BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 JEREZ M3

EDC Malfunction Troubleshooting

Popped a EDC malfunction the other day and shows a 5FE6 - Valve Error front.

I started by checking the EDC sensors on top of the shocks and swapping them with good ones.

Then, I checked swapped out the EDC module for another. Still the same code.

I checked the resistance of the shocks through the top pins and the driver side reads very high compared to a steady value on the passenger side. I assume the drivers is bad? Anything else I should check before I shell out for new shocks? Car has 55k on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

If its the EDC module Id assume you get a code - or even iDrive message for just that - 5FE6 narrow it down to the shock. Usually simple missconnect but as you've checked that, guess not. Resistanse on mine iirc is around 2.4 Ohm on all 4 corners (ZCP whether any difference). If significantly more - or completely open? - seems to be the actual shock.

Ps. Fwiw you could measure the current on the shock (2A/comfort, 1.6A/normal, 0.8A/sport. Minus current swing for the adaptive bit):

Last edited by Helmsman; 08-26-2019 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
WAKman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3, 1985 Porsche 911

Helmsman, where did you plug in the other ends of the test leads?

Thanks

Terry
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKman View Post
Helmsman, where did you plug in the other ends of the test leads?

Thanks

Terry
Maybe I misunderstand your question mate but the ampere meter is connected in series with the damper. Hence, to access the wiring pull apart the plug close to the damper (not taking the damper connector off the top), found a picture here: http://www.billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation

Find some suitable mini connector like this, male and female, to plug into the male/female damper connector. With appropriate size mini connectors they'll sit snug without damaging anything. Not a fancy solution but works great. Even if you're not used to electro it's low risk as there is nothing that can blow up, other than the instrument if set to less than 2 amps, or you shortcut the wires/output stages of the EDC module. You want to AVOID that. Oh, and you obviously need to close the loop with a short wire between the remaining contact in the plugs. ….just realized this is trickier to explain than to do, I'll try to get a picture for you.
Cheers,
Nik
Attached Images

Last edited by Helmsman; 10-11-2019 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

A picture says more than a….. Above mini connector used, male/female for each side of the pulled apart EDC connector. The black wire is mentioned shortcut while the red goes via the amp meter. "Testsystem" may look like sh@t but have proven to work fine. Once prepared you hook (fronts) up in 3 min.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
WAKman413.50
      10-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
WAKman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Excellent! Thank you, sir!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Excellent! Thank you, sir!
No worries, let me know if you have questions mate and I'll try to answer them. Been trying to figure out the EDC system in general should there be some additional wonderings popping up.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
WAKman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
No worries, let me know if you have questions mate and I'll try to answer them. Been trying to figure out the EDC system in general should there be some additional wonderings popping up.

Cheers
I think the EDC system has never been operative since I bought the car. Am I correct that the shocks default to full stiff? I have always like the way the car felt, so I never bothered to figure it out. I tend to get the car set up where I like it and then leave it there. But now I'm curious now and will chase things down.

I've never gotten an EDC error message.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I think the EDC system has never been operative since I bought the car. Am I correct that the shocks default to full stiff? I have always like the way the car felt, so I never bothered to figure it out. I tend to get the car set up where I like it and then leave it there. But now I'm curious now and will chase things down.

I've never gotten an EDC error message.
Pull one of the front connections and you'll force the EDC module to shut down resulting in stone hard on all corners. If you feel no difference, there is no current output from the module. Now that will make for a REALLY hard ride though.
Ps. And that SHOULD give you an iDrive error, that goes away soon as you plug the shock back in.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
STONEDM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

I had same issue coming home from the Dragon. Found out the front passenger edc plug was bad. Make sure all connections are tight. Do a continuity test through the harness.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Ultimatemj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Pull one of the front connections and you'll force the EDC module to shut down resulting in stone hard on all corners.
Hi, I'm curious what "stone hard" means. Is that harder than the EDC "sport" setting?

I'm asking because I need to have my coil over dampers rebuilt and was considering temporarily installing the OE ZCP EDC struts, to be able to drive the car while waiting for the dampers to come back. The EDC module is "coded out"...so they would operate in what ever no signal default mode.

Waste of time? Or that's fine for a couple of weeks?

Thanks for any insights.

'12 E92 M3 ZCP Ruby Black Metallic, BBS E88, Ohlins R/T, Eventuri, Dinan exhaust, Tune +36whp, S752 + JL Audio XD1000/5 & 12w6v3, Dinmann
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatemj View Post
Hi, I'm curious what "stone hard" means. Is that harder than the EDC "sport" setting?

I'm asking because I need to have my coil over dampers rebuilt and was considering temporarily installing the OE ZCP EDC struts, to be able to drive the car while waiting for the dampers to come back. The EDC module is "coded out"...so they would operate in what ever no signal default mode.

Waste of time? Or that's fine for a couple of weeks?

Thanks for any insights.
Yep, unplugging one (or all, same) shock will make them stiffer then in Sport, as in this case no current at all will get to the valve (opening for the damper fluid), while in Sport there is still some (0.8A). Still ok to drive on, put a pillow in your seat and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0