BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

04-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #67
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
I had thought it wouldn't reach either until yesterday.

I had to relocate the USB access cord to come out in the passenger footwell beneath the shifter between the seat and the transmission tunnel, but it fits there fine and the ACP module is behind the fuse box door in the glove box.
You must have a longer LVDS cable than me. That's really whats keeping me from moving it further from where it is.
      04-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #68
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Quote:
I had thought it wouldn't reach either until yesterday.

I had to relocate the USB access cord to come out in the passenger footwell beneath the shifter between the seat and the transmission tunnel, but it fits there fine and the ACP module is behind the fuse box door in the glove box.
You must have a longer LVDS cable than me. That's really whats keeping me from moving it further from where it is.
It's very tight in getting the cables over there, but who knows.

Used ACP this morning and for the 30 minute drive, it functioned great.

We'll see. It's been two days and still no response from JoyeAuto
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #69
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Cool good to hear it's working better. Just wondering, how are you contacting them?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #70
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cool good to hear it's working better. Just wondering, how are you contacting them?
At this point, I've emailed, iMessaged and WhatsApp the same message. 🤦🏻
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #71
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

So I got a response from JoyeAuto and basically what they told me was I have their "older" CIC device and the one you have, without the Quad Lock, is the newer device.

Currently trying to see if they'll exchange it, but I am very doubtful.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #72
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

A bit of an update here:

I grew tired of waiting for JoyeAuto to respond, so I reached out to AliExpress customer service and sent screen shots of JoyeAuto offering to exchange my device multiple times but not following through and within 24 hours I got a response ensuring that AliExpress will honor the exchange and now have received a message from JoyeAuto that they will exchange the device.

So I will mail the unit back and once they receive it, they will send me a new unit! 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

Now I just hope they send the updated unit that doesn't use quad lock. Hoping for the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #73
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A bit of an update here:

I grew tired of waiting for JoyeAuto to respond, so I reached out to AliExpress customer service and sent screen shots of JoyeAuto offering to exchange my device multiple times but not following through and within 24 hours I got a response ensuring that AliExpress will honor the exchange and now have received a message from JoyeAuto that they will exchange the device.

So I will mail the unit back and once they receive it, they will send me a new unit! 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

Now I just hope they send the updated unit that doesn't use quad lock. Hoping for the best.
Good luck. Keep us updated and let us know how they handle the situation. This has me worried that in the future if supported is needed, they won't follow through.

I also have low confidence that if a software update is needed, they won't support this. Hope iOS updates won't mess this setup up.
      04-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #74
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A bit of an update here:

Good luck. Keep us updated and let us know how they handle the situation. This has me worried that in the future if supported is needed, they won't follow through.

I also have low confidence that if a software update is needed, they won't support this. Hope iOS updates won't mess this setup up.
JoyeAuto sent me a software update file, but it didn't change anything as far as the function of my unit.

Have you been using yours? Mine is always malfunctioning. Just Sunday the iDrive controller stopped working. Had to disconnect the ACP unit completely from the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #75
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
JoyeAuto sent me a software update file, but it didn't change anything as far as the function of my unit.

Have you been using yours? Mine is always malfunctioning. Just Sunday the iDrive controller stopped working. Had to disconnect the ACP unit completely from the iDrive.
I've been using this everyday. Everything works well. Right now I only have Waze installed and GPS accuracy has improved greatly. I still think carplay doesn't like multiple GPS apps installed at the same time. In a few weeks I'll uninstall Waze and try Google Maps only.
      04-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #76
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've been using this everyday. Everything works well. Right now I only have Waze installed and GPS accuracy has improved greatly. I still think carplay doesn't like multiple GPS apps installed at the same time. In a few weeks I'll uninstall Waze and try Google Maps only.
That's good to hear. I hope I get the updated unit that doesn't involve QuadLock
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #77
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Audio through AUX seems ok. I think most people will be fine with the quality. Me personally, I might try to add an inline USB headphone amp to see if audio quality can be better. Otherwise it works just fine and not a big deal.
Curious if you've had a chance to try the inline headphone amp and whether it makes any difference in sound quality? I've also read that it's best to keep the phone volume turned down to about 50% and use the car's volume control to adjust from there.
      04-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #78
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Curious if you've had a chance to try the inline headphone amp and whether it makes any difference in sound quality? I've also read that it's best to keep the phone volume turned down to about 50% and use the car's volume control to adjust from there.
Unfortunately I haven't bought a headphone amp yet. But the volume thing is true. You can have the volume on your phone all the way up but you need to keep the volume in your AUX screen on the CIC system at like 50%. Then you can use the volume knob to adjust. If you set the volume higher on the CIC AUX screen you'll get static and distortion.
      04-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #79
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't bought a headphone amp yet. But the volume thing is true. You can have the volume on your phone all the way up but you need to keep the volume in your AUX screen on the CIC system at like 50%. Then you can use the volume knob to adjust. If you set the volume higher on the CIC AUX screen you'll get static and distortion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I usually like to keep the gain on the phone to the max as the lows seem to be muffled if you keep it lower.

Quote:
That is interesting. My daily driver 2017 Civic hatch has an OE honda headunit running android 4.2.2 but it plays nice with all 3 GPS (Google, Waze, Apple) running at once. It only shows the last used one on the side dock area but they are all running fine.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #80
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I usually like to keep the gain on the phone to the max as the lows seem to be muffled if you keep it lower.

That is interesting. My daily driver 2017 Civic hatch has an OE honda headunit running android 4.2.2 but it plays nice with all 3 GPS (Google, Waze, Apple) running at once. It only shows the last used one on the side dock area but they are all running fine.
Yeah. I have the same Honda system in my 2018 CRV and multiple gps apps works fine on it. So something is funky with the box then. Oh well, I can only use one app at a time anyway.
      04-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #81
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. I have the same Honda system in my 2018 CRV and multiple gps apps works fine on it. So something is funky with the box then. Oh well, I can only use one app at a time anyway.
Agreed! That is very strange that multiple GPS apps would play a role in it. Even if the app is not using GPS, it causes havoc?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #82
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Agreed! That is very strange that multiple GPS apps would play a role in it. Even if the app is not using GPS, it causes havoc?
I know the way I'm testing it is not exactly scientific. But it is noticeable.

In one instance, Waze was putting my location all over the place and kept trying to reroute me because it thought I made a wrong turn. I pulled over, uninstalled Google Maps, started driving the route I was on and within a few minutes everything was good again. And this is with my phone having full reception.

It's like clockwork, as soon as I uninstall one gps app. The other one starts working more accurate and doesn't freak out.
      04-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #83
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

Howdy all,
New e90 owner here so apologies if my questions are n00b.
I have a 2005 which came with:
S601A TV Function
S609A Navigation System Professional
S620A Voice Control
S644A Preparation F Mobile Phone W Bluetooth
S672A CD Changer For 6 CDs

It has since been upgraded with what I believe is a CIC from 2011, so it has the wider, increased DPI screen and the 7 button controller.
I don't have a USB port in the arm rest, but do have one in the glove box.
My question is simply, if I order one of these Carplay/Android Auto boxes, will the USB port in the glove box work for connecting the phone or do I need to retrofit the USB port in the arm rest?
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #84
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I know the way I'm testing it is not exactly scientific. But it is noticeable.

In one instance, Waze was putting my location all over the place and kept trying to reroute me because it thought I made a wrong turn. I pulled over, uninstalled Google Maps, started driving the route I was on and within a few minutes everything was good again. And this is with my phone having full reception.

It's like clockwork, as soon as I uninstall one gps app. The other one starts working more accurate and doesn't freak out.
Very interesting! I guess I'll have to wait till dkmcclelland gets his new unit and see how it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #85
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstar View Post
Howdy all,
New e90 owner here so apologies if my questions are n00b.
I have a 2005 which came with:
S601A TV Function
S609A Navigation System Professional
S620A Voice Control
S644A Preparation F Mobile Phone W Bluetooth
S672A CD Changer For 6 CDs

It has since been upgraded with what I believe is a CIC from 2011, so it has the wider, increased DPI screen and the 7 button controller.
I don't have a USB port in the arm rest, but do have one in the glove box.
My question is simply, if I order one of these Carplay/Android Auto boxes, will the USB port in the glove box work for connecting the phone or do I need to retrofit the USB port in the arm rest?
Thanks in advance,
Tim
With this box and similar Chinese products, you don't connect your phone to the OEM BMW USB ports in your car. The box has a harness with a USB cable coming out of it. You connect your phone to this USB port. So the fact that you don't have a USB port in your arm rest is fine.

What you absolutely need is the AUX port in the arm rest area. I don't know where it is on an E90. I assume it's mounted in the same arm rest storage area.
      04-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #86
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

Quote:
With this box and similar Chinese products, you don't connect your phone to the OEM BMW USB ports in your car. The box has a harness with a USB cable coming out of it. You connect your phone to this USB port. So the fact that you don't have a USB port in your arm rest is fine.

What you absolutely need is the AUX port in the arm rest area. I don't know where it is on an E90. I assume it's mounted in the same arm rest storage area.
Thanks so much for the reply! That has filled in a missing piece of information!
Yes there is an aux plug in the arm rest so this should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #87
marco.pascucci@hotmail.it
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d

Hi, I bought the joey auto device for my 420d with nbt.
Car play works fine, but I loose some functionalities on my original nbt like hud settings, travel info, date and time, maintenance info, alarm for seatbelt. Joey staff told me to repeat the installation disconnecting the battery, I have just disconnect the battery for a while, but nothing change.
Waiting for joey reply..
Thanks for the answers.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #88
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Very interested in doing this! Has anyone tried this with Android Auto?
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0