BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I can confirm. At a certain speed and above it does nothing.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #24
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
there's a certain speed where the car will turn off. Idk what it is but its very slow. When I pull up and park somewhere, sometimes I hit the button to turn off the car and coast into my spot but it won't let me untill I'm almost stopped. So I don't think it will happen on the freeway.
I have 6MT btw
      06-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #25
Jdebitjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans

I wouldn't press it. I don't want to win a Darwin Award.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #26
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
Ok, let me confirm that it does shut down the engine at all speeds, but with the clutch in. My previous 335 was having massive engine problems and I have reset the limp mode several times which running at speed. The key is the clutch. With it out, the car will not turn off. With the clutch in, it will.

I don't know how Automoatic cars behave as I don't have one. I would assume that if you put it in neutral, it would do the same thing.
This actually makes the most sense, for manual cars. So the jury is still out for DCT or automatic it seems.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #27
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
if while at speed, and you press the engine on/off button, will your engine shut off? I've been wondering this myself for a while, and I've also been asked this.

Does anyone know what will happen, or been crazy enough to try it?
I wonder if this guy tried pushing the button.....hmmmm...

06-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #28
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I can confirm that at highway speeds with a DCT car the button does nothing. I had the pleasure of riding with a friend who couldn't keep his hands off the button to confirm when we were talking about it with me driving.

So I had an Infiniti EX35 for a few months and decided to try the same. Pressing it once did absolutely nothing. Tapping it twice really fast though would shut the car down!!! That was fun trying to pull to the side of the road to start it again with cars coming behind me. So I have decided to not try the fast tapping with the M3. Anybody wants to do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #29
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

It tried today in a 1 series with manual gear(Clutch down) with 70 km/h and that did turn off after holding the button for app 3-5 secs. A quick press did nothing.

Next step I will try it in the DCT nice knowning if you have reason for doing it one day.

(probaly have put it in nuetral before it will turn off but I will try).

Last edited by nitramsen; 06-24-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #30
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
I can confirm that at highway speeds with a DCT car the button does nothing. I had the pleasure of riding with a friend who couldn't keep his hands off the button to confirm when we were talking about it with me driving.

So I had an Infiniti EX35 for a few months and decided to try the same. Pressing it once did absolutely nothing. Tapping it twice really fast though would shut the car down!!! That was fun trying to pull to the side of the road to start it again with cars coming behind me. So I have decided to not try the fast tapping with the M3. Anybody wants to do it?
So at highway speeds on a dct. Pushing the on/off wont throw the car into park?

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #31
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
So at highway speeds on a dct. Pushing the on/off wont throw the car into park?
It didn't mine! Nothing happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #32
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

It would make sense that a DCT car bahaves the same as a auto car and may not allow you to turn it off at speed unless in neutral. On the manual car, the clutch has to be in and you have to hold the button down for several seconds, not just a quick push.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #33
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

DCT cars may require you to have your foot on the brake in order to switch off the engine while moving...you can't put a DCT into neutral while moving if the engine is under load.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

good question!
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #35
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989baby View Post
there's a certain speed where the car will turn off. Idk what it is but its very slow. When I pull up and park somewhere, sometimes I hit the button to turn off the car and coast into my spot but it won't let me untill I'm almost stopped. So I don't think it will happen on the freeway.
I have 6MT btw
Ditto. I do this at the track to avoid applying the brakes after a session and rolling to a stop. The car will not shut off till almost stopped.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #36
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next step, hold button down for 3-5 seconds. If that doesn't work, tap twice really fast
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #37
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

I decided to make one more test in my 1 series with manual before going over to the DCT and I am happy I did.

I held the button down with 60 km/h without using the clutch and the car turned off after a few seconds. It broke out on the rear immediately so thank god I had a clutch to catch it (I turned it back on with about 30km/h with the clutch down)…….

After turning off the car when I got home after my little test I got an error on the steering lock. The error message turned off after ejecting the key and putting it back in.

This was enough testing for me and I know now that a 1 Series manual EU model will easily turn off at 60 km/h with or without clutching and contrary to my previous statement I will not test this in a DCT for my own security. I think that a DCT will turn off but will it go to neutral (Probably judging by the stalling issue) or not….. Anyway I cannot recommend that anyone tries based on my experience in my 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #38
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I did a small test in my DCT car, at very low speed....put the car into neutral, foot lightly on the brake and you can switch the engine off, the car rolls to a stop and remains in neutral.
Someone with access to say a grass field could try ~ 20mph, in gear foot lightly on the brake and press the stop button.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I did a small test in my DCT car, at very low speed....put the car into neutral, foot lightly on the brake and you can switch the engine off, the car rolls to a stop and remains in neutral.
Someone with access to say a grass field could try ~ 20mph, in gear foot lightly on the brake and press the stop button.
Interesting. Did you find that you were still able to use the brake and steering at all without power? Or would you basically have been on "runaway train" for lack of better words, had you tried this at higher speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #40
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
I decided to make one more test in my 1 series with manual before going over to the DCT and I am happy I did.

I held the button down with 60 km/h without using the clutch and the car turned off after a few seconds. It broke out on the rear immediately so thank god I had a clutch to catch it (I turned it back on with about 30km/h with the clutch down)…….

After turning off the car when I got home after my little test I got an error on the steering lock. The error message turned off after ejecting the key and putting it back in.

This was enough testing for me and I know now that a 1 Series manual EU model will easily turn off at 60 km/h with or without clutching and contrary to my previous statement I will not test this in a DCT for my own security. I think that a DCT will turn off but will it go to neutral (Probably judging by the stalling issue) or not….. Anyway I cannot recommend that anyone tries based on my experience in my 1 series.
This is spooky, your rear wheels locked up?!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #41
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Do you have comfort access. If you do, was the key in the ignition.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #42
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Interesting. Did you find that you were still able to use the brake and steering at all without power? Or would you basically have been on "runaway train" for lack of better words, had you tried this at higher speed?
Hmm obviously I hadn't given this as much thought as I should, since I tried it out on my drive heading towards closed garage doors!!
Anyway I was going slow enough and in a straight line so I never noticed any brake performance drop or power steering loss.
What I was concerned about was the DCT going from neutral into Park when switching the iginition off while moving but it didn't. I would like to see what happens trying the same but switching off the ignition while still in gear but the I have the same concern hence the suggestion of trying it on a low grip grassy field where whatever happened wouldn't be a problem.
Appreciate 0