BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #9923
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

look at that ricey carbon wrap on that plenum, 2/10 1 star, F+
      07-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #9924
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
look at that ricey carbon wrap on that plenum, 2/10 1 star, F+
It's going to help me win the championship if I ever make it back to the track.
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Bartledoo2691.50
      07-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #9925
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Time to replace these rotors? About 19-20 track hours plus 10k street miles. I can just barely catch my fingernail on the larger cracks, but none of them go all the way to the edge. Thickness is still in spec.
Attached Images

07-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #9926
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Time to replace these rotors? About 19-20 track hours plus 10k street miles. I can just barely catch my fingernail on the larger cracks, but none of them go all the way to the edge. Thickness is still in spec.
As you know, they would probably be fine for a few more track hours but there's always that possibility they crack all the way through and you end up losing half a track day or more replacing parts.

I'd replace them before a track weekend, but flip of a coin for just a track day.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #9927
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Rotors look fine to me.
      07-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #9928
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
As you know, they would probably be fine for a few more track hours but there's always that possibility they crack all the way through and you end up losing half a track day or more replacing parts.

I'd replace them before a track weekend, but flip of a coin for just a track day.
KNS recommended sanding and re-bedding, and that they're maybe good for 8ish more hours. The shrinking slots are a sign that they're definitely on their way out. It's definitely a "fool's game" with guessing, to his point.

His advice was to keep spares on hand if there's a bunch of events on the schedule, to your point of not missing out on a day. I've probably got 2 or 3 more track days left on my pads so I figure I'll just run those down and then get the rotors and pads swapped at the same time, along with fresh fluid.

Now I just need to decide if I want to go for another set of DBA fronts and finally install the DBA rears I've had in a box for the last year, or switch to GiroDisc. GD sells replacement rings for my factory hats in the front only, or you can buy a full assembly with their hat for front and rear.

DBA front rotor ring pair: $620
DBA rear rotor ring pair: $0 (bought dirt cheap during their spring cleaning sale last year)

GiroDisc front rotor ring pair: $700

GiroDisc front rotor assembly pair: $1000
GiroDisc rear rotor assembly pair: $950

OEM front rotor assembly pair: $800
OEM rear rotor assembly pair: $800
      07-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #9929
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Hmm, my luck might have finally run out >_<
Damn good TBN though =P
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #9930
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well the oil has been in there for a while... if it's too small for the filter to pickup, won't it just hang around? If that's the case, the amount of miles on that oil has to be taken into account.
That said, I'm not really confident in these tests.

Last edited by roastbeef; 07-23-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #9931
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Well the oil has been in there for a while... if it's too small for the filter to pickup, won't it just hang around? If that's the case, ilthe amount of miles on that oil has to be taken into account.
That said, I'm not really confident in these tests.
It's actually only been in there since the beginning of March. I skipped a test. Still have the oil sample though. Will probably send it in for shits and giggles.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #9932
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
DCT Temp is not available,
That's a shame. It looks like brake pedal position isn't available either, but the brake pressure is. I thought I could use a math channel to convert the pressure in bar to a percentage, but it looks like it can't quite do that.

For my reference, what's the maximum brake pressure? My test run only recorded a max of 26 bar, but I don't recall trying to get the brake pedal fully down ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #9933
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
That's a shame. It looks like brake pedal position isn't available either, but the brake pressure is. I thought I could use a math channel to convert the pressure in bar to a percentage, but it looks like it can't quite do that.

For my reference, what's the maximum brake pressure? My test run only recorded a max of 26 bar, but I don't recall trying to get the brake pedal fully down ever.
Quote:
Quote:

I don't even have brake pressure in E46 but use a math channel to convert long G into estimated brake pressure. Works well for comparative purposes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #9934
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
KNS recommended sanding and re-bedding, and that they're maybe good for 8ish more hours. The shrinking slots are a sign that they're definitely on their way out. It's definitely a "fool's game" with guessing, to his point.

His advice was to keep spares on hand if there's a bunch of events on the schedule, to your point of not missing out on a day. I've probably got 2 or 3 more track days left on my pads so I figure I'll just run those down and then get the rotors and pads swapped at the same time, along with fresh fluid.

Now I just need to decide if I want to go for another set of DBA fronts and finally install the DBA rears I've had in a box for the last year, or switch to GiroDisc. GD sells replacement rings for my factory hats in the front only, or you can buy a full assembly with their hat for front and rear.

DBA front rotor ring pair: $620
DBA rear rotor ring pair: $0 (bought dirt cheap during their spring cleaning sale last year)

GiroDisc front rotor ring pair: $700

GiroDisc front rotor assembly pair: $1000
GiroDisc rear rotor assembly pair: $950

OEM front rotor assembly pair: $800
OEM rear rotor assembly pair: $800
The rotors in those 2 pics are fine to run. Just make sure you check the inside of the rotor too. I’ve had rotors that had no cracks going to the edge on the outside surface but had three solid cracks going to the edge on the inside surface. So, as it keeps aging, check the insides too.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #9935
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
Hmm, my luck might have finally run out >_<
Damn good TBN though =P
10 track days on a sample is a lot, but the sudden spike in lead after a long history of lower numbers is concerning. Given that everything else looks fine, especially viscosity, I would pull a sample in a bit and pay for another analysis.

Also, I spoke to Scott Adams (of Scott Adams Driver Development) and decided to start using him for some one-on-one coaching. Going to meet him in a few weeks when he's up here in Dallas for the NASA TMS event. Was very impressed with him based on our initial phone conversation. I'll be sure to share more details after our first session next month.

Last edited by dparm; 07-24-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11584.50
      07-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #9936
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:

i get brake pressure up to 1200 or more PSI.
I can check later for a more precise number
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #9937
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I don't even have brake pressure in E46 but use a math channel to convert long G into estimated brake pressure. Works well for comparative purposes.
we have brake pressure on the E92 CAN bus
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #9938
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

we have brake pressure on the E92 CAN bus
You guys are lucky.

My point is that is should be possible to convert brake pressure to a linear value using a math channel.

However, I have seen actual brake pressure compared with the math estimation using long G's and the shapes are similar. And I am able to compare the shape of my estimated brake pressure to that of my coach and it is sufficient to analyze and make adjustments to your brake application.

Ergo, you can use shape of raw brake pressure without further manipulation to analyze and improve your braking.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #9939
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You guys are lucky.

My point is that is should be possible to convert brake pressure to a linear value using a math channel.

However, I have seen actual brake pressure compared with the math estimation using long G's and the shapes are similar. And I am able to compare the shape of my estimated brake pressure to that of my coach and it is sufficient to analyze and make adjustments to your brake application.

Ergo, you can use shape of raw brake pressure without further manipulation to analyze and improve your braking.
That would work for analysis after a session, but the idea I had is a dashboard for instructors so they have a better idea of what I'm actually doing on track.

Page 1 is "Speed" consisting of GPS speed, RPM, and dash speed to show the difference (as I have 18 inch track wheels)

Page 2 is "Inputs" consisting of steering angle, gas pedal position percentage, and brake pressure. Having a brake percentage would be useful for an instructor (more brake, less brake, just right).

My last instructor would often look at the speedo to get an idea of speeds through corners so I'm sure at least he would appreciate having this info right in front of him.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #9940
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You guys are lucky.

That would work for analysis after a session, but the idea I had is a dashboard for instructors so they have a better idea of what I'm actually doing on track.

Page 1 is "Speed" consisting of GPS speed, RPM, and dash speed to show the difference (as I have 18 inch track wheels)

Page 2 is "Inputs" consisting of steering angle, gas pedal position percentage, and brake pressure. Having a brake percentage would be useful for an instructor (more brake, less brake, just right).

My last instructor would often look at the speedo to get an idea of speeds through corners so I'm sure at least he would appreciate having this info right in front of him.
Makes sense. Post what you learn.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #9941
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Try adding "aggression" math channels where you calculate the derivative of accelerator, brake, and steering. It's a great way to visualize where you aren't being smooth with the inputs.
      07-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #9942
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'll take a look at that, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I hooked up the Solo on my commute to work this morning and tried to figure out the maximum braking pressure when parked. It was 84 bar which is ~1218 PSI. If the maximum was 100 bar, that would be very convenient but this will be easy enough to convert to a percentage mentally if I can't do it easily with a math channel.

I'm still in the early stages of going through all of the Race Studio and analysis videos on https://www.jamescolborn.com - it's a great site.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #9943
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Woo! Been wanting a 2 wheel pic for a while haha

Name:  DSC_5132-980x653.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  114.9 KB
Appreciate 12