BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Proposed Sticky: List of "same as OEM" parts

Hey everyone,
The world of BMW parts is a convoluted one. I hear again and again that you can buy OEM parts that are not branded with the BMW logo for less money, but its exactly the same part. Id like to put a money saving list together of common parts where we know the OEM manufacturer and list them out as a sticky to save us all money later when we need parts. Im using FCP Euro to price out and get part #s. Here is what I am trying to do:

Mvy: Throttle actuators: OEM Mfg: VDO. Part #: VDO-A2C53142839 ($543) same as BMW Throttle Body Actuator - Genuine BMW 13627838085 ($619)

Deansbimmer: Clutch: LUK 6223308000 clutch ($490). Same as the BMW part 21212284034 ($796)

ItsGary: Ignition Coils: OEM Eldor BMW Direct Ignition Coil - STI 12137841754 ($67) same as BMW Ignition Coil - Genuine BMW 12137841754 ($108).

Please contribute who confirmed the part is the same as the BMW factory part but no logo, and the part # in the format below.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 08-21-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
There's a thread stickied here in the General Forum titled: For New Owners - What I wish I knew when I first bought my E9X M3

It's laid out like a table of contents of links for threads on common technical topics, FAQs, and general maintenance.
One of which is named Exact OEM Equivalents - Filters, Mounts, Components, etc.

Both threads were compiled by Theodore with great effectiveness.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 2
are0lies4180.50
Theodore668.50
      08-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
There's a thread stickied here in the General Forum titled: For New Owners - What I wish I knew when I first bought my E9X M3

It's laid out like a table of contents of links for threads on common technical topics, FAQs, and general maintenance.
One of which is named Exact OEM Equivalents - Filters, Mounts, Components, etc.

Both threads were compiled by Theodore with great effectiveness.
Thanks! I didnt find it in my search.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
In brief: I think this is a good idea.

... this thread made me question whether I understood what OEM is and is not. I was thinking about the OE oil cap on my 2008 which was replaced by a newer model. If the old design is still available by the OEM (as well as the new), then you probably want the new. This is just a corner case to look out for. Another would be bearings. Perhaps it is worth checking an OEM part with a Genuine to see if it has been superseded. Just thinking out loud...

Anyway, I felt that I needed to understand what OEM means and does not mean.
"OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer. " https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-great-debate-genuine-parts-vs-oem-vs-aftermarket".

With that said (and if my thinking is correct) the specific part may not be OE but meets OE quality because the manufacturer meets the standards to produce parts that could or have been OE.

Let this not get this derailed.

Again, Mvy your efforts to contribute to the community is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Mvy539.50
      08-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
In brief: I think this is a good idea.

... this thread made me question whether I understood what OEM is and is not. I was thinking about the OE oil cap on my 2008 which was replaced by a newer model. If the old design is still available by the OEM (as well as the new), then you probably want the new.

Anyway, I felt that I needed to understand what OEM means and does not mean.
"OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer. " https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-great-d...vs-aftermarket".

With that said (and if my thinking is correct) the specific part may not be OE but meets OE quality because the manufacturer meets the standards to produce parts that could or have been OE.
L4- Really good points. I didnt even consider upgraded parts, where BMW decided it was not good enough and did something to replace with an updated version (eg oil cap, 2008 flywheel). That might be its own thread.

When you search on parts websites you tend to see skus marked OEM and then others genuine BMW parts. Within the class of OEM parts there tend to be several manufacturers at different price points. (eg. search for windshield washer pump: you get Genuine BMW for $54, Meyle for $24 and Febi for $8)

And as your definition states, Original equipment manufacturers are able to manufacture products to certain quality standards, but may not be an EXACT match for the part or may not be the BMW pick of manufacturer for that part but they will work. I refer to this as OEM similar parts. In the case of the windshield washer pump, you the color of the unit varies by manufacturer so you can identify easily the ones that are not similar. Its not always that easy so eyes on is key.

There seem to be other scenarios where an OEM is the same manufacturer of the BMW version of the part and they just don't stamp the BMW logo on it (like TAs stamped VDO). In these cases the OEM is the same maker as the genuine BMW part and the part is basically identical but not branded. I refer to this as OEM exact parts.

I'm no expert here, and if someone else has expertise to clarify more about OEM similar and OEM exact per my def above let me know.

I dont want to buy aftermarket parts that are labeled OEM unless they are the same exact part and manufacturer as the BMW default, but lack the logo. In my windshield washer pump example, I wonder if Meyle is the maker of the Genuine BMW part too but half the price. Members who have purchased and checked as they replaced in the past could confirm in this post, and it might make it a little different than other posts. Assuming my premise is correct about how the parts are classified, this is the challenge I was hoping to solve with this post. It may already be addressed in the thread Theodore set up but I have not confirmed it yet.

With FCP Euros guarantee, I feel it might be worth paying a little more up front for oem exact vs buying oem similar since I have piece of mind on replacement later.

Last edited by Mvy; 08-21-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0