BMW E46 M3 - Legend Eternal
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
$46k used e46 M3 38 38.78%
$49k new 335i coupe 60 61.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

12-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #23
JizJizJiz
Elitist prick
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
i would say , go for the 335i.
the 335 is a new model,is cheaper, cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain and goes almost as fast as the m3!!
Exactly. And with a simple chip/software add-on (that's completely removable for warranty purposes), much faster in a straight line. And it's more comfortable to drive everyday. With a set of PSS9s, it'll handle almost as well (from what I hear...it's been awhile since I drove both cars).

Personally, I'd get a used 335. You can find one for around $43 OTD with less than 10,000 miles (and still covered under the balance of factory warranty/maintenance).
      12-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #24
spiff
The Dr
Rep
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S

335:
New look, great performance, and will give the E46 M3 a run for it's money. BUT...trying to give an M3 a run for it's money will put you in a bad situation if the Limp Mode/Turbo Issue proceeds. Also, the 335 has no LSD...so..yeah-

E46 M3:
333HP Exciting HP, LSD, Great stock everything, and an absolutely gorgeous motor. Yes, it the look of it may seem out-dated to some, but honestly I still think it looks way better then a lot of the cars on the road today; not to mention the E46 M3(imho) is still the benchmark sports car.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #25
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #26
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

buy my M3! and put $17k in your pocket!!!

( I vote M3)
      01-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #27
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Renting Corolla lol

im planning the same thing, but almost 50K for an E46 M3 is way too much considering which cars have come out and are coming out. i figured i dont need such a new model like the 2006, i'm looking for a 2004 with low mileage, under 50,000 kilometers (im canadian). and i've seen one's selling for mid 30K. all the advertisements list M3 at around 40K+, if people were buying them, they wouldnt be listed. but there's no demand for the M3 at that price, so that means they'll be forced to sell at a lower price. that's the good thing about buying used cars. if you look more, you'll find a model with low mileage in the mid 30K, at most i would consider paying is just under 40K. i dont know how you came to consider such a high priced car. the prices in the states are so much lower than in canada it pisses me off. i'll be searching on the internet, find so many low prices, and realize they're all american. then i search canadian listings, and they're all 10k more expensive. just look on ebay to see what the competitive prices are. and once those dont sell at those high prices, the next listing will be cheaper. M3 looks more like a rugged speed machine that'll tear up the road, while 335i looks sleeker and would fit more into a futuristic sci-fi movie.

M3(manual)>335i any day.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #28
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizfiend View Post
im planning the same thing, but almost 50K for an E46 M3 is way too much considering which cars have come out and are coming out. i figured i dont need such a new model like the 2006, i'm looking for a 2004 with low mileage, under 50,000 kilometers (im canadian). and i've seen one's selling for mid 30K. all the advertisements list M3 at around 40K+, if people were buying them, they wouldnt be listed. but there's no demand for the M3 at that price, so that means they'll be forced to sell at a lower price. that's the good thing about buying used cars. if you look more, you'll find a model with low mileage in the mid 30K, at most i would consider paying is just under 40K. i dont know how you came to consider such a high priced car. the prices in the states are so much lower than in canada it pisses me off. i'll be searching on the internet, find so many low prices, and realize they're all american. then i search canadian listings, and they're all 10k more expensive. just look on ebay to see what the competitive prices are. and once those dont sell at those high prices, the next listing will be cheaper. M3 looks more like a rugged speed machine that'll tear up the road, while 335i looks sleeker and would fit more into a futuristic sci-fi movie.

M3(manual)>335i any day.
why not swing down and pic up a used one here in the USA. I met someone a few months ago that comes down and buys a used porsche here and drives it a bit and then sells it up there.
      02-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #29
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
voted M3.

M3 - unique opportunity to still buy this car with this kind of mileage. it is also an end of great I-6 era and last year of production. it will depreciate slower, especially as years go by.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 03:31 AM   #30
DarkSyde
Rep
Drives: Want: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
It depends what you want. If you want more comfort, go for the 335i. If you want more of a performance vehicle, then the M3 is the way to go. There's more to driving than 0 - 60.

And honestly, I'm quite surprised with the replies so far. We're on an M board, and several of the replies so far are in reference to asthetics.

Personally, I'd go for the M. Although this one does seem to be priced a little high.
Same.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #31
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

im selling my m3 for holla at me. it has more options and 23k miles. lemme know. oh its an 06
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #32
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

First of all.. I wouldn't pay 47k for any used e46 m3.. Find some better deals, there are some good finds for under 25kmiles that are under 40k. You have to really dig for them though.

Anyways, If it was a week ago, I would have said a E46 M3 before I test drove once again (My best friend had a e46 m3 that i drove on a weekly basis before he sold it about half a year ago). Take the 335. Its newer, much more refined, better engineering and technology. Bottom line, its newer, more recent which means better thoughts have gone into every aspect of the car (assuming that bmw hails their 3-series as one of the most important models).

Either way though, drive one for yourself and make your decision. I can't really see you dispointed in each. They're both seriously nice cars
      02-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #33
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
First of all.. I wouldn't pay 47k for any used e46 m3.. Find some better deals, there are some good finds for under 25kmiles that are under 40k. You have to really dig for them though.

Anyways, If it was a week ago, I would have said a E46 M3 before I test drove once again (My best friend had a e46 m3 that i drove on a weekly basis before he sold it about half a year ago). Take the 335. Its newer, much more refined, better engineering and technology. Bottom line, its newer, more recent which means better thoughts have gone into every aspect of the car (assuming that bmw hails their 3-series as one of the most important models).

Either way though, drive one for yourself and make your decision. I can't really see you dispointed in each. They're both seriously nice cars
you are right, but the bottom line is we are comparing apples and oranges. e46 3-series drives completely different from e46 m3, as will be the case with e9X.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #34
ROCKSTAR M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3 Jet Black

I just spent some time on this thread and see everyone's suggestions and thoughts..

I'm a new owner of a E46 M3 just picked it up a few weeks ago, 06 with around 8000 miles on it and one of my good friend also picked up a 335i at the same time

We both came from heavily modded Jap cars and both love the BMW now. But I personally prefer the E46 M3 more just because it gives you more of a race car feel, car also drives a lot more solid at corners and so on... However, the 335i IS more modern, more driver friendly features and such..

I guess at the end of the day, just depends on what the driver is looking for, and then look for a good deal.

just my 2 cents

ROCKSTAR
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #35
tim-m3
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 SMG

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago! Both cars are amazing, but it comes down to what you personally want (as it has already been said).

The M3 is much more RAW, and that exhaust noise at high revs is unbeatable! Its handling is much better and it generally feels like a 'race' car. I really love the look of the M3. It doesnt look like a normal e46, and has a really mean look to it! The power bulge on the bonnet, and those wide wheel arches create quite a presence!

The 335i on the other hand, is more refined and luxurious. Performance wise they are both very similar (just search youtube: 335i vs M3), but the performance from the twin turbos generate a different experience than the M3 (both equally good, just different). The interior styling is fresher as well. The 335i in my opinion is more subtle in styling in terms of presence and aggression. Very beautiful car, but much more understated than a M3.

If you are young and enjoy driving, I would go for an M3. If you are more conservative and would like to drive a more comfortable and civilized car, go with the 335i. Just my 2 cents as I had the same decision to make....and guess what I choose!?
Appreciate 0