BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #23
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The 5mm spacers may not leave enough hub. Measure carefully.
I have wheel studs so it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I would've went with 12mm all around.
It is not about studs, on hub centric system, you need enough hub for the wheel to sit on.

According to my measurements, a 3mm spacer still leaves about the same hub support as no spacer because it only reduce the amount of tapering the hub has for convenience.

The 5mm actually take away support. Ok for a show car, but I concluded that it won't be enough for a track car.

YMMV
Very interesting, well in that case it might be prudent that I run 12mm spacers all around. I just worry about fitment issues considering I plan on running a 275/35 tire in the front.

Damn KW Clubsports! Wish they didn't have this silly fitment issue.

I wonder how BMW was able to successfully & safely use a 5mm spacer on the GTS, among other factory track prep'd cars.
Or just swap to a shorter front spring and you won't need spacers!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have wheel studs so it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I would've went with 12mm all around.
It is not about studs, on hub centric system, you need enough hub for the wheel to sit on.

According to my measurements, a 3mm spacer still leaves about the same hub support as no spacer because it only reduce the amount of tapering the hub has for convenience.

The 5mm actually take away support. Ok for a show car, but I concluded that it won't be enough for a track car.

YMMV
Very interesting, well in that case it might be prudent that I run 12mm spacers all around. I just worry about fitment issues considering I plan on running a 275/35 tire in the front.

I wonder how BMW was able to successfully & safely use a 5mm spacer on the GTS, among other factory track prep'd cars.
Turns out I already have Eibach 140-60-0090 springs up front! Major props to the previous owner. Current plan is to not run spacers at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #25
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:

What most likely is, that some wheels do not have heavily chamfered edges on hub allowing for more edge to grab onto the hub. It will definitely vary depending on the wheel.
That makes a lot of sense - good thinking.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #26
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV

Turns out I already have Eibach 140-60-0090 springs up front! Major props to the previous owner. Current plan is to not run spacers at all.
Awesome that's good news!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      08-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #27
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Hey! great spec and loving the thorough build up. I have a similar e90, albeit not a slicktop (yet) and working through restoration/upgrading. Great machines.

Where about in SoCal are you? (or where will you be?)
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      08-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #28
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitriyo View Post
Hey! great spec and loving the thorough build up. I have a similar e90, albeit not a slicktop (yet) and working through restoration/upgrading. Great machines.

Where about in SoCal are you? (or where will you be?)
Thank you so much! Means a lot coming from you. I've been following your build on the forums and more recently on instagram very closely! I was super happy to see another car like mine with higher miles being built to such a high level...gives me hope. Great machines indeed.

I'm moving to Whittier as soon as I can, COVID slowing things down. I've been driving back and forth to Irvine to have work done on my car in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #29
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Thank you so much! Means a lot coming from you. I've been following your build on the forums and more recently on instagram very closely! I was super happy to see another car like mine with higher miles being built to such a high level...gives me hope. Great machines indeed.

I'm moving to Whittier as soon as I can, COVID slowing things down. I've been driving back and forth to Irvine to have work done on my car in the meantime.
Thanks for the kind words. Im in Huntington Beach during the week and live in SilverLake/Echo Park. Lets get together some time, compare notes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #30
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitriyo View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Im in Huntington Beach during the week and live in SilverLake/Echo Park. Lets get together some time, compare notes.
Right on, let's do.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #31
911r
Captain
Rep

Just picked up my car from MRF, and took it for a drive up Angeles Crest. It's feels like an entirely different car -- I'm still yet to fully realize the car's handling capabilities. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is the new wheels / tires (275/35 R888Rs), or the new suspension goodies (swaybars, end-links, solid rear subframe bushings, monoball front tension arm bushings)...most likely a combination of the two.

Pictures of my old rod bearings will be posted as soon as I receive them.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #32
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

It's most likely the suspension bits
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:31 PM   #33
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
After driving the car more, that's what I'm starting to think. Now I'm looking at Recaros because of how much mechanical grip the car has...I have to hold onto the steering wheel for dear life.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:33 AM   #34
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
After driving the car more, that's what I'm starting to think. Now I'm looking at Recaros because of how much mechanical grip the car has...I have to hold onto the steering wheel for dear life.
Recaro sportsters from amx performance is the best solution for this. You can even retain heat and airbags too!

https://instagram.com/amx_performance
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      08-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #35
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

BTW 911r The dead pedal works wonders as a place to use your legs to brace your torso into the seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #36
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
BTW 911r The dead pedal works wonders as a place to use your legs to brace your torso into the seat.
Very good to know! Will try this out tonight. It'll have to do until I can get those Recaros — AMX is a great suggestion; might have to commission some speed cloth Sportsters.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #37
911r
Captain
Rep

Today marked 1,000 miles since I got my rod bearings done, so I took my car into the dealership for an oil-change (as my jack & raceramps wouldn't clear..). An oil-change alone cost me $300, I definitely won't miss taking my car there once I move. I also picked up a part I ordered a while ago: a new a-pillar cloth/cover. My old one was torn near the bottom, and had holes in it.

A pretty small issue, but annoying to look at nevertheless.

After about 30 minutes, I was finally able to get the new piece in. I also managed to crack my windshield on my drive back home from LA. Still debating whether I should go OEM or Safelite.

While I had my T-20 Torx bit out I also figured I'd install the new steering wheel trim I got a few months back. Took another 30 minutes, but it was well worth it.

New vs. old

My steering wheel itself still shows signs of wear, but it will have to do until I can source an OEM M-Performance Alcantara wheel (currently on backorder).

Next on the agenda is to have my seats, and door panels steam cleaned. Although I love speed cloth, it can be a pain to keep clean. Several of my interior trim pieces are also starting to show wear (cubby and window switches on drivers side door panel, center console trim, etc.), so I will begin to source, and replace all of those pieces.
Appreciate 3
      09-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #38
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Whichever way you go with the windshield, be sure to ask about the climate comfort windshield.
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      09-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #39
911r
Captain
Rep

Finally got my new tires! I decided on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (275/35s). I'm still not totally sold on the ARC8s, but I figure I can always transfer over the tires if I decide on another set of wheels.

Next up on the agenda is replacing a couple more trim pieces in the interior, installing more spherical/SPL goodies, new brakes/BBK, and a CF driveshaft (currently waiting for the GB to play out). The car is about to cross 103,000 miles (which marks about 8,000 miles from when I purchased it) and it feels amazing, apart from a small vibration in the steering wheel over 80mph, and a clunk from the rear end whenever going over bumps (solid rear subframe bushings?). Hoping new tires solve my vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #40
911r
Captain
Rep

Reminiscing on when my car used to have TEs and a Super Sprint exhaust

Thinking I should go back
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #41
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Wait...do I have your Supersprint F1 Race exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:11 AM   #42
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha..did you buy it from a gentleman in SoCal? If so then the odds are extremely probable. I regret letting it slip through my hands...impossible to come by.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #43
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha..did you buy it from a gentleman in SoCal? If so then the odds are extremely probable. I regret letting it slip through my hands...impossible to come by.
I bought it from Dang, DanMpower. He said he got it used so just being an e90 f1 race makes it highly probably.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:42 AM   #44
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I bought it from Dang, DanMpower. He said he got it used so just being an e90 f1 race makes it highly probably.
Yeah, extremely likely. Glad it went to a good home! Will gladly take it off your hands E90 M3 exhaust market is so touch and go ahah
Appreciate 0