BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
nycplumber
First Lieutenant
99
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Supercharger ride along

I would really like to get a ride in a supercharged car. I'm unsure of the direction that I want to go and before I spend $3000 on a karbonius intake and regret it I want to see how it transforms the car. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
2842
Rep
3,192
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

There will be one or two on the Tail run. Are you looking to do before then?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2087
Rep
3,766
Posts

Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92M, 12 X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I would really like to get a ride in a supercharged car. I'm unsure of the direction that I want to go and before I spend $3000 on a karbonius intake and regret it I want to see how it transforms the car. Thanks
I've driven multiple ESS supercharged cars. They drive very, very well. It preserves the feel of the high rpm S65 masterpiece and works like a stock car. No funny business.

The reason I don't have one on my car is:
-Can't be tracked reliably due to excess heat. I need the car to run an hour at a time. The GT3 RS' I'm chasing aren't going to take a cooldown lap and I won't either.
-Removes the wonderful intake sound of the S65. It preserves exhaust, but I like my intake sound as well
-Limited use for all that power. In Europe this would not be an issue but here I already find myself driving stupid speeds (only in Mexico) without being supercharged. With 625hp...
Appreciate 3
      06-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
nycplumber
First Lieutenant
99
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
There will be one or two on the Tail run. Are you looking to do before then?
Ideally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've driven multiple ESS supercharged cars. ...
The ess seems like such a bang for your buck but I will be looking at the harrop most likely. I'm interested in how unusable 1st gear is. How easily will it get heat soak on the really hot summer days and all the other possible cons associated. A supercharger puts this car in another league and im wondering if I should just keep this car NA and then down the line add a used and modded f10 which is comfortable and way faster than this car is capable of.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Biirdman50
Private
5
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

It's really fascinating how the ess supercharger doesn't kick in until about 5000 rpm. It honestly feels like a stock car up until then. Once you kick it over 5k the car just pulls and pulls. Like others said it's difficult to use on your everyday streets and you will be pretty much using it on the highway but it's easy to get in trouble with. Traction in first isnt the greatest ( even with the stock s65 engine).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2087
Rep
3,766
Posts

Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92M, 12 X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Ideally.



The ess seems like such a bang for your buck but I will be looking at the harrop most likely. I'm interested in how unusable 1st gear is. How easily will it get heat soak on the really hot summer days and all the other possible cons associated. A supercharger puts this car in another league and im wondering if I should just keep this car NA and then down the line add a used and modded f10 which is comfortable and way faster than this car is capable of.
On the street heat soak won't be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2087
Rep
3,766
Posts

Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92M, 12 X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biirdman50 View Post
It's really fascinating how the ess supercharger doesn't kick in until about 5000 rpm. It honestly feels like a stock car up until then. Once you kick it over 5k the car just pulls and pulls. Like others said it's difficult to use on your everyday streets and you will be pretty much using it on the highway but it's easy to get in trouble with. Traction in first isnt the greatest ( even with the stock s65 engine).
This is a basic characteristic of the centrifugal supercharger
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
nycplumber
First Lieutenant
99
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
On the street heat soak won't be a problem.
I push the hell out of this car and already get the engine HOT when I'm on safe roads. I haven't heard any issues with the Harrop kit and that's one reason why I would prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biirdman50 View Post
It's really fascinating how the ess supercharger doesn't kick in until about 5000 rpm. It honestly feels like a stock car up until then. Once you kick it over 5k the car just pulls and pulls. Like others said it's difficult to use on your everyday streets and you will be pretty much using it on the highway but it's easy to get in trouble with. Traction in first isnt the greatest ( even with the stock s65 engine).
I have solid subframe mounts and poly on the dif. Even with FBO I will get perfect traction at sub 40 degree temps while it's pouring rain. I only have traction issues when the pavement really upsets the suspension during mid corner. Tires are Ps4s 275 wide.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #9
amrazM
resident Genius
United_States
108
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: like a granny.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manhatan

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to amrazM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've driven multiple ESS supercharged cars. They drive very, very well. It preserves the feel of the high rpm S65 masterpiece and works like a stock car. No funny business.

The reason I don't have one on my car is:
-Can't be tracked reliably due to excess heat. I need the car to run an hour at a time. The GT3 RS' I'm chasing aren't going to take a cooldown lap and I won't either.
-Removes the wonderful intake sound of the S65. It preserves exhaust, but I like my intake sound as well
-Limited use for all that power. In Europe this would not be an issue but here I already find myself driving stupid speeds (only in Mexico) without being supercharged. With 625hp...
Cannot give that up, get the Karbonius airbox OP
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow2087.00

      06-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #10
SDPLV
Captain
350
Rep
832
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I want the Harrop as well. Would prefer the low end torque that I can actually use.
__________________
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, MS Drop-in AF, CF Spoiler, CF Diffuser, OEM CF Leather Trim, CF DCT Paddles, Custom DCT Flatbottom Wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, Hawk HPS Pads, Stage 1 AMS ECU Tune, GTS DCT Update, Slambo Custom Undertray
Sold: 02 E46 330Ci
Appreciate 1
k3silk99.00

      06-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
k3silk
Major
k3silk's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,065
Posts

Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
I want the Harrop as well. Would prefer the low end torque that I can actually use.
I with you on that... I was hoping the price would come down a little bit on this kit though.
__________________
14 AW F10 ///M5
11 AW e92///M3
08 AW e92 M3 SOLD
07 AW e92 335I SOLD
Appreciate 1
SDPLV349.50

      06-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
ard5040
Lieutenant
240
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: '09 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rockland, NY

iTrader: (1)

PMed you
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M32842.00

      06-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #13
Lanbow
Enlisted Member
13
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: 2013 E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Edgewater, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Have a E93 with Harrop kit and might be parting out soon in my pursuit of a 911, welcome anyone with interest in the kit to ride along and work something out if you like it. I m in NJ by GW bridge.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #14
motion732
Private First Class
15
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, F30 335 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
There will be one or two on the Tail run. Are you looking to do before then?
What is the tail run?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
2842
Rep
3,192
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion732 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
There will be one or two on the Tail run. Are you looking to do before then?
What is the tail run?
We did this last year and had a blast. Find the thread in my threads from last year, you can't miss it. Below is this years. Love to have you and anyone else interested. Op will be there.

2nd Annual Tail of the Dragon run 2018 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493889
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #16
E92NJM3
Private
9
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanbow View Post
Have a E93 with Harrop kit and might be parting out soon in my pursuit of a 911, welcome anyone with interest in the kit to ride along and work something out if you like it. I m in NJ by GW bridge.

I would love to check out your Harrup kit. I have an ESS kit now and always wanted one of these but was unsure about them
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #17
JsL
Captain
United_States
301
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF620
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I would really like to get a ride in a supercharged car. I'm unsure of the direction that I want to go and before I spend $3000 on a karbonius intake and regret it I want to see how it transforms the car. Thanks

Saw this on YouTube and thought about this thread https://youtu.be/OG2ySZCKzOE

If you're ever in SF Bay Area, I can offer you a ridealong. It's sooo much fun and such a great deal if you find a used kit.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST