BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

UPDATED! Installed Magnaflow Mufflers

Updated thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754740

Had my local muffler shop install the magnaflow mufflers (part # 14816.) I wanted to experiment with this before I dumped more money on getting a high quality, crafted by God exhaust--and suffice to say, these $250 mufflers (total) sound pretty damn wicked and throaty for the price. There is some drone around the 2500-3200 rpm range if I lug the engine, but if I leave it in cruise control at 65 mph, its tolerable, with some "humming" from the rear. I am thinking a new X-Pipe (the stock m3 x pipe, from what I have read, is a poor creation of what a true crossover is supposed to be) will remedy this some more. Maybe I will see if a new set of connecting pipes without the oem hydroformed pipes would help, too. I can get the magnaflow tru-x crossover for 60 bucks through a friend and can get it installed for free. I may do this to see if it eliminates the drone a bit more. I also don't have the secondary cats in my car either.

Overall, I paid $250 shipped for both mufflers, and paid $100 to get them installed. $350 total investment. Muffler shop cut off the stock muffler and welded in the new mufflers in the locations where the connecting pipes met with the OEM muffler. Fitment is great, and it looks more aggressive if you look at it from the rear (the finned differential is awesome.)

I will follow up once I have driven some more miles on it and perhaps it will mellow out some more, and will install the new x pipe on it, as well.

I have attached some pictures, and I made a quick video that I posted the link to underneath the pictures. I only revved to about 5000 rpms due to my next door neighbors having a labor day party and didn't want them to be angry.

2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.

Last edited by MikeE92M3; 10-11-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Looks nice, did the tips come with the mufflers?
      09-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Looks nice, did the tips come with the mufflers?
Yes, the whole muffler assembly is what it looks like when you purchase it. I think the tips fit perfectly.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Magnaflows are reasonablly priced and I have run them on other cars..but drone is an issue with them
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

Looks and sounds nice for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Magnaflows are reasonablly priced and I have run them on other cars..but drone is an issue with them
Yeah this is my minor issue right now. Granted, I came from a completely catless, resonator-less Nismo 350z and this is quiet as hell compared to it, but I know the drone is there. I am looking at swapping out the OEM resonators with the Aero AR25 and replacing the X pipe with something more high quality. I think this combination will quiet down the drone to an almost nonexistent amount.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
Yeah this is my minor issue right now. Granted, I came from a completely catless, resonator-less Nismo 350z and this is quiet as hell compared to it, but I know the drone is there. I am looking at swapping out the OEM resonators with the Aero AR25 and replacing the X pipe with something more high quality. I think this combination will quiet down the drone to an almost nonexistent amount.
And By X pipe I mean replacing it with the Magnaflow 10791 Part. The opening is at least a half an inch greater than the oem one, which is seemingly crushed. The guy who owns the muffler shop by me is a relative of the Hendricks Motorsports team and he says while the stock set up is great, the X pipe is shitty. It's a simply 60 dollar fix that will hopefully clear it all out. I've invested only $375 overall in getting the secondary cats taken out and replaced with straight pipes, and the mufflers bought/installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Sounds a lot different to the full cat-back system. The full cat back system is much deeper in tone. The full system has a pretty loud drone at cruising speed (2500 - 3500 in 6MT). I took mine off after a few months. I keep meaning to sell it!
      09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Sounds a lot different to the full cat-back system. The full cat back system is much deeper in tone. The full system has a pretty loud drone at cruising speed (2500 - 3500 in 6MT). I took mine off after a few months. I keep meaning to sell it!
That's exactly where I have the drone too. If I go into a lower gear and go above 4k RPMS, its gone and its all normal sound to me. Must be just the "nature" of these mufflers. Hmm.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
And By X pipe I mean replacing it with the Magnaflow 10791 Part. The opening is at least a half an inch greater than the oem one, which is seemingly crushed. The guy who owns the muffler shop by me is a relative of the Hendricks Motorsports team and he says while the stock set up is great, the X pipe is shitty. It's a simply 60 dollar fix that will hopefully clear it all out. I've invested only $375 overall in getting the secondary cats taken out and replaced with straight pipes, and the mufflers bought/installed.
Hey I work there too.
      09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly where I have the drone too. If I go into a lower gear and go above 4k RPMS, its gone and its all normal sound to me. Must be just the "nature" of these mufflers. Hmm.
Its what you get when you use a "generic" straight through muffler that isnt designed specifically for the vehicle..there is a reason why they are so cheap..

Dont get me wrong, I run Magnaflows on other cars and they are a good option but compared to other systems specific to the M3 that cost an arm and a leg you are not going to get the same forgiveness with drone, rasp ect
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Its what you get when you use a "generic" straight through muffler that isnt designed specifically for the vehicle..there is a reason why they are so cheap..

Dont get me wrong, I run Magnaflows on other cars and they are a good option but compared to other systems specific to the M3 that cost an arm and a leg you are not going to get the same forgiveness with drone, rasp ect
I understand that, but many exhaust companies, not just for the M3 or BMW in general, but many companies use off the shelf mufflers and resonators that are readily available, make some nice bends and welding for the steel pipes, and stamp on their logos. I'm not saying I am trying to be cheap, but when it comes to something that simply involves some metal tubing and canisters, especially under the car, the differences between Exhaust A and B is simply the design or aesthetics. I have seen firsthand companies (when I had my Nismo, 335i, and other cars), that they all use what is available and tweak it. The magnaflow mufflers I have are virtually 97% similar to their full catback system, and yet the only difference is that, nothing. Many tuner companies don't create mufflers--they simply use what they can find from people who will make it for them, and chances are, they make them for a lottttttt of difference applications.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

And nonethless, my previous car, a 2008 Nismo Z, was by far the most awesome sounding vehicle I have ever heard, and I used off the shelf parts--I used generic test pipes, a magnaflow x pipe, and HKS mufflers with the stock Nismo Tips. Saved about 3k from an aftermarket exhaust and it sounded 100 times better. It droned a little bit (the interiors of the Z33 Z's are thin plastic), but that thing sounded fawking nasty using what I already had available. And it looked damn good too!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

How good would you say these are for daily driving in Virginia...where cops ticket you for breathing?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
How good would you say these are for daily driving in Virginia...where cops ticket you for breathing?
Haha ain't that the truth! From what I noticed, when I am cruising on the highway, they don't attract any attention at all, which leads me to believe that they are just as quiet as stock minus the slight drone in the cabin. When I am cruising around town or taking off from a stop, people casually look over--but its more of like a "checking it out" look over as opposed to a .
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

sorry to say but most mufflers are not made for the m3. they are generic mufflers used on our setup tailored to fit.

OP you read my mind; thanks for doing this first. I have had a bunch of setups and right now am running a Gintani Race, but have been eyeing these 14816 for a while. They look much better than the 815 single wall. I'm gonna order a set now and weld em up!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
m3an
Banned
Rep

most mufflers drone too; my $2,200 gintani drones AWFUL; much worse then the set of straight pipes I had made up which are just 20" lenght of 2.5" pipe.. go figure
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
sorry to say but most mufflers are not made for the m3. they are generic mufflers used on our setup tailored to fit.
They are almost certainly tested and setup for that specific cars engine note, along with the piping and bends..its akin to tuning a musical instrument....

The internal construction of the mufflers is what limits drone anyways ..as I said I run Magnaflows on my daily .. it drones..but I dont really care..would I want that on my M3?..probably not.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
your original post doesn't say that, did you replace the 2nd set of cats w/ staight pipes in the vid or is that mufflers only?

edit: nm see it now

Last edited by m3an; 09-04-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
They are almost certainly tested and setup for that specific cars engine note, along with the piping and bends..its akin to tuning a musical instrument....

The internal construction of the mufflers is what limits drone anyways ..as I said I run Magnaflows on my daily .. it drones..but I dont really care..would I want that on my M3?..probably not.
I'm sorry but maybe on some cars this is true, but for a majority they are using off the shelf stuff. Look at Flowmaster catbacks; they have applications for lots of vehicles but the 40 series muffler is the same.. Same w/ most Magnaflow setups and I am almost positive the Gintani setup is just a regular Sebring muffler. Like I said, for some cars this may be true; I know that Dinan is, as well as most OEM mufflers, but for the majority a muffler is a muffler; the pipes are unique
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Here is a fix that might interest you. You can T off a connection before the mufflers and weld in a resonator and then weld it shut. It should eliminate almost all of the drone. Since a T connection will not flow much exhaust gas it should not limit flow.

Like this pic. HKS did this to the 350Z

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
your original post doesn't say that, did you replace the 2nd set of cats w/ staight pipes in the vid or is that mufflers only?

edit: nm see it now
Sorry for the confusion, if any. I had the secondary cats taken out awhile ago. Here is a picture for reference, to show you how it was done (pretty basic):

Appreciate 0