BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Got A Brake Pad Sensor Error? DIY.

Hey guys so I have a Rotora Superchallenge BBK. So I didn't feel the brake pad sensors were accurate when using BBK. So I made a video for others in case they want their sensors to always read 100% life, and never have a brake pad sensor maintenance warning. This does mean you MUST keep an eye on your rotors and pads old school, use those eyes haha. Hopefully this video is clear enough, if anyone has questions lmk!

JD

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
You forgot to tell us to smash the subscribe button or something. What did this video tell us that's different? I must've missed it...
      02-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
You forgot to tell us to smash the subscribe button or something. What did this video tell us that's different? I must've missed it...
Ohh whoops SMASH the subscribe button lol! And this video is just teaching you how to complete the loop on your brake sensors in order to get a 100% read all the time on you brakes. Some people can't or choose not to use their brake pad sensors. So instead of having an error, or the car showing it needs new brake pads it won't bother you anymore. To some this may be old news and that's ok. To other this may be helpful, if it is happy to help!

And maybe you'll enjoy my other videos, if you like M3s then you may like my channel I'm constantly modifying my E36, E90 and F80 M3

JD
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Some of us have been doing this for 20 years. The brake pad sensor is a ground circuit. Just cut the wire somewhere between the brake pad and the junction box in the wheel well, strip the sheathing off, find the two small wires inside, strip them and connect them together and protect the connection with tape or a terminal end or heat shrink, and zip tie out of the way.

No utube video required, but if you want to help utubers get some advertising revenue, there are plenty of existing brake pad wear sensor bypass videos already out there.
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2691.50
JDE92M3874.00
      02-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Some of us have been doing this for 20 years. The brake pad sensor is a ground circuit. Just cut the wire somewhere between the brake pad and the junction box in the wheel well, strip the sheathing off, find the two small wires inside, strip them and connect them together and protect the connection with tape or a terminal end or heat shrink, and zip tie out of the way.

No utube video required, but if you want to help utubers get some advertising revenue, there are plenty of existing brake pad wear sensor bypass videos already out there.
Very true this is a commonly done practice. But believe it or not there are a lot of people that thanked me for making this video. Is it the best video? No. The most informative? No. But it helps those that are not in tune with the forums, facebook or google in general get things done. Trust me I know how easy it is to search things, but you would be surprised how difficult it is for some haha. Just trying to help the community out

JD
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

One question: was your error based on your bypass/short coming undone or the mileage counter going over? If the mileage reset is exceeded one can have difficulty resetting via the method you detailed.

Brake Pad Warning Refuses To Reset https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478138

I went through this issue. I was a able to reset with a foxwell scan tool, but spent quite a few frustrating days trying to reset through the dash.
Appreciate 1
JDE92M3874.00
      02-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
One question: was your error based on your bypass/short coming undone or the mileage counter going over? If the mileage reset is exceeded one can have difficulty resetting via the method you detailed.

Brake Pad Warning Refuses To Reset https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478138

I went through this issue. I was a able to reset with a foxwell scan tool, but spent quite a few frustrating days trying to reset through the dash.
Actually one of them came undone because a shop initially did it, shouldn't have the issue anymore. But once it came undone the brake sensor warning came up. So I had to do the bypass again properly, then I cleared and reset brake warnings. Now all is well and appreciate the brake warning reset, wasn't aware that has happened, good to know!

JD
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

As I mentioned one needs to check the mileage trigger on the brake resets. Much easier to reset for an open sensor then for when it goes off from the counter.
Appreciate 2
JDE92M3874.00
0utlaw9.50