BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

05-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Rev your car more often to get rid of carbon buildup.

If you have carbon buildup, it means you aren't driving your car hard enough. (pampering your car too much)
that does not work with DI cars, see the bmw thread on n54 tech
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
It's the principle. When I had my S4 and my RS4 I had these carbon build up problems. I even had the text-book scenario (sporadic check engine light). I would propose the problem to Audi and every time they told me "it corrected itself, there isn't anything we can do." That, to me, is incompetence. With BMW, when I had the shift knob problem they took it in and replaced it; they didn't give me the run around. I have yet to have any problems since.
Where I live it's the other way around Bmw service just sucks...all of the dealership sucks in province of Quebec. While Audi has excellent service.I sold my 1er to buy an M3 but didn't pull the trigger yet because of Bmw poor issues with service(I had to flatbed the car for HPFP)...I was getting the answer well come back in 2 weeks....What is that the thing was not drivable......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
It's the principle. When I had my S4 and my RS4 I had these carbon build up problems. I even had the text-book scenario (sporadic check engine light). I would propose the problem to Audi and every time they told me "it corrected itself, there isn't anything we can do." That, to me, is incompetence. With BMW, when I had the shift knob problem they took it in and replaced it; they didn't give me the run around. I have yet to have any problems since.
Well I would agree on this part I guess. Audi flat out refuses to acknowledge any problem until the part in question is inoperable. I had a huge problem with dipped headlights on my old A4 (HID constantly flickering on and off) and I took it to the dealer 4 times. Unfortunately they only flickered the first 5 minutes the car was on and only under acceleration so their response every time was "could not duplicate issue" or something. One time the passenger side flickered and then just remained off and I drove straight to the dealer and told them to shove their "could not duplicate issue" right up their ass and they replaced both headlights and both ballasts.

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #26
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Most supplier deny everything when they don't have a cure, just look at the issues we all had with the M-DCT, dealers and BMW themself denying that there was anything wrong and that the lag, etc was all normal behaviour. Everything is looked on what the cost of recall compared to the number that will actually complaint, sure there are times when recalls are completely necessary like what happened with the first Audi TT when a very prompt fix was found, but this carboning up issue here is nowhere near as bad as some are suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
And yet the lag issue in the M-DCT has taken close on 18 months for BMW to get under control.

Basically what I am trying to say is that may be some problems take longer to cure and can cause more of a problem for the manufacturer than others and you have to always remember that every DI engine regardless of the manufacturer had these problems, not just VAG. Also in VAG's defense the latest information from Audi is that the latest FSI engines are problem free.

But the weird thing is that I have driven DI equipped cars for quite a few years with the longest single period of 3yrs at 38,000miles and it never had an issue of carbon build up. Maybe I was very lucky.
at least BMW didnt ignore the issue and addressed it...I cant say Audi did the same for many of their issues. I dont know if it was isolated to my dealership, but service was terrible at best.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #28
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Mix this with the gas..

05-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
Mix this with the gas..

:facepalm:

its not the injectors thats the problem, its carbon buildup in the intake manifold, that cleaner wont work.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #30
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Stop this crap. We all know Audi builds better engines than BMW. Just admit this.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #31
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Stop this crap. We all know Audi builds better engines than BMW. Just admit this.
Not sure if serious.....
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #32
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Is there any symptoms to tell if there is a big build up of carbon without tearing the engine apart?
check engine lights. loss of power. rough cold starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
Mix this with the gas..

additives will not work. read through the treads linked in the opening post.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0