BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

01-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Solid Subframe Mounts - Any Differences?

I keep thinking about solid subframe bushings/mounts based on the rave reviews on the forums. The worst reviews seem to be “not that noticeable,” which, for the cost of parts/labor, would be a shame. But on the other hand, it seems like one of the few no-lose/win-win changes one can do to the car. I am happy with my ZCP suspension with Dinan camber plates and sway bar, and think this could round it out (just a weekend fun car). At 52K there’s not a lot of justification for it from the maintenance side of things, but that could also keep the total bill in check (unless I go down the path of “Oh, carbon driveshaft while you’re in there...”).

Im curious if there’s any difference in the bushings/mounts offered by the various reputable manufacturers. They all look slightly different, but presumably work the exact same. So what gives? Probably few have any experience handling or installing different examples but worth a shot asking if any of them are better (wider footprint/chassis support? easier install?) than others.

Bimmerworld

AKG

Turner

... and of course there’s MRF, MS, etc ...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Do it. It's one of the best mods I've ever done, with no downsides and it makes your chassis feel 1 generation younger. I swapped cars with my friend during a hill drive this past weekend. The first thing he noticed was how much more planted my car was. The first thing I noticed about his car on stock rubber subframe bushings was how unsettled it was in the middle of a turn. If I ever get another M3, solid subframes will be the first thing I do.

All solid subframe bushings should be the same. I've not heard of any of them giving issues. Fwiw, I went with Turner and have no complaints.
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
I have a brand new set of Bimmerworld solid subframe bushings if anyone is interested.
      01-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Still after Victors report?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1633323
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

definitely worth it. i went with Turner. car feels amazing and should have come this way from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

They make a big difference.
      01-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

You may want to consider doing a rear sway bar while youre in there, I ended up getting AKG because I couldn't get a response from MRF. AKG bushings are good, they aren't too hard to slip into the subframe.

I did SF, diff, carbon driveshaft and RSB at the same time plus all the bushings in the rear subframe. The car has become noticeably tighter at the rear. Stock form when the car oversteered it would feel like the car would snap out at the back, its much more controlled and neutral feeling now.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Makes a fantastic difference upgrading to solid.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Victor and SYT Shadow are the 2 people who said it wasn’t really noticeable. And I trust their impressions. But then 100 other people say it’s their favorite mod. Soooo..... maybe everybody else was on a bad alignment before? No idea, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
I don't know about my favorite mod, but the difference is 100% noticeable. The amount of wheel hop on stock bushings is horrifically unacceptable, and if you take your car to the track or have ever hard launched your car there is NO WAY you could not notice.
If your car is a weekend fun car/ daily driver with no intention of ever really being pushed; I don't see a reason to do this mod. Differential whine is a reality, it's not crazy loud, but it's definitely noticeable and the average joe doesn't like hearing mechanical whining from the back of his/her car.

BUT... being someone who snapped a differential bolt at the drag strip (due to the excessively violent wheel hop of the stock rubber bushings) , if you do track/push your car, this mod is not only peace of mind but a VERY significant upgrade/reinforcement of the subframe. Ever since that day, I installed solid aluminum bushings and have never looked back. Wheel hop COMPLETELY eliminated, power goes straight to the ground. Not my favorite mod, but definitely one I couldn't live without. Difference is night and day.
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      01-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Good discussion. Yes, I'm one of the doubters as to the overall benefit of this modification. I also happen to be a logical, sequential guy and try to modify my vehicles to enhance performance ( I figured my bushings would be worn out at the mileage and use I had which is why I replaced the stock ones). My questions
1) If your car feels more planted, stable etc, what was the effect on lap times when all other factors have been held stable?
2) Are there any other objective, measurable improvements you can attribute to the solid sub-frame bushings?

I suspect we are perhaps in a bit of a "I like the sound of this muffler, better than that muffler." Each of us has a preference, and maybe solid bushings "feel better" but I challenge anyone to show me objective data that these are in fact a measurable performance enhancing modification.

It's okay we all like to feel good about changes we make to our cars. I've done the subframe bushings and I drive my car almost every day except weekends (those are the track days), I'm happy with the change, but it's a big investment in labor for something that might not have effect on anything other than "feel."
Appreciate 2
//steve\\1074.00
rhyary1563.00
      01-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Good discussion. Yes, I'm one of the doubters as to the overall benefit of this modification. I also happen to be a logical, sequential guy and try to modify my vehicles to enhance performance ( I figured my bushings would be worn out at the mileage and use I had which is why I replaced the stock ones). My questions
1) If your car feels more planted, stable etc, what was the effect on lap times when all other factors have been held stable?
2) Are there any other objective, measurable improvements you can attribute to the solid sub-frame bushings?

I suspect we are perhaps in a bit of a "I like the sound of this muffler, better than that muffler." Each of us has a preference, and maybe solid bushings "feel better" but I challenge anyone to show me objective data that these are in fact a measurable performance enhancing modification.

It's okay we all like to feel good about changes we make to our cars. I've done the subframe bushings and I drive my car almost every day except weekends (those are the track days), I'm happy with the change, but it's a big investment in labor for something that might not have effect on anything other than "feel."
Wouldn't the strongest indicator be that all the M vehicles post the E generation come stock with directly bolted subframes? It's an investment, but very DIY'able if you have access to a lift.
      01-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Are solid subframes faster? I don't know. If you're a good driver and able to sense tire grip thru the hands and butt, then maybe you don't need solid subframes.

But for me, the solid subframes removed the rear end shimmy over rough surfaces and that helped inspire a lot more confidence in pushing the car. So for me it was a great mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #14
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I did solid subframe bushings and poly diff bushings because I snapped a diff bolt and didn't want another. Wasn't expecting a big change but it was a huge difference in feel and wobble reduction. I've only tracked with the solid bushings so I can't compare, but I'm confident the added feel and stability enhances one's ability to go faster. Shit, fast people can go faster with something as simple as a better seat.
      01-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #15
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
I want to add on that when I say a completely solid rear end, I'm including the differential. Which is the source of differential whine, not the sub frame bushings.

Victor, I don't think it gets any more objective than going from a vehicle prone to wheel hop, with excessive movement of the rear subframe and diff, to modifying the bushings and completely eliminating both symptoms. If I had access to a stock e9x I'd literally attach a gopro to the rear and make videos of both so you could compare the two while being hard launched.

Who knows maybe I'll find someone willing to contribute their stock e9x for science.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #16
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

I don’t launch nor track so wheel hop isn’t a concern, nor are faster lap times. I just appreciate a solid chassis, and the comments addressing lateral shimmy over imperfect roads are of particular interest.
I installed AKG 95A subframe and differential bushings in my 6MT E46. The subframe did feel nicer, but modest, so I’m hoping solid makes it more worthwhile. The 95A whine was minimal but I plan on stock differential bushings for this car (DCT).
I do like the ZCP setup and don’t have interest in adding other monoballs or doing much else. Conceptually I can see the solid subframe “getting the most out of” the current setup, but I’ve also read “it highlights the shortcomings of the stock suspension” and along the lines of “stock subframe isn’t holding you back if you’re on less than the best coilovers.”

Last edited by wyatth; 01-06-2020 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #17
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

you are overthinking this. i paid a lot to get them installed and would do it again in a heartbeat. 100% worth it. stock ZCP suspension, stock differential bushings, DCT. street use only.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

You will notice solid subframes on street driving more than track driving cos track surfaces are perfect. There's not much to unsettle a car mid corner at the track. On the street however, every little rut, dip, manhole cover and expansion joint makes the back end wiggle if you have some steering angle. Solid subframes get rid of this wiggle.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 12:06 AM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Most people will like what they put a lot of money into buying.
I always take that into consideration when gathering advice.
I'm interested in this as well, but no willing to spend the money on it yet. I'm a decent drive at the track but there are guys who are considerably faster. I do feel the rear hop around a little over bumps and shimmy under hard braking, but it's only at track speeds. Not worth it for me yet.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #20
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
also interested to know more. as mine approaching 130K, I suspect there is a whole bunch things to keep an eye on and replace altogether. For me it's gonna be one of those do it all while down there, and the choice of components becomes important.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:48 AM   #21
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
you are overthinking this.
I tend to do that! But your setup speaks to me, thanks!

At 130K I’d probably go in with a full refresh list and justify it as a maintenance/mod combo.

Now to figure out how/why all of these offerings do the exact same thing while looking so different.

Last edited by wyatth; 01-08-2020 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #22
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Most people will like what they put a lot of money into buying.
I always take that into consideration when gathering advice.
I'm interested in this as well, but no willing to spend the money on it yet. I'm a decent drive at the track but there are guys who are considerably faster. I do feel the rear hop around a little over bumps and shimmy under hard braking, but it's only at track speeds. Not worth it for me yet.
Go drive a car with solid subframes. It's immediately noticeable.
Appreciate 0