BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

How's the 7 speed Dual Clutch Trans?

BMW has a lot of different technologies and one that interests me is the 7 speed Dual Clutch Trans.

It seems like it's the best of both worlds, but after reading some of the comments in articles regarding the M6 SMG, it concerns me a little bit.

I'm assuming the reason they went to dual clutches is to avoid the problem with harsh shifting.

The other thing I've read was the M6 SMG get's a little muddled (annoying) in stop and go traffic. Does the DCT suffer from that issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

DCT probably does get annoying in traffic since it doesn't creep forward like most automatics. A small price to pay for fast shift times
      06-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post
DCT probably does get annoying in traffic since it doesn't creep forward like most automatics.
      06-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
It does creep forward?

And I thought that the clutch engagement would take too long for you to get going(from what I saw on videos). If I'm wrong, I'll just shut up now lol
      06-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Thanks for the comment.

I found this thread on DCT and am getting an education.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=276978&page=1

My sense is I'll really like then DCT. I drove manual transmissions years ago and don't have a great love for a clutch peddle but would like to control my shifts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
DCT probably does get annoying in traffic since it doesn't creep forward like most automatics. A small price to pay for fast shift times
Uh...actually DCT is better than an automatic or manual in stop and go traffic because you do NOT have to keep your foot on the brake when you are stationary. And it only takes a slight tap of the gas pedal to get the car moving. The car does NOT creep forward if you are completely stationary. Similarly in Reverse, the car does not move backward, until you press the gas pedal to get the car's momentum going.

But as for answering the OP's question, I recommend the DCT and would not get the manual. Once you master the "art of the lag" and learn how to drive the car without it lagging while slowing down, it's good to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
actually mine will creep sometimes. but not always. it likes to keep me guessing
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Uh...actually DCT is better than an automatic or manual in stop and go traffic because you do NOT have to keep your foot on the brake when you are stationary. And it only takes a slight tap of the gas pedal to get the car moving.

But as for answering the OP's question, I recommend the DCT and would not get the manual. Once you master the "art of the lag" and learn how to drive the car without it lagging while slowing down, it's good to me.
Yeah, that seems better now that I think of it. I'll go back to my slushbox X5
      06-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
it's good, how are you? thanks for asking
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
actually mine will creep sometimes. but not always. it likes to keep me guessing
If you just lightly tap the gas pedal from a stop it should start to creep.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
bmwrocket
Grigs
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 White M3 Coupe - sld

dct is just plain awesome... nothing like gunning it with shifts that do not lurch you forward.. but actually push you into your seat further and further!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Aaargh!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
It will only creep on a release of the brake if you did not come to a definitive complete stop just before. Otherwise, it will remain stopped when you release the brake and then requires a very light tap on the gas to get going again.

As someone else pointed out, it is actually better than an auto because you don't have to put your foot on the brake to keep the car still, but you still do get the ability to creep with the engine at idle speed. In fact, it will let you creep in either first or second gear also, so you get to pick the speed at which you move. Its really pretty nice and very easy to use.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Yeah, that seems better now that I think of it. I'll go back to my slushbox X5
Have you even driven a DCT ?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It will only creep on a release of the brake if you did not come to a definitive complete stop just before. Otherwise, it will remain stopped when you release the brake and then requires a very light tap on the gas to get going again.

As someone else pointed out, it is actually better than an auto because you don't have to put your foot on the brake to keep the car still, but you still do get the ability to creep with the engine at idle speed. In fact, it will let you creep in either first or second gear also, so you get to pick the speed at which you move. Its really pretty nice and very easy to use.
+1 Could not agree more. Although the DCT is not free of issues, the stop/go performance as you describe is one of the better features of the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #16
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Absolutely...and if you drive in S1 you can even fit in a bit of heel and toe on the downshifts for extra "involvement".
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

DCT FTW !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

3 weeks with DCT, and I am loving it. No regrets, despite always enjoying manual transmissions on my sportscars in the past.

I have no lag issues.

Its perfect.
      07-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
BMW has a lot of different technologies and one that interests me is the 7 speed Dual Clutch Trans.

It seems like it's the best of both worlds, but after reading some of the comments in articles regarding the M6 SMG, it concerns me a little bit.

I'm assuming the reason they went to dual clutches is to avoid the problem with harsh shifting.

The other thing I've read was the M6 SMG get's a little muddled (annoying) in stop and go traffic. Does the DCT suffer from that issue?
I have not driven the M6 SMG but did have the M3 SMG II. There is a huge difference between SMG and DCT with the DCT being much smoother. I would characterize the DCT as being as smooth as an auto, but shifting much faster and crisper than any auto I've driven; even the IS-F (which is pretty darn good for an auto).

In sequential (S or manual shifting) mode and really accelerating hard the SMG was brilliant since it shifted very fast. When not accelerating all out -- which is the majority of the time -- it would be a "rocky" (for lack of a better word) shift if you didn't subtly modulate the throttle. In auto you could not anticipate accurately enough when it would shift so you couldn't modulate the throttle and all the shifts (except when going all out) were "rocky". Consequently, I and most of the folks I knew that had SMG, travelled almost 100% in S mode and learned to modulate the throttle.

In traffic it was better than a manual since you didn't have to keep your left foot bouncing on a clutch pedal. It wasn't as good as a real auto in traffic, but not really too far off. From what I've heard, the M6 SMG III is a bit better to live with than the SMG II.

The DCT is better than the SMG in almost every respect. Think of all the good things about and an automatic tranny and a manual (or SMG) and put them together. That's the DCT. When I test drove it in its harshest mode (S5 with DSC on) I felt that it was as smooth as any auto I've driven and shifts even faster than the SMG (which is faster than I could ever shift a manual). I would not hesitate to get one for my wife (which was the reason I got the SMG in the E46 M3).

As for the cons of DCT: it adds something like 45 lbs. (SMG added only 13 lbs.) over the 6 speed manual transmission. But then, you're getting an extra gear . There is also a problem in certain situations where the clutch doesn't take up immediately. Search for "DCT lag" here to find out. Much has been written about. It may be fixed now with the latest DCT software, but I can't say for sure.

I like shifting manually and don't really care which transmission I get -- either manual or DCT -- but I am not sure if the extra $ is worth it for the DCT. I will probably get the manual because I may have more fun playing with it than the DCT. (But I'm not sure yet.) If you want an auto and think the DCT will be too harsh, like the SMG, then don't worry and just get the DCT; it is better than an auto.

Cheers.
      07-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I broke my left ankle on both the fibula and tibia and took my achilles tendon out to top it off in an accident almost two years ago. Plantar flexion with effort is something foreign to me now. I had no choice but to get the DCT transmission on my 09 E92 M3. The shifts are smooth and seamless on the tamer settings and can be aggressive if you push it. Although it is in the forefront of automotive technology, there is not one day that goes by where I don't miss driving manual. I sometimes catch myself thinking how it would be like to have MT instead of DCT ever so often.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #21
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS14 View Post
Have you even driven a DCT ?
Nope, only SMG so far. DCT hopefully soon!
      07-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #22
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

oneginee, if you are this worked up about something you don't even own, how can you be so judgemental about your supposed physcological opinions on why others have a different opinion than you.
In my opinion, you're a little over the top here. I'm just not sure why someone would get their panties in such a wad over something that doesn't concern them. I'm constantly amazed at how many people chime in about the DCT who don't even drive one.
I drive mine every day, to work, to the grocery store, short road trips, long road trips, and spent yesterday at the track. At the track, the car was flawless. I don't lose any sleep over this lag thing. I've experienced it a couple of times, am aware of it, and just kind of drive around it, just like any other imperfection a car may have, (and they all have some). But even that is so rare, I can easily go for days or weeks without even being in a situation where I need to concern myself with it. I hope it gets fixed, but when and if they have an update, I wouldn't even make an appointment specifically for that. They could just take care of it at my next scheduled service... that's how much it bothers me. In any case, I certainly don't regret my choice.
Appreciate 0