferred treatment is because of the likelihood of tearing the flap created during LASIK in blunt force trauma situations or during high G flight. Severed nerve endings, causing tear production issues was also noted. They also said that while LASIK provided a quick reduction in pain and sight improvement, PRK actually resulted in slightly better eyesight results after 12 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
Megabrode's Avatar
United_States
170
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shockoe Bottom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Just my 2 cents. I did a bunch of research before I had my eyes done since I couldn't replace them. I was active duty Navy at the time. I was able to go priority 2 on the Navy list but was prepared to pay on my own since was told it could take several years before I got a call.

Anyway, after reading a lot of medical studies, and why the Navy chose PRK, that was the route I was determined to go. At about 12 months, the Bethesda contacted me and was able to get in and get PRK through them. I have been 20/15 since 2003.

The reason they said PRK was preferred treatment is because of the likelihood of tearing the flap created during LASIK in blunt force trauma situations or during high G flight. Severed nerve endings, causing tear production issues was also noted. They also said that while LASIK provided a quick reduction in pain and sight improvement, PRK actually resulted in slightly better eyesight results after 12 months.
My son recently had PRK rather than lasik for the reasons you cite. So far, so good. A few days ago I sent him that nytimes article, which seems to imply he made the right choice with PRK. He did his research.

But for me, at my age, PRK or lasik would mean reading glasses or, worse, correcting for reading in one eye and distance in the other.

Since I've happily worn contacts since 1965, I've got no reason to risk eye surgery. The new generation of bifocal lenses take literally a minute morning and night for excellent vision near and far.

That said, if I struggled with contacts, as many do, I'd consider PRK.

One other note: I play tennis with an eye surgeon whose sole practice is correcting botched lasik. Or attempting to. My God, the stories...
__________________
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, M Drive, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | Euro front bumper | Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers | 275 & 295/30-19
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
aozer
Lieutenant
aozer's Avatar
586
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

they are shooting fucking lasers into your eye, obviously there is a chance something could go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
stbm5
First Lieutenant
165
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5 DG
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 72211

iTrader: (0)

just read that then saw it here. yeah, i know a couple people pretty unhappy after lasix...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
MGM135is
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1024
Rep
1,861
Posts

Drives: 135is #399
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
My son recently had PRK rather than lasik for the reasons you cite. So far, so good. A few days ago I sent him that nytimes article, which seems to imply he made the right choice with PRK. He did his research.

But for me, at my age, PRK or lasik would mean reading glasses or, worse, correcting for reading in one eye and distance in the other.

Since I've happily worn contacts since 1965, I've got no reason to risk eye surgery. The new generation of bifocal lenses take literally a minute morning and night for excellent vision near and far.

That said, if I struggled with contacts, as many do, I'd consider PRK.

One other note: I play tennis with an eye surgeon whose sole practice is correcting botched lasik. Or attempting to. My God, the stories...
I was able to wear contacts for a few years but at some point it became uncomfortable all the time and I went back to glasses. The doctors told me I would need reading glasses sooner than normal due to the surgery but I am 52 and haven’t needed them yet. I figured I would at least have distance vision which is what I really missed. Every once in a while I use a pair of 1.25 readers for working on very small items.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
MGM135is
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1024
Rep
1,861
Posts

Drives: 135is #399
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
they are shooting fucking lasers into your eye, obviously there is a chance something could go wrong.
Oh yeah, I saw smoke coming off my eyeballs and smelled burning flesh. Somewhat scary. The laser creates a crackling sound as it burns off a piece of your eyeball. It definitely hurt more than my vasectomy.

Last edited by MGM135is; 06-13-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
obert
Colonel
obert's Avatar
United_States
574
Rep
2,754
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (30)

My Mom had it done years ago. She is back to wearing contacts and glasses. Not worth the risk if you can just use glasses or contacts.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
BILLY MEIER
New Member
11
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 1995 gti vr6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Haverhill ma

iTrader: (0)

Don't do it, First advice I can give you is read all the billy meier contact notes, I have spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries , including Lasik at TLC in Waltham mass, (tiger woods was promoting it at the time) paid like 6 thousand for best procedure , well I can see better but nothing close to wearing my glasses

Now im back to wearing my glasses, always have dry eyes , use lasik eye drops daily, also spent $35,000 in hair transplants, I just shave my head now, bosley ,, dr cole ,, dr leonard in boston is the worst of the 3, Et race that created us did a shitty job on purpose, that why 33 yeal on chris paul of Houston rockets is considered old lol
Appreciate 1
wdb1112.50

      06-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1078
Rep
7,365
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

No. 1 rule : Wait until you're over 40 yrs of age.
No. 2 rule : Your mileage will vary in terms of correction.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
wdb
dances with roads
wdb's Avatar
United_States
1113
Rep
1,907
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 Z4C, '07 E93
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: the perimeter

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY MEIER View Post
Don't do it, First advice I can give you is read all the billy meier contact notes, I have spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries , including Lasik at TLC in Waltham mass, (tiger woods was promoting it at the time) paid like 6 thousand for best procedure , well I can see better but nothing close to wearing my glasses

Now im back to wearing my glasses, always have dry eyes , use lasik eye drops daily, also spent $35,000 in hair transplants, I just shave my head now, bosley ,, dr cole ,, dr leonard in boston is the worst of the 3, Et race that created us did a shitty job on purpose, that why 33 yeal on chris paul of Houston rockets is considered old lol
That's it people. Internet is closed for the rest of the day.
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Captain
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
1165
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY MEIER View Post
Don't do it, First advice I can give you is read all the billy meier contact notes, I have spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries , including Lasik at TLC in Waltham mass, (tiger woods was promoting it at the time) paid like 6 thousand for best procedure , well I can see better but nothing close to wearing my glasses

Now im back to wearing my glasses, always have dry eyes , use lasik eye drops daily, also spent $35,000 in hair transplants, I just shave my head now, bosley ,, dr cole ,, dr leonard in boston is the worst of the 3, Et race that created us did a shitty job on purpose, that why 33 yeal on chris paul of Houston rockets is considered old lol
i didnt follow much, but why did you have chris paul do your lasik hair transplant surgery with Tiger Woods?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
693
Rep
4,202
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
i didnt follow much, but why did you have chris paul do your lasik hair transplant surgery with Tiger Woods?
Hairy eyes are all the rage now. I'd pay $45k for that as well.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe • 6 MT • Black Saphire Metallic • PP • SP • Heated M Seats • Clutch Stop • Stubby
2008 R6 • Raven Black • GPR Steering Stabilizer • Comp Werks FE • Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2016 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Premium Plus 4x4 • K&N CAI • Toyo G2 LT305/55R20
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
Wolf 335
Colonel
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
704
Rep
2,091
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

I had Lasik.

I lived with bad eyesight for about 2 years (never wore glasses or contacts)and then went straight to Lasik.

Correcting your vision (what ever method you choose) and liberating yourself from glasses/contacts is the best money you will ever spend.
Eyesight is better than 20/20. Countless procedures have been preformed, the key is that you follow your post treatment eye drops schedule and recommendations.

I would recommend it 100%
Appreciate 1
SFCM3571.00

      06-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
SFCM3
Captain
United_States
571
Rep
976
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY MEIER View Post
Don't do it, First advice I can give you is read all the billy meier contact notes, I have spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries , including Lasik at TLC in Waltham mass, (tiger woods was promoting it at the time) paid like 6 thousand for best procedure , well I can see better but nothing close to wearing my glasses

Now im back to wearing my glasses, always have dry eyes , use lasik eye drops daily, also spent $35,000 in hair transplants, I just shave my head now, bosley ,, dr cole ,, dr leonard in boston is the worst of the 3, Et race that created us did a shitty job on purpose, that why 33 yeal on chris paul of Houston rockets is considered old lol
so what yer saying is you make good money, but are blind and bald. I guess i can live with being perpetually broke since i have good eyesight and thick hair...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
TheWatchGuy
Captain
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
1165
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
so what yer saying is you make good money, but are blind and bald. I guess i can live with being perpetually broke since i have good eyesight and thick hair...
im broke with bad eyesight so i cant see my hair thinning.
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Surg_Capt_R
Major General
Surg_Capt_R's Avatar
No_Country
2674
Rep
5,137
Posts

Drives: F80 - M:- CP
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Too much risk. If you go blind then nothing can be done to restore vision. Three people in my family have had it done. One sees random red dots. One has burning eyes at random. The other has dry eyes and needs to buy drops to keep them hydrated. May be it is just me as I wear the chief risk management hat in my clinical work but I would never recommend it. Besides some people have changing vision depending on their condition. One of my friends who had it done, did it to avoid glasses but as his vision has improved he struggles because the laser is like having a permanent set of strong lenses on so he cannot use computers for too long but driving is not an issue. Waste of money. We don't come with spare parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
DieselDiner's Avatar
71
Rep
1,536
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Home

iTrader: (2)

Has anyone had prelex (Presbyopic Lens Exchange) performed?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #21
larrylarry
New Member
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I had PRK done about three years ago and its been great. Uncle Sam did it for free and I went from 20/200 in both eyes to 20/10 and 20/15. Other than a little light sensitivity I haven't had any side effects.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
blau iii
Lieutenant
77
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry View Post
I had PRK done about three years ago and its been great. Uncle Sam did it for free and I went from 20/200 in both eyes to 20/10 and 20/15. Other than a little light sensitivity I haven't had any side effects.
I'm looking to have PRK done later this year. I have a bad astigmatism and can't do lasik. how painful/uncomfortable was the procedure and recovery.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST