BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

12-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #67
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

Please do.... I'm interested in improving the feel of mine do would love to hear your thoughts/feedback on your mods!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #68
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenio View Post
Please do.... I'm interested in improving the feel of mine do would love to hear your thoughts/feedback on your mods!
Surely! I'll be sure to add info to the future thread I create after the SSK + OEM shifter parts refresh + UCP is done as well.

Some feedback on what I've already done:

Clutch Spring Removal - I did this about 2-3 months ago. I think it's definitely a worthwhile mod to do considering how easy it is, but do not expect it to improve actual shifter feel when rowing through the gears at all; all it does is make clutch manipulation and detection of the clutch's engagement point much more clear and precise to the driver. Before, it was quite vague due to the spring offering a ton of sudden assistance when the clutch lever approached the engagement point, thus making rev matching and going from 1 gear to another a somewhat slow and vague process, as it was hard to feel exactly where the catch-point was in the lever's length of travel. Clutch does feel heavier after removing the spring, but it is in no way too heavy or unmanageable imo, and this is coming from a guy who drove automatics his entire life prior to the M3 and daily drives his M3 in stop-and-go traffic on occasion. $0 cost mod, so overall, I can't see any reason not to do this (unless you maybe have a physical condition that a heavier clutch pedal would aggravate, but I'd imagine people with such concerns would have opted for a DCT to begin with).

Changed 6MT fluid from OEM to Redline MTL - I did this 2 weeks ago. Be aware that I think my 6MT fluid was in bad/overdue need of change, as my transmission was replaced at ~70K from BMW when it was with the previous owner, and I'm unsure as to whether or not a 1200 mile 6MT fluid change was done after the new transmission was put in. The fluid that I drained out didn't look too bad though, a dull translucent yellow'ish green color. I think this made the biggest difference of all the 6MT related mods I've done so far, although it did take a day or two of driving it around post-fluid-change for me to feel it. At first, I didn't notice much of a difference at all and was somewhat dissapointed, but about 2 days and a few trips around town later, I noticed a huge improvement. I'm not sure if it was because it took a while for the new fluid to really get everywhere it needed to be, or for it to be "absorbed"/"mesh" with all the metal that it came in contact with, but I saw an increase in smoothness overall after swapping fluids. I was also having an issue where 1st gear was moderately to very difficult to shift into when already in motion and going down a steep hill (IE; approaching a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill, trying to shift into 1st gear in anticipation of making a full stop and then going again after checking both ways); there would be a ton of resistance when trying to shift the lever into 1st, and sometimes it would literally reject it and immediately push it back out into neutral once I did manage to get it into 1st. Post-fluid-change, the severity of this occurrence has been much reduced. I also used to sometimes get a slight grind when shifting from 1st into 2nd (clutch all the way in, of course), and this occurrence has been reduced in frequency as well. Shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear notchyness was also reduced.

F10 M5 Shift Knob - I did this 1 week ago (1 week after the Redline MTL fluid change, so I could get a feel for what each individual change did for me). Definitely felt a noticeable improvement in feel when rowing through the gears after this one. Everything feels a bit less notchy, and just a bit more smooth after installing this. It's probably due to the increased weight of the knob, as it's basically a weighted ZHP shift knob that has illumination and comes with an OEM leather boot. I personally like the actual feel/height of the knob in hand a lot more than the stock goose-neck too, so that probably plays a factor in my mind in regards to worthwhileness of the mod. Cherry on top is that I think it looks a lot more elegant than the stock goose-neck as well!

AutoSolutions 27% Short Shift Kit - Coming soon! I also plan on replacing the following parts at the same time with brand new OEM parts as a refresh: left and right bearing pin, left and right shifter bushings, shifter ball bushing

Ultimate Clutch Pedal - Coming soon!

Last edited by kamber; 12-10-2016 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #69
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
Ultimate Clutch Pedal - Coming soon!
One of the best mods for a manual BMW. I suggest you select the middle firmness location on the UCP. The clutch will engage almost immediately once it is released from the floor. It may take a few days to get use to it, but you'll love it in the end.

Here's a link where I share comments and pictures on 1addicts...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=UPC

BTW, if you plan on installing yourself, lay a heavy blanket across the floor board, and do some core stretches before you start. Your ribs will thank you.

Last edited by Pig Farmer; 12-10-2016 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #70
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
One of the best mods for a manual BMW. I suggest you select the middle firmness location on the UCP. The clutch will engage almost immediately once it is released from the floor. It may take a few days to get use to it, but you'll love it in the end.

Here's a link where I share comments and pictures on 1addicts...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=UPC

BTW, if you plan on installing yourself, lay a heavy blanket across the floor board, and do some core stretches before you start. Your ribs will thank you.
Glad you're enjoying it man! I opted for it as I wanted to go with a more "proper" method of changing the clutch engagement height, since there are drawbacks to using a clutchstop even though the cost is significantly more attractive than a UCP.

My goal for this car is to do everything I possibly can myself since I've never worked on my own vehicles before and find it super satisfying to be able to learn and do all the work myself. So asides from a corner balance and alignment, I'm going to attempt to be the exclusive installer of any mods. I have a roll-up outdoor sleeping pad that I'll try to lay across the floor board, thanks for the tip!

Last edited by kamber; 12-10-2016 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #71
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Damn i'm still on the fence! (sorry for bringing back an old thread)
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #72
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Have a manual in another car so perhaps a different baseline. Dct tune for circa 100 bucks on top of an engine tune is the best bang for buck mod for the dollars on any car I have done. Downshift rev matched 3rd to 2nd gear with a modded exhaust is the standout hightlight of the M3 E9x ownership for me. Not sure you can get that with a manual even heal toeing. Ps Don't drive in auto mode. Eg strictly manual mode with paddle shifter. Eg 12 months plus of ownership and haven't made one gear change with the gear selector in manual mode. Now Compare that to my Mrs's V8 Toureg and haven't made one gear change with the paddle shifter.

Also changing gears with your little finger in peak hour traffic is a bonus. That all said, if you have an inkling to take the car on the track, reckon manual is the way to go.
Appreciate 0