BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

01-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #23
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkukuruda View Post
i've returned a handful of things to ECS, while their customer service isn't American Express level, I've found it decent if you pick up the phone. For all my returns, I've called them and gotten an RMA number and sent them back, no issues after that.

good luck,
Jeff

PS... I have these bushings on my e39 M5 from a year or two ago and they fit VERY tight, broke one cheap c clamp installing.
I could finally get an answer from ECS and they are replacing the kit. I've tried the bushings I have here on another set of calipers and they also fit loose. Hoping the replacement set will fit well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #24
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

When you get your replacement bushings, what you should find is that when you go to install them you should only be able to insert them about a 1/4", maybe just a bit more by hand. From that point on you need the installation kit that you already have and a big C-Clamp ( I think I used a 10 or12") and it should be tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #25
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
When you get your replacement bushings, what you should find is that when you go to install them you should only be able to insert them about a 1/4", maybe just a bit more by hand. From that point on you need the installation kit that you already have and a big C-Clamp ( I think I used a 10 or12") and it should be tight.
I've decided that I'll no longer buy anything from ECS, therefore I am not going to have replacement parts, I am just returning the bushing kit I have.

Thank you for your input though; much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #26
im4ipsc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

Question for you on your BW front brass caliper bushing guides from BimmerWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy82 View Post
I run the bushing kit, front and rear, from Bimmerworld in my E92 M3.
I`m very satisfied with this upgrade
Buy them, can`t go wrong with this
I see on Bimmerworld's website that when BW's rear brake caliper bushing guides are installed on an E9X M3, that the rear's caliper retaining spring is not needed anymore. Is the front brake's retaining spring not required after installing Bimmerworld's front brake caliper bushing guides?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #27
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I don’t recall not reinstalling any springs. What are these springs?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:36 AM   #28
im4ipsc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

Were you able to delete the catch spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy82 View Post
I run the bushing kit, front and rear, from Bimmerworld in my E92 M3.
I`m very satisfied with this upgrade
Buy them, can`t go wrong with this
were you able to delete BOTH the front and rear brake catch springs when you installed Bimmerworld's brass bushing kits? Or did you put the catch springs back on?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #29
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Clearance Issue

I bought the Bimmerworld brass caliper bushing kit for the front and rear. I'm having some clearance issues where I cant fully seat the snap ring on the front caliper guides. Its due to the shape of the snap ring where its thicker and hitting the caliper itself. Mind you I'm installing it based on the notes where the snap ring faces the inside of the caliper (next to the piston). Tried to do it the opposite way but the area is more confined.

I've tried using c-clamps to fully push the guides in and tried to mill off some caliper material for better snap ring clearance but still having issues. The instructions call for using the 18mm snap ring on the longer (bottom) caliper guide and the 19mm snap ring on the shorter (top) caliper guide. Can't get snap rings on either the longer or short caliper guides.

The rear bushing were much easier to install given the additional length. Has anyone encountered such issues for the front? I'm thinking either every caliper is slightly different or the production for this batch of caliper guide bushings are slightly too short.

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #30
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Interested in results. Been looking at both the bimmerworld and ECS kits. Was leaning towards ECS due to the included cap for best dust protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #31
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Cap will degrade if you take it to the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #32
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

So funny story, I did purchase and install the ECS front/rear kit. Also used their install tool and everything went according to the PDF instructions. However, of the 8 caliper bushings, only 7 needed to be pressed. One of the "long" bushings slid right in and is free to rotate/slide back and forth.

Does anyone with the ECS kit have any experience with this?

I emailed ECS asking if this is "acceptable" or not. We'll see what happens. I won't drive the car until I get an answer back.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #33
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Ran across an Audi thread that is a few years old. Directly from ECS/Jason:

"Depending on how much rust you remove from the caliper you can definitely have issues with the tolerance of the bushing. Using a bearing/sleave retainer to help hold the bushing in place of caliper bores that are slightly out of spec is an acceptable method."

He's specifically referring to: "Permatex 64000 High Temperature Carded Sleeve Retainer. It's for press fit bearings or sleeves that are slightly out of tolerance."

Got my hands on it for $8 from a local auto store. Will reinstall the one sleeve tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #34
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Did it. Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #35
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post
I bought the Bimmerworld brass caliper bushing kit for the front and rear. I'm having some clearance issues where I cant fully seat the snap ring on the front caliper guides. Its due to the shape of the snap ring where its thicker and hitting the caliper itself. Mind you I'm installing it based on the notes where the snap ring faces the inside of the caliper (next to the piston). Tried to do it the opposite way but the area is more confined.

I've tried using c-clamps to fully push the guides in and tried to mill off some caliper material for better snap ring clearance but still having issues. The instructions call for using the 18mm snap ring on the longer (bottom) caliper guide and the 19mm snap ring on the shorter (top) caliper guide. Can't get snap rings on either the longer or short caliper guides.

The rear bushing were much easier to install given the additional length. Has anyone encountered such issues for the front? I'm thinking either every caliper is slightly different or the production for this batch of caliper guide bushings are slightly too short.
I tried to do this again while installing my brake shields and used the other caliper guide. This time I toke some pictures to show the issue. I was thinking if I put everything back to together with the unseated snap ring, it could maybe seat when fully depressing the brakes. Thoughts?

Pictures show some gouges in the caliper paint where I tried to remove some material before.
Attached Images

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #36
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

I thought that snap ring was supposed to go on the other side. I don't have this kit, but rather the ECS one and there's nothing securing the bushing on the inner part of the caliper. Only the outer part.
      10-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #37
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Bimmerworld instructions say to install the snap ring on the inside next to the piston.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #38
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

What does bushing look like? Is the brass bushing groove closer to the side opposite to the bushing lip? If so then you've inserted the bushing from the wrong end. Per those instructions, those bushings are inserted from the outside of the caliper and the lip/seat of the bushing should be visible externally, not on the piston side (inner face).

So I would assume once inserted this way, you'll see a groove on the inside that allows the snap ring to secure on to the bushing.

It's interesting how these are installed in the complete reverse order when compared to the ECS
      10-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #39
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
What does bushing look like? Is the brass bushing groove closer to the side opposite to the bushing lip? If so then you've inserted the bushing from the wrong end. Per those instructions, those bushings are inserted from the outside of the caliper and the lip/seat of the bushing should be visible externally, not on the piston side (inner face).

So I would assume once inserted this way, you'll see a groove on the inside that allows the snap ring to secure on to the bushing.

It's interesting how these are installed in the complete reverse order when compared to the ECS
Exactly, lip is supposed to be on the outside. I tried it both ways but due to the shape of the snap ring, it doesnt fit. Oh well, I'm in the market for a BBK or some type of retrofit so calipers will be changed out. Thanks for your help.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #40
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Have you tried installing them the ECS way? Same placement you have going on but with the snap ring on the other side.
      08-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #41
braindamage
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Does the Bimmerworld instructions mention you don't need to run the spring clip after installing these brass bushings? The YouTube video that was linked, the person said no. I downloaded the ECS instructions for their version and it didn't mention removing or installing them back.

What about you guys who are running these?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #42
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post

Yeah I just ground down the caliper a bit. The casting was not flat/level enough so the clip was never going to seat properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #43
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindamage View Post
Does the Bimmerworld instructions mention you don't need to run the spring clip after installing these brass bushings? The YouTube video that was linked, the person said no. I downloaded the ECS instructions for their version and it didn't mention removing or installing them back.

just put them back on? they will minimize any pad movement still left after the solid bushings. Takes 2 seconds to pop them back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #44
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindamage View Post

I removed them from the rear. I didn't see the point of them.

I still havent installed the front caliper guides nor gotten a BBK.

Appreciate 0