BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Debating a Supercharger, anyone with a supercharged M in Central PA?

Im currently debating selling my car or going for a supercharger. I would really like to get a ride in a supercharged e92 m3 before I make my decision. Is there anyone in central PA that has a supercharged e92 M3 that would be willing to take me for a ride? It doesn't have to be anything crazy just a highway pull or two and I can meet you where you like. Id prefer it isn't some crazy build like 700+ whp or anything as I am likely going for a ess g1 or 625 kit so something around that realm or of less power would be optimal as I don't wanna be convinced it's worth it only to be disappointed by the performance my kit of lesser power.

Thanks and I really appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:50 AM   #2
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbot007 View Post
Im currently debating selling my car or going for a supercharger. I would really like to get a ride in a supercharged e92 m3 before I make my decision. Is there anyone in central PA that has a supercharged e92 M3 that would be willing to take me for a ride? It doesn't have to be anything crazy just a highway pull or two and I can meet you where you like. Id prefer it isn't some crazy build like 700+ whp or anything as I am likely going for a ess g1 or 625 kit so something around that realm or of less power would be optimal as I don't wanna be convinced it's worth it only to be disappointed by the performance my kit of lesser power.

I was in your shoes once.

Contemplated a blower, drove one and absolutely loved it. But, I decided to get my RB's done and every mechanical issue addressed before doing so because I wanted a fresh car that was prepped for boost.

Decided to hold off because I was buying a house 6 months later, and got too comfortable with it being N/A.

Another six months went by, and I contemplated on selling the car to move into a M2 or a P car. Decided it was time for a blower and the rest is history.

If I ever get another performance car, it'll be in the stable with the M3. It's honestly so much fun to drive and I can't even think to get rid of it.
      04-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
Quote:

I was in your shoes once.

Contemplated a blower, drove one and absolutely loved it. But, I decided to get my RB's done and every mechanical issue addressed before doing so because I wanted a fresh car that was prepped for boost.

Decided to hold off because I was buying a house 6 months later, and got too comfortable with it being N/A.

Another six months went by, and I contemplated on selling the car to move into a M2 or a P car. Decided it was time for a blower and the rest is history.

If I ever get another performance car, it'll be in the stable with the M3. It's honestly so much fun to drive and I can't even think to get rid of it.
I appreciate your insight! This seems to be very similar to what most say who went down the same path
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
JohnJ86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 S/C

Quote:

It is definitely a game changer. I'm located East PA, otherwise I'd be down to do it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ86 View Post
Quote:

It is definitely a game changer. I'm located East PA, otherwise I'd be down to do it
Where in East PA? I would be willing to drive a little
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
Adriano917
09 M3 e93 VF650, e30 e85, Remus, Federal’s 595rs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Get a supercharger you wont regret it believe me, over 4k RPM’s it feels like a completely different car with over 200hp more. Go with the ESS G1 and install it yourself its easy.
      04-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

The supercharger is a game changer and without it I likely would've sold my car years ago. I don't drive my M3 very often these days but when I do it's a rush that the car could not provide in stock form. A supercharged 6MT S65 has lasting appeal to me that will be very difficult to replace.
      04-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano917 View Post
Get a supercharger you wont regret it believe me, over 4k RPM's it feels like a completely different car with over 200hp more. Go with the ESS G1 and install it yourself its easy.
Whatever I do I will definitely be doing it myself 100%. I do all the work on my cars with very few exceptions. I turbocharged my miata a few years ago and that required a large amount of (dirty) work and probably 40-50 hours to include all supporting mods. The idea that I can bolt on 200hp to my m3 in an afternoon seems very luxurious and appealing to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:21 AM   #9
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Get a supercharger you wont regret it believe me, over 4k RPM's it feels like a completely different car with over 200hp more. Go with the ESS G1 and install it yourself its easy.
Whatever I do I will definitely be doing it myself 100%. I do all the work on my cars with very few exceptions. I turbocharged my miata a few years ago and that required a large amount of (dirty) work and probably 40-50 hours to include all supporting mods. The idea that I can bolt on 200hp to my m3 in an afternoon seems very luxurious and appealing to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
The supercharger is a game changer and without it I likely would've sold my car years ago. I don't drive my M3 very often these days but when I do it's a rush that the car could not provide in stock form. A supercharged 6MT S65 has lasting appeal to me that will be very difficult to replace.
100% a supercharged 6MT S65 is unlike any other driving experience. I love mine so much.

Quote:
Quote:
Take care of maintenance stuff while your car is taken apart. I did my valve cover gaskets, pulleys, belts, plugs, etc while I was in there.
      05-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #10
m3boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625, Bronco

Had ess 625 for 6 years. Added also smaller pulley and meth. Amazing kit but all the power happens at 6-8k rpm. Most don’t like that so just know that.

I much rather have a car with low end tq after having ess.
Purchased a p3d and it’s way more fun and doesn’t need any mods to gap everything.

I still have the m3 but never drive it. It’s too slow unless your racing 60-120.
0-120 pull with the best possible conditions.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNqfG...=17vaypgrsbu6h

Last edited by m3boost; 05-01-2021 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
Had ess 625 for 6 years. Added also smaller pulley and meth. Amazing kit but all the power happens at 6-8k rpm. Most don’t like that so just know that.

I much rather have a car with low end tq after having ess.
Purchased a p3d and it’s way more fun and doesn’t need any mods to gap everything.

I still have the m3 but never drive it. It’s too slow unless your racing 60-120.
0-120 pull with the best possible conditions.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNqfG...=17vaypgrsbu6h
That looks very fast to me. Everything is relative, I guess. :
      05-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
m3boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625, Bronco

Quote:
Winter temps, no timing pulled. Summer hurts these engines hard.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #13
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
Quote:
Winter temps, no timing pulled. Summer hurts these engines hard.
Is the temp gauge reading 92F not accurate?
      05-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #14
highrevs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (E90, 6MT, ZCP)

Quote:
Is the temp gauge reading 92F not accurate?
If you warm the car up these kits can cause ridiculously inaccurate temp readings for the first five to ten minutes of driving. I’ve seen 130 deg.

In other news, I can confirm that the new ESS intercooler significantly improves summer performance. I was skeptical but gave it a go after it was announced a few weeks ago. It’s 60% larger than the one on the original VT2-625 and G1 kits. I’ve been averaging IATs 17 deg (F) warmer than ambient, even in temperatures up to 90 deg (F). The hot performance sucks less; I’ll put it that way. The car has been surprisingly quick. The trade off is that your oil temperatures increase 10-20 deg presumably because the oil cooler is blocked more.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      05-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #15
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrevs View Post
If you warm the car up these kits can cause ridiculously inaccurate temp readings for the first five to ten minutes of driving. I’ve seen 130 deg.

In other news, I can confirm that the new ESS intercooler significantly improves summer performance. I was skeptical but gave it a go after it was announced a few weeks ago. It’s 60% larger than the one on the original VT2-625 and G1 kits. I’ve been averaging IATs 17 deg (F) warmer than ambient, even in temperatures up to 90 deg (F). The hot performance sucks less; I’ll put it that way. The car has been surprisingly quick. The trade off is that your oil temperatures increase 10-20 deg presumably because the oil cooler is blocked more.
Do you have any additional information about the "new" intercooler?
      05-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #16
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I drove my sc m3 recently to 7000ft. It was low 90's that day and after a two hour drive the IAT's were 140f+ 😂 .. the car according to the awron made 250hp. I thought it was broken I had to pull over to pop the hood. I do love my sc m3 but it was its weaknesses.. once it heat soaks it's like driving NA again..
      05-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #17
highrevs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (E90, 6MT, ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Do you have any additional information about the "new" intercooler?
I believe it's now the default intercooler with the G1 kits. It's 60% larger than the older version that came with the VT2-625 and original G1 kits. ESS told me they developed it for improved track performance in hot weather. I bought it for spirited driving. $860 shipped. It can be retrofitted to VT2-625 and early G1 installations, but it requires different mounting brackets.

Tom at EAS posted some pictures a few months ago (link below) and I've attached some pictures of it on my car.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1#post27197291
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8114.50
      05-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #18
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrevs View Post
I believe it's now the default intercooler with the G1 kits. It's 60% larger than the older version that came with the VT2-625 and original G1 kits. ESS told me they developed it for improved track performance in hot weather. I bought it for spirited driving. $860 shipped. It can be retrofitted to VT2-625 and early G1 installations, but it requires different mounting brackets.

Tom at EAS posted some pictures a few months ago (link below) and I've attached some pictures of it on my car.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1#post27197291
Thank you very much for the info! I will be looking into this for sure. Did you buy the IC from EAS?
      05-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info! I will be looking into this for sure. Did you buy the IC from EAS?
If you're sitll having heating issues after that, upgrade your oil cooler and radiator with do88.
      05-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #20
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you're sitll having heating issues after that, upgrade your oil cooler and radiator with do88.
More info on this also please!
      05-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #21
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
I have a do88 oil cooler and csf radiator and a double capacity intercooler, I think half the heat soak issue is when you stop for lunch, between sessions etc. and all that engine heat radiates to the aluminum plenum, stacks and coolant reservoir and everything becomes 200 degrees, once that happens there's no coming back regardless of cooling capacity on a hot day. If it's 60's out great, 90's no bueno.
      05-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I have a do88 oil cooler and csf radiator and a double capacity intercooler, I think half the heat soak issue is when you stop for lunch, between sessions etc. and all that engine heat radiates to the aluminum plenum, stacks and coolant reservoir and everything becomes 200 degrees, once that happens there's no coming back regardless of cooling capacity on a hot day. If it's 60's out great, 90's no bueno.
I agree.

As far as the hardware compares though, the CSF radiator produced almost similar results to the OEM one.