BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

BPM

07-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

tips from Chicago ppl needed!

hey guys,
my name is Jae with an E90 M3 from NYC/NJ area.
I'm planning to stay in Chicago for 4~6 weeks around Norwegian American Hospital (60622), and wondering a few things

1. I plan to drive there, either M3 or my cheap daily. I really want to take the M3 (i've done a lot of NJ -> Univ of Michigan trips yrs ago when I was in college and loved it, also wanna make a few trips on the way and back). I'm wondering how the neighborhood around that hospital (60622) is. I was informed that the hospital parking is fine, just wondering if it's "safe" around that neighborhood. I'm from NYC and I know how bad a "city commute/parking" can be.

2. I've searched a few Air Bnb places around 60622 and prices seem to vary A LOT ($800~3000 a month). Where's a decent place to get housing IN CITY, or maybe nice,quiet SUBURB area (since I'll have my car I can commute)?

thanks guys!
      07-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Not from Chicago but enjoy the trip bro. Make sure you make it work with the m3 or you will be cursing yourself on the highways and as you cross the Appalachians!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Ngilbe36 but I could be totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
hey guys,
my name is Jae with an E90 M3 from NYC/NJ area.
I'm planning to stay in Chicago for 4~6 weeks around Norwegian American Hospital (60622), and wondering a few things

1. I plan to drive there, either M3 or my cheap daily. I really want to take the M3 (i've done a lot of NJ -> Univ of Michigan trips yrs ago when I was in college and loved it, also wanna make a few trips on the way and back). I'm wondering how the neighborhood around that hospital (60622) is. I was informed that the hospital parking is fine, just wondering if it's "safe" around that neighborhood. I'm from NYC and I know how bad a "city commute/parking" can be.

2. I've searched a few Air Bnb places around 60622 and prices seem to vary A LOT ($800~3000 a month). Where's a decent place to get housing IN CITY, or maybe nice,quiet SUBURB area (since I'll have my car I can commute)?

thanks guys!

60622 includes some very popular & trendy neighborhoods like Wicker Park, hence the high prices. You will definitely enjoy that part of the city if you want easy access to food, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. However, that zipcode also includes and borders some less-desirable neighborhoods which is why you are seeing some very cheap stuff. It's a very dense part of the city and parking around there is going to suck. Many people there either don't have a car or they're content to just let it sit on the street and get bashed up.

If you are trying to stay near that hospital, my advice is to use something like Spot Hero and do a monthly garage rental somewhere in the vicinity. This will keep the car off the street but you may need to walk a few blocks to fetch it. I did a quick check on Spot Hero and there are secured garages for about $250/month, which seems like a good price to keep the car safe. PM me if you want a referral code or anything. If you can't find stuff on Spot Hero, try searching Craigslist for a personal private garage -- maybe someone has an extra spot you can rent for a month.

Otherwise, I would say stay somewhere else in the city with better parking and more choice in housing. You can just use public transit or Lyft/taxi to get to the hospital. We have very good public transit and a lot of amazing neighborhoods to experience.
jaehshim489.00
      07-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
60622 includes some very popular & trendy neighborhoods like Wicker Park, hence the high prices. You will definitely enjoy that part of the city if you want easy access to food, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. However, that zipcode also includes and borders some less-desirable neighborhoods which is why you are seeing some very cheap stuff. It's a very dense part of the city and parking around there is going to suck. Many people there either don't have a car or they're content to just let it sit on the street and get bashed up.

If you are trying to stay near that hospital, my advice is to use something like Spot Hero and do a monthly garage rental somewhere in the vicinity. This will keep the car off the street but you may need to walk a few blocks to fetch it. I did a quick check on Spot Hero and there are secured garages for about $250/month, which seems like a good price to keep the car safe. PM me if you want a referral code or anything. If you can't find stuff on Spot Hero, try searching Craigslist for a personal private garage -- maybe someone has an extra spot you can rent for a month.

Otherwise, I would say stay somewhere else in the city with better parking and more choice in housing. You can just use public transit or Lyft/taxi to get to the hospital. We have very good public transit and a lot of amazing neighborhoods to experience.
Thank you for a detailed comment!
My friends recommended Logan square, South Loop, West Loop or Trip Taylor, price seems to be pretty high and Parking seems to be pretty bad. Honestly, parking is quite important for me lol

I'm looking for Sub $1000/month Air BnB with nice house parking (not street) OUTSIDE of downtown, which suburb town (maybe within ~20 min driving) outside of 60622 do you recommend?
I have close relative living in Schamburg but it's quite far from 60622, but Schamburg is the type of neighborhood I'm looking for, i'm happy to drive ~20min commute daily to the hospital
      07-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #6
acevo8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8

The south loop or west loop is a good location but similarly with wicker park, most folks that live there don't really own cars.

I would recommend you look at any of those, west loop, south loop, wicker park, or Lincoln Park with parking spots for you. You have to keep in mind that "20 mins" commute is subjective here in Chicago. Any suburb outside of the city will net you 30-1 hour during rush hour periods, our traffic is pretty bad throughout the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Thank you for a detailed comment!
My friends recommended Logan square, South Loop, West Loop or Trip Taylor, price seems to be pretty high and Parking seems to be pretty bad. Honestly, parking is quite important for me lol

I'm looking for Sub $1000/month Air BnB with nice house parking (not street) OUTSIDE of downtown, which suburb town (maybe within ~20 min driving) outside of 60622 do you recommend?
I have close relative living in Schamburg but it's quite far from 60622, but Schamburg is the type of neighborhood I'm looking for, i'm happy to drive ~20min commute daily to the hospital

Areas like River North will have ample parking since it's all high-rise buildings with garages, but those are also more expensive units and you're paying for the location. It's hard to find a decent apartment to rent there for under $1800/month, and that's before you fork over $250/month for parking.

Another alternative might be to look a bit further north but still within city limits, such as Ravenswood, Andersonville, or Edgewater. They are safe neighborhoods and are mostly houses/apartments (no high rises), and people there do tend to own cars a bit more. You will need to travel further to get to nightlife and such. South Loop is a good bargain though still expensive, relatively close to the action, has parking, but can get sketchy very quickly if you aren't familiar with things.

Schaumburg is far from downtown. You could take Metra (commuter rail), but even that will be 30-40 minutes each way and then you're dependent on the train schedule. The only suburb that I would say is okay and still close to the city is probably Oak Park. You can't even get from city limits to the hospital you mentioned in 20 minutes by car during rush hour, as someone else said. You can avoid rush hour by leaving at 5am and then getting out just after lunch, lol.

Honestly, if you are going to be downtown for 6 weeks, don't bring your car. As you can see, it really complicates things and adds considerable cost. You need to pick two things: safe, cheap, car-friendly. Where I live, it's safe and car friendly...but not cheap.
      07-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Areas like River North will have ample parking since it's all high-rise buildings with garages, but those are also more expensive units and you're paying for the location. It's hard to find a decent apartment to rent there for under $1800/month, and that's before you fork over $250/month for parking.

Another alternative might be to look a bit further north but still within city limits, such as Ravenswood, Andersonville, or Edgewater. They are safe neighborhoods and are mostly houses/apartments (no high rises), and people there do tend to own cars a bit more. You will need to travel further to get to nightlife and such. South Loop is a good bargain though still expensive, relatively close to the action, has parking, but can get sketchy very quickly if you aren't familiar with things.

Schaumburg is far from downtown. You could take Metra (commuter rail), but even that will be 30-40 minutes each way and then you're dependent on the train schedule. The only suburb that I would say is okay and still close to the city is probably Oak Park. You can't even get from city limits to the hospital you mentioned in 20 minutes by car during rush hour, as someone else said. You can avoid rush hour by leaving at 5am and then getting out just after lunch, lol.

Honestly, if you are going to be downtown for 6 weeks, don't bring your car. As you can see, it really complicates things and adds considerable cost. You need to pick two things: safe, cheap, car-friendly. Where I live, it's safe and car friendly...but not cheap.
+1 to this. I'd probably be looking at Ravenswood / Oak Park if you're trying to keep your commute relatively short. I don't live too far from Schaumburg, but it has taken me anywhere from 40 minutes to over 2 hours to get downtown sometimes.

Would be cool to see another E90 stop by for some IND treatment if you do decide to bring it!
      07-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
send me a pm. I am close to where you want to stay and have a buddy who will Airbnb you if you would like. I also have an open garage spot if you are interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
send me a pm. I am close to where you want to stay and have a buddy who will Airbnb you if you would like. I also have an open garage spot if you are interested as well.
PMed, Thx!