BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Almost killed myself in my M3: Ambien, M3's and wheel rash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay 1st of all...let me say I am lucky to be alive! Someone must have been watching out for me and also BIG thanks to all the subliminal driving skills that my wife says the BMW M school guys down at Greenville, SC must have downloaded to my brain (I think I already had the skill set...they just improved it). Anyway here's what happened!

Yesterday afternoon allergies were bad here in Baltimore so I took what I thought was a sudafed to help clear me up while I headed back to DC to work a shift at the Urgent Care clinic I sometimes work at. On the way once I recall remembering not falling asleep but finding myself 1/2 to 1/3 way on the other side of the media (the wrong side) driving. Corrected myself and got back in my lane but wondered WTF and continued on. Made one stop to get something to eat and look at some fish and then headed on. Now around Laurel MD I recall driving and following the navigation directions but not clearly remembering much of the trip. Am not sure WHAT route I was on (that is how bad this was) but next thing I remember clearly is that I am driving quickly past alot of cars on my left that are either slowed or stopped and on my right is either a wall, wall of trees, or BOTH and I am in the dirt/shoulder/something! I quickly moved left and took an offramp/turn (again not sure which) and pulled over and stopped. Stumbled out of my car (again remember saying to myself WTF is wrong with me) and checked the car thinking oh my god I've just scrapped the entire passanger side of the M3). Well to my suprise/relief the left side body work was clear; no marks other than SEVERE wheel rash on the right front wheel and some on the rear wheel. I remember getting back into my car calling my wife on bluetooth and telling her what was going on but not sure who called who (she says I called her). Anyway I headed off on the Beltway to the clinic and recall following the Nav but really not knowing where I was scenery looked strange (I've driven this same route 100,000 times too guys) but I got to the center 10-15 mins later. Driving normally more cautious I guess more alerted now.

Anyway am 5 mins late for my shift but know now something is wrong...so we go to the pharmacy to talk to the pharmacist as being an MD I know it possibly was the pill I'd taken earlier which I still had some with me. 10 min later, he comes back and tells me that it was Ambien I had taken and NOT Sudafed! Explanation now resolved as now I know why I was so sedated and amnestic for the past 2hrs and almost killed myself (and my M3) on the way there. For those who don't know (I am already familiar with Ambien's side effect profile); Ambien can cause besides sedation/sleep which is it's primary role; amnesia events, sleep walking, and other things where individuals have reported doing such things as going places (i.e. work) and not knowing why or how they go there and other events that they themselves don't remember. Folks who see them feel they are acting normally but I think in actuality they are operating on a subliminal more basic level or awareness. Anyway 3.5 hrs and 1-2 IV's of fluid and some coffee later I was okay enough to drive home and released by my collegues...oh I didn't work that shift or see any patients either.

Fortunately I didn't hurt myself or anybody else but this could have tragically been different! So my MAIN message in this post is; Ambien and other sleep aides that are commonly prescribed out there by MD's (being one who's written such Rx's) can have uknown and ill effects on you. Be VERY careful with them and how they are stored and taken and BY ALL MEANS do not attempt to drive in close proximity of taking them! This is my public safety message here for all of you and if you are driving your M3's or anything else and feel impaired stop and pull over. I should have done it when I had my close encounter with whatever gave me the wheel rash but did not as it took me until I arrived at the clinic 10-15mins later to really figure out that I had a major problem going on! So also know your limits as well guys.

Finally...I know it is an M3 forum and you guys care primarily about the cars right? (hope that's not fully the case) but anywhere here is the pics of the wheel taken with my camera phone...how do you repair the wheel rash or would a replacement be in order? Front wheel rash is fully around the rim it seems so not sure how much can be fixed. Tires are Continental ContiSport 3 and are intact and okay so I'd remount them and wheel sensors. Anyway here's the pics of the wheels and a overall pic of the car (before this occured)

Thoughts (and criticism) are welcome! But I hope this post helps/saves someones else too then its worth it! My wife has taken custody of the Ambien by the way and we have found and verified my Rx Allegra presciption and properly labled the packet which was what had occured with the Ambien which had illegible labeling which is why it was taken in error!

So what you think guys/gals REPAIR or REPLACE?
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Wow, glad you're okay.

How much is a replacement? Is that one of the VM wheels? I'd probably just replace it if the wheel is ~$300. It's got a lot of rash. Is it bent?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Just curious, I'm a pharmacist. How did you mistaken ambien for sudafed? Sudafed usually comes in blister packs and ambien, in a bottle.... Glad you're ok, wheels can be easily replaced!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Glad you're okay!

I also put curb rash on one of my rear wheel, but without the drama you had to deal with.

There's plenty of wheel repairs in the DC/MD area... wheel worx, rim doctor, ye ole wheel shop.

For me, I went with Rod at National Wheel repair (800-710-2368). He uses a CNC machine to cut a new surface layer, which is good with my stock 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Shake-N-Bake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

Sucks about the wheels but they can be replaced. Glad to hear you made it out ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
herosfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80Cx, 1988 BMW M5

yikes...just took an ambien last night! glad you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Wow!!! Well, great to hear your OK.
      07-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: R56 Cooper S

Wow! That's either the craziest driving story I've ever heard or a clever way to cover the fact that you rashed your wheel while parking. Just kidding Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Wheel repair -- you'll never notice the difference when they're done.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Drugs doesn't mix too well when driving. But it could be worse man.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

repair should be a piece of cake to fix... Glad your ok thats the most important thing
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Yep, I use a combo of sedative hypnotics for some of my patients. They're not allowed to drive for 24 hrs though. Glad you're okay, but a good reminder for all of us that the meds we take can have disastrous effects on our ability to operate vehicles.
      07-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I had issues with Ambien also. Woke up one morning after taking the night before and my big toe really hurt and was swelled up like I had really slammed it into something, almost like it was broken. I thought WTF, how could I hurt my toe sleeping. Then I looked in the mirror... I was clean shaven! OMG! I hadn't shaved my mustache or beard off in years. It's not something I was even thinking about doing. It's not something I would have done on a whim and forgot about it. So, apparently, with absolutely no memory of it, I had gotten up, slammed my toe into something, and shaved (and who knows what else) all without waking up. First thing I did then was go look in the garage to see if my car was where I had left it... it was. Whew.
Lesson learned; don't wash my Ambien down with a large cocktail. In any case, I switched to Lunesta and haven't had any problems for a couple of years now.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
(.......talk to the pharmacist as being an MD I know......) and it took you that long to figure out that there something is wrong with you....you need to take your USMLE again....Next time take Allegra-D 12 hr...it looks differnt than Ambien
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Wheel repair -- you'll never notice the difference when they're done.
+1. A good shop will salvage them - not that bad. Glad the OP doesn't need any work!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Wow, glad you're okay.

How much is a replacement? Is that one of the VM wheels? I'd probably just replace it if the wheel is ~$300. It's got a lot of rash. Is it bent?
Great product...VMR 710 took whatever abuse without any damage other than the rash. Not bent that I can tell although I am no expert. Will try to get a quote on a replacement but I think it should run around $200-300 for a front right 19" wheel. Rear has about 2" of rash but is otherwise intact..so it may be worth saving I think/keeping.

Anyone with experience resurfacing wheels? Cost? Time frame? I'll ask my buds in the NorthEast M3 world next! LOL

Yes I am happy to be alive and typing!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
Just curious, I'm a pharmacist. How did you mistaken ambien for sudafed? Sudafed usually comes in blister packs and ambien, in a bottle.... Glad you're ok, wheels can be easily replaced!
Hi Chitown...I am military Md and sometimes we separate our meds for easier use when flying missions and out in the field. Easier to carry in the confined spaces we sometimes fly/work in. So I believe that is how the mix up occured...I just grabbed a packet from my "go back" and ran out the door as last I had remembered the only things in there were Sudafed, Allegra, and Imodium! Wish it had definately been one of the other two meds for sure.

Just glad to be here tho right about now!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony @ eas View Post
Wow! That's either the craziest driving story I've ever heard or a clever way to cover the fact that you rashed your wheel while parking. Just kidding Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Anthony...thanks but no shyt it is a true story! One I wish I didn't have to repeat but as a hlth professional I know how frequently prescribed Ambien is which is also why I told the story to you guys. On another note; I may need a new wheel; can you PM me a price & shipping quote on a 19" wheel (front) for en e92 coupe WMR 710 in gunmetal please!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
(.......talk to the pharmacist as being an MD I know......) and it took you that long to figure out that there something is wrong with you....you need to take your USMLE again....Next time take Allegra-D 12 hr...it looks differnt than Ambien
I know how that reads...I knew something was wrong and highly suspected the Rx I had taken a few hours earlier but when I couldn't find it in the PDR and the package didn't help that's when I went to the pharmacist for an ID! Usually I do take Allegra D (its two toned in color and easily id'd I know) but was out of that and just had regular Allegra 180mg which is an ubiqitous all white pill as you know. Thanks but no more USMLE's for me nor re-take of my recent specialty boards was enough for the next 7 yrs!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Anyone with experience resurfacing wheels? Cost? Time frame? I'll ask my buds in the NorthEast M3 world next! LOL

Yes I am happy to be alive and typing!
If there is a line to break the repair at the outside rim, it makes things easy (and less expensive). With the spokes continuing into the outer rim, it may be slightly more difficult. I think my shop (Skip's Wheel Werks, Beaverton) would charge $150-175/wheel, and they would be perfect.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
What about strength? Would a repaired wheel be less strong that the original cast allow? Future Autocross or track work a no-no on a repaired rim?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

from what i know, and i know real cheap wheel repair guys, id just get a new one for a few more bucks. Its a VMR wheel right? Not expensive.
Appreciate 0