BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #111
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How/where are you guys grounding an aftermarket reverse camera? I've purchased the Amazon-based unit in the original post.
I ran a wire down to the bolt that holds the battery tie down to the chassis.
You mention an extension cable/wire for the ground - did you have to grab wire in addition to what is typically supplied with an aftermarket camera kit? If so, specs on said wire? Making sure I have as much info as possible and all the correct materials before tearing the car apart this week.
Yes, I just used some cheap 22 gauge wire I had laying around. It's low voltage you shouldn't need anything fancy. Just get it to touch something metal and unpainted for best results.
I'll be sure to have some on hand. Another question (I'm sure it won't be the last): are trigger wires needed with the Carsara unit? Don't see a trigger wire coming from the Carsara.

Here are the backup camera instructions and the RCA cable with built in trigger wires (again, from Amazon)
If you have a DCT, The red wire on one end of your RCA will connect to the yellow wire for 12v and trigger. The other end will connect to the red power wire on the camera end. The black wire goes to a ground.
noremaC241.50
      01-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #112
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrics View Post
Yes, thank you I thought this too. The instructions say 3,4 & 7. I noted Cyberdemon reply 3,4 in a reply earlier in the thread so I changed to that - no difference at all. Odd that switching 7 made no difference either way??

Something defo not right somewhere.
I'm sure you have these but here are dip switch settings in the instructions they sent; looks like it should be #4,#7 (with #3 off) for CIC 6.5".

Last edited by noremaC; 01-19-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #113
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have a DCT, The red wire on one end of your RCA will connect to the yellow wire for 12v and trigger. The other end will connect to the red power wire on the camera end. The black wire goes to a ground.
For clarification, this yellow wire coming from the Carsara unit?

01-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #114
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Have you tried sticking a meter to the output of the relay to see if you're getting a stable voltage?

Where are you grounding to?
Grounding to a taillight bolt which seems to provide a good ground. I’ll swap to the battery bolt. I used two different relays, the relay trips (you can hear the click) and voltage remains stable. So the camera is running but the rca signal is getting disrupted (maybe a pinch somewhere or the where the Carsara purple trigger wire connects to the red wire from the RCA) where the voltage is intermittent. Waiting on the voltage rectifier to install.

This is turning into a PIA.

Funny thing today, my phone would only connect to airplay (not CarPlay). Airplay works very well and I actually used it for a 40 minute drive. This is comical stuff. I reset everything to get back into CarPlay.

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-20-2021 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #115
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure you have these but here are dip switch settings in the instructions they sent; looks like it should be #4,#7 (with #3 off) for CIC 6.5".

I noticed these instructions are different from mine, so if you buy a unit currently it's possible they've done another software or firmware revision since then.
      01-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #116
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Grounding to a taillight bolt which seems to provide a good ground. I’ll swap to the battery bolt. I used two different relays, the relay trips (you can hear the click) and voltage remains stable. So the camera is running but the rca signal is getting disrupted (maybe a pinch somewhere or the Carsara trigger wire (rca red wire that connects to the purple wire) where the voltage is intermittent. Waiting on the voltage rectifier to install.

This is turning into a PIA.

Funny thing today, my phone would only connect to airplay (not CarPlay). Airplay works very well and I actually used it for a 40 minute drive. This is comical stuff. I reset everything to get back into CarPlay.
Sorry to hear, the Airplay/Carplay switching does seem bad - I partially think the iPhone just doesn't like doing this because it's using the same SSID for both. When it sees that SSID it defaults to one or the other. In my case I actually found it easier just to use my Android device for Mirroring if I want to watch a movie and my iPhone for Carplay since my Android device is my work phone and I don't pay for bandwidth.

One suggestion, if you think the red wire with your RCA is causing problems, you could try just routing a wire straight through the interior (don't bother burying it yet) and see if connecting it that way solves it.
      01-20-2021, 07:25 AM   #117
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
For clarification, this yellow wire coming from the Carsara unit?

Yes, when you get the unit you'll see it's labelled reverse camera 12v.
noremaC241.50
      01-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #118
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/R3Wbwz9/dip-switch.png[/IMG]
I noticed these instructions are different from mine, so if you buy a unit currently it's possible they've done another software or firmware revision since then.
For other's reference, these are instructions from a Carsara unit purchased 1/6/2021
      01-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #119
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Carsara dip switch settings

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/R3Wbwz9/dip-switch.png[/IMG]
For other's reference, these are instructions from a Carsara unit purchased 1/6/2021
These are the instructions that were emailed to me from Carsara when I purchased it in August 2020. These worked for my 2013 e93 M3 on first try as described in these instructions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #120
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How/where are you guys grounding an aftermarket reverse camera? I've purchased the Amazon-based unit in the original post.
I ran a wire down to the bolt that holds the battery tie down to the chassis.
You mention an extension cable/wire for the ground - did you have to grab wire in addition to what is typically supplied with an aftermarket camera kit? If so, specs on said wire? Making sure I have as much info as possible and all the correct materials before tearing the car apart this week.
Yes, I just used some cheap 22 gauge wire I had laying around. It's low voltage you shouldn't need anything fancy. Just get it to touch something metal and unpainted for best results.
I'll be sure to have some on hand. Another question (I'm sure it won't be the last): are trigger wires needed with the Carsara unit? Don't see a trigger wire coming from the Carsara.

Here are the backup camera instructions and the RCA cable with built in trigger wires (again, from Amazon)
22 gauge is super thin. I used some 16 gauge I had to match what the relay harness used. 14-16 gauge would be my suggestion.

The purple wire you are connecting to from the Carsara harness is the signal wire. When you apply 12v from the reverse lights, it tells the Carsara to switch to the backup camera input. The yellow wire is not used if you have a 6MT, and if you have DCT then you shouldn't need to run a relay in the first place.
      01-20-2021, 03:14 PM   #121
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
22 gauge is super thin. I used some 16 gauge I had to match what the relay harness used. 14-16 gauge would be my suggestion.

The purple wire you are connecting to from the Carsara harness is the signal wire. When you apply 12v from the reverse lights, it tells the Carsara to switch to the backup camera input. The yellow wire is not used if you have a 6MT, and if you have DCT then you shouldn't need to run a relay in the first place.
***This is for DCT***

I picked up some 16ga wire + heat shrink tubing + various ring terminals for the camera portion of this installation.

Here are the "camera" wire options that come out of the harness from the Carsara unit (pictures attached):
  • Yellow = 12V Reverse Camera Out
  • Purple = BACK/Revise Detect
  • Red = 12V ACC Out
  • Black = GND (Ground)
  • RCA #1 = Front Camera
  • RCA #2 = Reverse Camera
  • USB

Now with the reverse camera kit wire that runs from the trunk to the headunit (Carsara), it only contains the yellow RCA and red wire (presumably 12V power). There are no other wires for "detect".

So it's looks like the wire connection mapping is as follows:
  1. Yellow RCA (Camera Kit) into Yellow RCA (Carsara harness)
  2. Red Wire (Camera Kit) into Yellow Wire (Carsara harness)

The rest of the above wires are unused.
  • Am I missing something?
  • I don't see anything to connect to Carsara Purple "Detect" wire - how will Carsara know when the car is in reverse then? Perhaps this is for 6MT only?
  • What about the ground (black) wire from the Carsara harness? No need to use, right?
Attached Images

Last edited by noremaC; 01-20-2021 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #122
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
***This is for DCT***

I picked up some 16ga wire + heat shrink tubing + various ring terminals for the camera portion of this installation.

Here are the "camera" wire options that come out of the harness from the Carsara unit (pictures attached):
  • Red = 12V ACC Out
  • Black = GND (Ground)
  • RCA #1 = Front Camera
  • USB

Now with the reverse camera kit wire that runs from the trunk to the headunit (Carsara), it only contains the yellow RCA and red wire (presumably 12V power). There are no other wires for "detect".

• I don't see anything to connect to Carsara Purple "Detect" wire - how will Carsara know when the car is in reverse then? Perhaps this is for 6MT only?
  • What about the ground (black) wire from the Carsara harness? No need to use, right?
You're not missing anything, this is correct. The car will detect the camera/reverse from the Canbus and apply voltage when needed for the DCT. I didn't touch any of the other wires, they are designed for other accessories. I also didn't ground the box specifically, I assume you only need that if an accessory requires it's own ground.

You just need to make sure to change the settings in the setup per my original instructions.
      01-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #123
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

***This is for DCT***

• Red = 12V ACC Out
  • Black = GND (Ground)
  • RCA #1 = Front Camera
  • USB

This is directly from the Carsara instructions in regards to auto vs manual camera wiring (purple vs yellow wire). For you 6MT guys, note that a relay is not shown, but it IS required.
Attached Images

01-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #124
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Something I want to confirm & an issue I've run into installing the camera. Hope I'm not polluting the thread too much and that it adds value for others looking to DIY.

The metal bar that holds the battery in place/down (picture attached) - did you remove the bolt and run a ring terminal underneath the bar itself? Want to get the best ground contact possible.

Attempting to remove the passenger side carpet I've run into a snag trying to unscrew/remove the security screw securing this metal hook - I literally can't get it to loosen and it's in a super awkward place where I can't get leverage. I believe I need to remove it to get enough room behind the carpet to run the camera RCA/power wire combo into the cabin. I already removed the three push clips that hold in most of the carpet piece. Any tips on routing wire with this intact or loosening the screw?
Attached Images

01-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #125
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Something I want to confirm & an issue I've run into installing the camera. Hope I'm not polluting the thread too much and that it adds value for others looking to DIY.

The metal bar that holds the battery in place/down (picture attached) - did you remove the bolt and run a ring terminal underneath the bar itself? Want to get the best ground contact possible.

Attempting to remove the passenger side carpet I've run into a snag trying to unscrew/remove the security screw securing this metal hook - I literally can't get it to loosen and it's in a super awkward place where I can't get leverage. I believe I need to remove it to get enough room behind the carpet to run the camera RCA/power wire combo into the cabin. I already removed the three push clips that hold in most of the carpet piece. Any tips on routing wire with this intact or loosening the screw?
That torx bolt should come out without any trouble. I think I used a 1/4" socket wrench so it didn't require much leverage to loosen. Are you using a torx screwdriver or a wrench?

Grounding to the battery bracket didn't seem like an ideal solution to me. If you want the best ground possible, use the chassis ground that the battery connects to. Plus, more of the wiring is hidden behind the trunk liner this way so it's a slightly cleaner install.
      01-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #126
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That torx bolt should come out without any trouble. I think I used a 1/4" socket wrench so it didn't require much leverage to loosen. Are you using a torx screwdriver or a wrench?

Grounding to the battery bracket didn't seem like an ideal solution to me. If you want the best ground possible, use the chassis ground that the battery connects to. Plus, more or the wiring is hidden behind the trunk liner this way so it's a slightly cleaner install.
Wrench/ratchet - that SOB isn't coming loose. May need to get a breaker bar.
      01-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #127
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wrench/ratchet - that SOB isn't coming loose. May need to get a breaker bar.
Do you even need to remove that latch? When routing from the trunk to the front of the car I don't think I needed to really remove the carpet at all, I just pryed it back, fed it through til it reached near the back seat and then ran it underneath. As long as it was behind the carpet it was fine.

As far as ground source, it shouldn't really matter too much - ground where it makes you happy - if you want to do a ring connector and 12 gauge wire more power to you (some pun intended) It's a $28 low voltage camera, so I just used what I had on hand. Didn't feel like spending $10 on a kit of wire connectors I probably wouldn't use again any time soon. And since I just changed the battery I expect that I'll never touch those bolts ever again.
noremaC241.50
      01-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #128
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you even need to remove that latch? When routing from the trunk to the front of the car I don't think I needed to really remove the carpet at all, I just pryed it back, fed it through til it reached near the back seat and then ran it underneath. As long as it was behind the carpet it was fine.

As far as ground source, it shouldn't really matter too much - ground where it makes you happy - if you want to do a ring connector and 12 gauge wire more power to you (some pun intended) It's a $28 low voltage camera, so I just used what I had on hand. Didn't feel like spending $10 on a kit of wire connectors I probably wouldn't use again any time soon. And since I just changed the battery I expect that I'll never touch those bolts ever again.
The more I look at it, that's what I'm thinking as well. I'll see if I can tuck the wire behind the carpet/liner and see if it is accessible from inside the cabin.
      01-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #129
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The more I look at it, that's what I'm thinking as well. I'll see if I can tuck the wire behind the carpet/liner and see if it is accessible from inside the cabin.
I have fold down rear seats, you should be able to tuck it under and then route it behind where the seats fold down underneath the rear seat side bolster. From there just drop it through the carpet and you shouldn't be able to see it. You can just slide it and feed it.
      01-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #130
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have fold down rear seats, you should be able to tuck it under and then route it behind where the seats fold down underneath the rear seat side bolster. From there just drop it through the carpet and you shouldn't be able to see it. You can just slide it and feed it.
Fixed seats - makes it a little trickier. Need to remove the seat bottom and loosen the seat back via two T-45 bolts in the bottom middle to get some play to allow the wire to feed through.
      01-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #131
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Sorry to hear, the Airplay/Carplay switching does seem bad - I partially think the iPhone just doesn't like doing this because it's using the same SSID for both. When it sees that SSID it defaults to one or the other. In my case I actually found it easier just to use my Android device for Mirroring if I want to watch a movie and my iPhone for Carplay since my Android device is my work phone and I don't pay for bandwidth.

One suggestion, if you think the red wire with your RCA is causing problems, you could try just routing a wire straight through the interior (don't bother burying it yet) and see if connecting it that way solves it.

Eureka!

Camera issue solved. 6MT cars may require a quality relay which sends the relay output (red wire #87) output through a 12V voltage rectifier. See the picture below. The blue box with the “R” is the relay that feeds the the voltage rectifier which then feeds the camera. I went with the greenyi voltage rectifier paired with the greenyi camera link

Next add on is a manual override switch to power on the camera manually (reverse not required). I’ll post pics shortly.

Relay —-> voltage rectifier —-> backup camera.

I am running several accessories including a radar detector, 500/1 amp, clean sweep and V3 LED angel eyes, so the system is far from stock voltage demands and may have contributed to the voltage issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-21-2021 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #132
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Got everything plugged in, fired up and get a red-ish screen. I did not connect anything to the iDrive controller - assuming quadralock would pick it up. Is this not the case (maybe I misunderstood your comment @cyberdemon)? There were a bunch of "can" connectors that I left unconnected (Connect A#, Connect B# and Connect L#). I also removed the cable that says iDrive on one end and C# iDrive CAN/CiC-KT-v2 on the other because I wasn't plugging into anything and it would take up room. I wouldn't think if I left it plugged in it would change anything as it's not plugging into the iDrive controller itself.

When Carsara emailed me the attached instructions, they gave 3 connect options (see screenshot below for Connect A#, Connect B#, Connect L#).

The "red screen of death" has me thinking it's a video connection issue. Not sure where I went wrong.

I also tried multiple combinations of dip switches:
4,7 etc.

Is our CIC screen 6.5" or 8.8"? I assume 8.8"
Attached Images

Last edited by noremaC; 01-21-2021 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0