BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

Today, 12:59 PM   #21429
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
jvictormp

What do you think is a good mileage to replace FI as preventative maintenance? MY10 at 29k miles currently. Do they degrade over time too or it's mostly buildup over x amount of miles? I'm doing spark plugs soon and this crossed my mind
That question hasn't got an answer yet.

That's because people weren't able to determine the root cause of the FI failure.

There is suspect of deposit buildup in the injector, yes. But a good cleanup once in a while would avoid that, right? But it doesn't. People had stuck injectors that were periodically cleaned.

There is also the suspect that the culprit is the strainer at the pump suction, that degrades and let the element go through the pump and reach the injector. The solution would be replacing the fuel pump set.

But all of that would be avoided with an inline 10-micron filter.

My injectors have been running for 5 years now, only 15,000 miles although.

Only using top tier gas.

I don't expect to replace them soon, although if they were cheaper I'd centainly do because it's not clear what causes the failure.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:07 PM   #21430
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
That question hasn't got an answer yet.

That's because people weren't able to determine the root cause of the FI failure.

There is suspect of deposit buildup in the injector, yes. But a good cleanup once in a while would avoid that, right? But it doesn't. People had stuck injectors that were periodically cleaned.

There is also the suspect that the culprit is the strainer at the pump suction, that degrades and let the element go through the pump and reach the injector. The solution would be replacing the fuel pump set.

But all of that would be avoided with an inline 10-micron filter.

My injectors have been running for 5 years now, only 15,000 miles although.

Only using top tier gas.

I don't expect to replace them soon, although if they were cheaper I'd centainly do because it's not clear what causes the failure.
I bought mine single owner at 18k miles. I only use top tier, Shell primarily, I'm hoping he did the same. Adding a filter would be a good idea with FI replacement while also considering doing the fuel pump at the same time
Appreciate 1
jvictormp893.00
      Today, 05:35 PM   #21431
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
What did you use to polish them? Since I went catless X pipe I've noticed a lot more buildup obviously
Steel wool #0000 is pretty non aggressive and can cut out some oxidation. I then used mother's mag and wheel polish on it too.

There's still some baked on carbon that I might try some acetone on to see if that will dissolve it. Good luck!
Appreciate 0