BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #23
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Well that kinda sucks
      09-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Is anybody on this forum in the United States that was actually able to buy a 2018 G30 540d here in the U.S.? I never saw any hit showroom floors in the U.S.

I'm also really disappointed there will be no G21 330d Wagon here for U.S. market.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #25
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Diesels typically get much better fuel economy than a similar gas powered vehicle . Diesel motors run extremely high compression ratios which compresses fuel to
Make combustion rather than rely on an ignition source, this type of combustion is very efficient as you need less fuel per cylinder to make a stoichiometric ratio.

It's sad that most people confuse modern diesels with smelly beasts.

My 335d makes zero indication that it's a diesel until you have to put fuel in it. It's actually quite an amazing machine. It pulls like a freight train, the powerband is a wall of torque that starts at idle all the way to 5000rpm .. you're not getting that with a gas motor , while being able to achieve 40mpg

Bmw imo helped pioneer the modern diesel technology, and applied the technology to vehicles most people wouldn't assume.

Yes technology is closing the gap between gas and diesel , direct injection , turbocharging .. but I feel manufactures are giving up on diesel.

Lithium batterys are WAY worse for the environment than they lead you to believe....
Appreciate 4
Vervain396.50
X5Blair19.00
lab_rat394.50
Swappy531.50
      09-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #26
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Lithium batterys are WAY worse for the environment than they lead you to believe....
True, but the environmental extremists seem to like to keep their focus on tailpipe emissions.
      09-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #27
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmm big decision. Diesel is struggling.
      09-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #28
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
First they killed almost all MT, then they want to kill wagon and now diesel they really want me to look somewhere else it seem.
I agree!

I felt the same way when horses, wagon wheels, 8-track players, VCR's, and bias ply tires went away...

So sad...
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #29
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Definitely time to look somewhere else. Had BMW diesels for a decade now. Would not drive anything else.....
your m3 is not a diesel
      09-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #30
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT3 View Post
If you watch the 1st. episode of new Netflix series "Dirty Money" about VW's diesel debacle you might not want a diesel. It's very well done and implicates BMW and MB as well towards the end. Bottom line these engines pollute 400% to 500% more than the manufacturers say. It's worth watching. BMW's decision might very well be related to this since the motors might not pass emission regs.
Because you think they don't cheat on gas engine as well? The focus is just not there.
Appreciate 1
nogren327.00
      09-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #31
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
First they killed almost all MT, then they want to kill wagon and now diesel they really want me to look somewhere else it seem.
I agree!

I felt the same way when horses, wagon wheels, 8-track players, VCR's, and bias ply tires went away...

So sad...
Well let's see a PHEV is heavier, get worst mpg on the highway, worst handling and require constant charging to make it worth it. Nice evolution yay!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #32
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well let's see a PHEV is heavier, get worst mpg on the highway, worst handling and require constant charging to make it worth it. Nice evolution yay!
My Tesla gets better mileage than a diesel...

It handles better, and is certainly faster, than most diesels...

I charge it nightly. No drama.

The future is electric. Get over it. Embrace the future!

Last edited by evanevery; 09-12-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #33
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The future is electric. Get over it.
I recently test drove a P100D it understeer way more than my 328d, I park on the street so no accès to charging point so I would have to waste my time at supercharger. The future is hydrogen.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17423.00
lab_rat394.50
      09-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #34
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I recently test drove a P100D it understeer way more than my 328d, I park on the street so no accès to charging point so I would have to waste my time at supercharger. The future is hydrogen.
Most (81%) EV users charge at home (overnight). Public chargers are unnecessary. Sorry you don't have a plug... You can't do this (fill up at home) with Hydrogen. Regardless - no one is making hydrogen vehicles for mass consumption right now. You might as well say the future is portable fusion... Keep fishin'...

I also have an i8 Roadster (which gets better mileage, handles better than most diesels, and doesn't need a charger at all).

...not to mention my Sierra 2500 Diesel pickup which pulls the trailer that holds my M4 track car.

Time marches on. Get over it...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #35
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
Great torque and amazing gas mileage. I am getting 31 mpg on the 2015 X5d. If you are driving 70-80 miles commute daily its well worth it as you can get 650 plus miles on a tank of gas.
^ the torque on diesels is insane
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
Great torque and amazing gas mileage. I am getting 31 mpg on the 2015 X5d. If you are driving 70-80 miles commute daily its well worth it as you can get 650 plus miles on a tank of gas.
31mpg? isn't it rated at 27 hwy?

I know before when the price diesel premium was more than $1500, you'd have to drive like 100k+ miles before you started to realize any savings. Haven't done the calculation on any recent models so perhaps it's less now.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #37
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT3 View Post
If you watch the 1st. episode of new Netflix series "Dirty Money" about VW's diesel debacle you might not want a diesel. It's very well done and implicates BMW and MB as well towards the end. Bottom line these engines pollute 400% to 500% more than the manufacturers say. It's worth watching. BMW's decision might very well be related to this since the motors might not pass emission regs.
That's just politics. I am sure there are tech already there to handle it.
And with higher compression in gas engines, they also generates some of the emissions diesel generate, I.e. will require similar cleaning as the most modern BMW diesels.

At the moment it's a bit more expensive to develop and certify diesels, especially on some markets (us), so some companies avoid that costs partly (BMW), and completely (Volvo, who won't develop the next generation VEA diesels).

I am happy driving a clean diesel, generating far less co2 that comparable gas cars. And with more torque available if needed.
      09-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #38
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The future is electric. Get over it.
....The future is hydrogen.
Fool Cells...
      09-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #39
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
That's just politics. I am sure there are tech already there to handle it.
And with higher compression in gas engines, they also generates some of the emissions diesel generate, I.e. will require similar cleaning as the most modern BMW diesels.

At the moment it's a bit more expensive to develop and certify diesels, especially on some markets (us), so some companies avoid that costs partly (BMW), and completely (Volvo, who won't develop the next generation VEA diesels).

I am happy driving a clean diesel, generating far less co2 that comparable gas cars. And with more torque available if needed.
Actually, Diesel engine technology is struggling to match the emission regulation. Technology is not really there (at reasonable cost) to meet this crazy emission standard.

Diesel fuel itself is a lot dirtier than gasoline, so it burns dirty. That's built in from the beginning.
And it mostly burns lean, so it creates NOx.
Gasoline has it's own issue too. As it gets more and more efficient, it sees the same issue as diesel has.

So, electric is the future? Is it really greener than IC engines?
I am not so sure. Electricity has to come from somewhere.
As of today, most power plant in US is coal power plant.
Power plant is certainly more efficient than diesel engines in the car.
However, if we account all parasitic discharges from stored batteries, Lithium battery pollution and emissions from power plants, electric vehicle may not be greener than IC engines.

Then Solar panel comes in to play. People think it will be the ultimate solution. I don't think so.
As of today, the efficiency is solar panel is nowhere near replacing other power plants. It's just way too inefficient. Maintenance is costly as well.

Also, there will be different form of side effect from taking solar energy that meant go to the earth surface. For sure, lots of solar panel will affect the climate nearby.
Simply temperature will be different near the solar panel since solar energy that supposed to be absorbed on the ground is being captured and consumed somewhere else.
Nobody knows how it will affect our environment. No one.

Current move to electric vehicle is purely driven by businesses and politics. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's all about money.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      09-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #40
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Most (81%) EV users charge at home (overnight). Public chargers are unnecessary...
For now, Tesla is just expensive toy car for rich people. That's why 81% of Tesla can be charged at home.

I'm not sure how many people in the US has their own garage but I'm pretty sure it's less than 80%.

Charging time and charging infrastructure are the key for electric vehicle.

If the car can be charged to 200 miles range in 15 minutes and number of charging station is a least 30% of current gas stations, then it's time to by electric car.
Appreciate 1
Shane550X127.50
      09-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #41
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

No surprise. Perfect storm really when you think about it.

-All the govt money thrown at EV development
-VW scandal
-Euro cities trying to ban diesels.
-Public disclosure that the OE's were able to shop certification within EU member countries.
-Finally, emissions systems are not reliable

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #42
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
For now, Tesla is just expensive toy car for rich people. That's why 81% of Tesla can be charged at home.

I'm not sure how many people in the US has their own garage but I'm pretty sure it's less than 80%.

Charging time and charging infrastructure are the key for electric vehicle.

If the car can be charged to 200 miles range in 15 minutes and number of charging station is a least 30% of current gas stations, then it's time to by electric car.

Its not 81% of Tesla's... Its 81% of ALL EV's (inc Leaf, Bolt, Model 3, etc)

I don't know why folks get hung up on the charging infrastructure. 81% of EV users don't use it. I don't care anything about it. I'm on my third EV (Volt, Tesla, i8 Roadster) and I've NEVER used a public charger. Never even seen one. I'm not gonna take my EV for a long trip - I'll use one of my cars with an ICE for that...

Most families in the US have 2+ cars. One could be an EV.

If the range of an EV can meet your DD requirements, and you can charge at home (and/or at work), then the public charging infrastructure is meaningless...
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6112.00
      09-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #43
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
{snip} All the govt money thrown at EV development {snip}
Yup, just like all the money thrown at ARPANET. What a waste, right?

Subsidies promote new technologies and industries, not Tariffs/Taxes...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #44
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
For now, Tesla is just expensive toy car for rich people. {snip}
Tesla Model 3 Outsold All BMW Passenger Cars In US:

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-...assenger-cars/

So what does that make a BMW?