BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

03-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #45
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztiks View Post
Buy one, drive it than you can discuss whatever the magazines say. It is not real world. The numbers will ultimately change. I like all fast cars and have owned soooo many makes and models including some of the fastest American cars according to magazines. Viper, vette..svo all went through my hands. I'm one that was caught up in all the magazine hype until I drove them for myself. I can't wait to test drive one , than I will give my honest opinion of what it is. For now some of you people need to understand that this is a BMW forum.

What exactly isn't "real world" about taking the car out to the drag strip and ripping off those times?! It's as real as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #46
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
For now some of you people need to understand that this is a BMW forum.
Actually it isnt. This is the general automotive(non-bmw) talk forum.

And why is it that BMW fans cant like other brands. I really dont understand this blindness that BMW owners have to the quality of the modern american car.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #47
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Buy one, drive it than you can discuss whatever the magazines say. It is not real world. The numbers will ultimately change. I like all fast cars and have owned soooo many makes and models including some of the fastest American cars according to magazines. Viper, vette..svo all went through my hands. I'm one that was caught up in all the magazine hype until I drove them for myself. I can't wait to test drive one , than I will give my honest opinion of what it is. For now some of you people need to understand that this is a BMW forum.

Maybe you need to check this specific forums title.

If you have had sooo many American muscle cars go through your hands and seemingly disappointed with them, why did you keep buying them? Or are you just saying you test drove them and did not like them?

The mags said they were great so you bought them w/o driving? Confusing set of statements.

Please clarify.

Last edited by gonzo; 03-30-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #48
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

Not what I meant by the comment. I meant it in a way to say that some may put the Mustang down or any other make simply because this is a BMW forum, I am not...I said I like all cars and will only give judgement after I actually drive it. Ford seems to be making extreme progress , good for them. Nothing wrong with that. Capeesh?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #49
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Maybe you need to check this specific forums title.

If you have had sooo many American muscle cars go through your hands and seemingly disappointed with them, why did you keep buying them? Or are you just saying you test drove them and did not like them?

The mags said they were great so you bought them w/o driving? Confusing set of statements.

Please clarify.
I purchased them all new, and at the time they were some of the fastest . If memory serves me right, 1990 zr1, 1997 viper and 1984 svo. Yes I am an old man ;( in those days, you could not drive any of those cars on a curve or press on the gas on a straight without losing control. Times have changed and the progress made by Ford, Chevy is amazing. I was basically young and courageous but scared to ___ by memories on how they drove...lol .

Last edited by oztiks; 03-30-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #50
BU Z4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Big & Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
modern american car.
It should be either modern car or american car. They won't work together!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #51
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Well, Ford was notorious for overrating the V8 'Stangs in the past, in both the displacement and HP departments IIRC.

This isn't true anymore, and hasn't been for a while. It's amazing how hard some people hold onto these things....

It's good to see American automakers making good, fast cars.... And they're doing it with less compromises with each generation. I do believe, although their refinement and certain techs (such as IRS) are still behind someone like BMW (albeit at a much lower price point), the performace gap has been shut (straight line and track).

Another thing about those cars is the communities that come with them.... Sure you get your fair share of mulletts and Bud Light, but you also get a lot more gearheads, and a lot fewer stuck up, blind fanboy pricks. I personally enjoy a conversation with others surrounding cars, what goes in them, performance, etc... rather than how much better you are because of the badge on your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #52
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well, Ford was notorious for overrating the V8 'Stangs in the past, in both the displacement and HP departments IIRC.

This isn't true anymore, and hasn't been for a while. It's amazing how hard some people hold onto these things....

It's good to see American automakers making good, fast cars.... And they're doing it with less compromises with each generation. I do believe, although their refinement and certain techs (such as IRS) are still behind someone like BMW (albeit at a much lower price point), the performace gap has been shut (straight line and track).

Another thing about those cars is the communities that come with them.... Sure you get your fair share of mulletts and Bud Light, but you also get a lot more gearheads, and a lot fewer stuck up, blind fanboy pricks. I personally enjoy a conversation with others surrounding cars, what goes in them, performance, etc... rather than how much better you are because of the badge on your car.

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #53
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

Another thing about those cars is the communities that come with them.... Sure you get your fair share of mulletts and Bud Light, but you also get a lot more gearheads, and a lot fewer stuck up, blind fanboy pricks. I personally enjoy a conversation with others surrounding cars, what goes in them, performance, etc... rather than how much better you think you are because of the badge on your car.
Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #54
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU Z4 View Post
It should be either modern car or american car. They won't work together!
Wow two posts in the same thread that prove you're an idiot. Wanna go for 3?

These cars drive great, ride great, are well built, have been very competetive against the M3s in road racing, have good interiors and outstanding power and fuel mileage. All at a great price. Unless you're an excessively ignorant BMW fanboi, you have to be able to appreciate what's been accomplished here. You can still like what you like, but being insulting about Mustangs, Ford, or American cars in general at this point simply shows you to be ignorant.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #55
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I purchased them all new, and at the time they were some of the fastest . If memory serves me right, 1990 zr1, 1997 viper and 1984 svo. Yes I am an old man ;( in those days, you could not drive any of those cars on a curve or press on the gas on a straight without losing control. Times have changed and the progress made by Ford, Chevy is amazing. I was basically young and courageous but scared to ___ by memories on how they drove...lol .

Older here too.

Yes, those are/were very "lively" to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #56
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

No comments...

BMW For Life...

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #57
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
No comments...

BMW For Life...
So why are you posting?

Given how docile and expensive my 335i is, I'll look at this car in the future... or hopefully a Scirocco R if they ever come here.
      03-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #58
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
No comments...

BMW For Life...
2010 Alpine White, Read leather, Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

If wish my old M3 would have come with read leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #59
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Incoming GT500's $57,700 with every option.
If you want a fast mustang I would buy the GT500, no? You could find a slightly used one <10k miles for 50k or so and throw a aftermarket charger and heat exchanger good for 650rwhp.

American muscle is always faster than BMW straight line unless were talking M5 which is 500hp. LS3, GT500, C6 Z06, FGT, now the 5.0 all pretty quick straight line. LS3 and M5 probably even in a drag race eh? Wait till the new M3 comes out see how fast it is. I would buy a new M3 if it is Twin turbo and 500hp.

Also I am sure someone will make another thread when the ring results come back. I would be surprised if the 5.0 could come real close to the M3 since that is what it was designed for.

Last edited by Htown09; 03-30-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #60
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

also read somewhere that this motor(5.0) was built to easily upgrade to direct injection and forced induction(turbos,supercharger) at the factory.i'm not a fan of domestic cars,but this is one impressive motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #61
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
also read somewhere that this motor(5.0) was built to easily upgrade to direct injection and forced induction(turbos,supercharger) at the factory.i'm not a fan of domestic cars,but this is one impressive motor.
This motor was designed to replace the old 5.4 for gt500 duty...that's why the forced induction procedures were undertaken

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #62
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

As great as it is performance wise, I wish US manufactures would spend more time on the interior. The whole 'heritage' look doesn't work. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #63
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
As great as it is performance wise, I wish US manufactures would spend more time on the interior. The whole 'heritage' look doesn't work. IMO.
You have a 1, with some of the most obviously awkward transitions I've ever seen on an interior. I normally don't really give a crap about the car's interior as long as it's easy to get around and somewhat intuitive. I don't normally rub my face along the dash unless I've accidenatlly ingested LSD.

The retro thing will be hit and miss, and will be totally subjective. They obviously aren't trying to steal dash-stroking BMW owners with the Stang or the Maro. They have their very own market segment that does just fine.

BTW, I recently drove the new CTS-V and I'd have to say that there's no interior offered by BMW that can touch it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #64
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If every interior looked like my 335' did I would buy a scooter for urban and a cruiser for travel.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #65
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

My first car in 92 was 91 5.0 and I had it for 10 years. loved the car but yes it was pile with bad brakes and bad suspension. Cheap to make it go fast though. It was not hard to get it pump out over 600hp. I then had an 03 cobra for 4 years and loved it as well. I went to BMW for a big change but next year I may go back to Ford once the crazyness of the 2011 fades off and allthe tarded buyers that will spend 5-10k more for the car to get it early are gone. By then there will be plenty of performance mods.

The only thing I wonder is how the internals are going to hold up since most of fords cars use Powdered metal rods and cast cranks with those horrible hypereutectic pistons that cant handle much boost or power. These are the ways I knwo Ford can afford to build these engines and not spend a lot on the quality. The only reason I got the 03 Cobra is because it was an all Forged bottom end and very strong cast iron block that can handle big boost and power levels.

I am going to wait and see if these new 5.0's can stand up to some punishment before buying.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #66
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Do they have it at the lots yet? I'm going down right now to test drive one...m3 track performance, 1 series pricing, 7k rpm american v8...sounds too good

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0