BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Dilemma...performance steering wheel

I just installed electric performance steering wheel the other day. Dealership took 2 days to install it when it was supposed to be 2 hours job. When they finally finished it, boy I was very happy to see fitment and feel of the steering wheel, but I noticed kind of like chipped part Alcantara in the back of steering wheel which is about half a inch size and I can definitely feel it when I grab the wheel. My dilemma is whether I need to go complain it or suck it up? I will post a pic soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

If it bugs you then bring it back. If you ever plan on selling it then bring it back.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I would complain. If they damaged it, they should make it roght
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
If it bugs you then bring it back. If you ever plan on selling it then bring it back.
You are right about that. I'm gonna drive it one more time this weekend to see how severe the damage is I guess. I just hate the hassle that I need to go through if I ever complain seeing them taking 2 days to install the wheel....I just hate dealership not doing their job correctly in first place. I should've gone to indy...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I would complain. If they damaged it, they should make it roght
You are right. I think I'm gonna assess the damage one more time this weekend and call them up. so stressful....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I hope they take care of it for you and don't give you the runaround. I'd take it back for sure if it were me
      05-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

If it's already been a few days and you intend to wait even more over the weekend, what's to stop them from saying it was fine when you left and you must have damaged it yourself over the past few days? Something like Alcantara is easily damaged so it's a plausible argument for them.

When you first noticed it, you should have at least sent a picture and an email to let them know.

Hopefully they will make it right, but businesses are increasingly crappy these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post

When you first noticed it, you should have at least sent a picture and an email to let them know.

Hopefully they will make it right, but businesses are increasingly crappy these days.
this for sure. I woulda noticed it on the way home and circled right back to the dealer that same trip.
      05-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

did u buy the wheel from them?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
If it's already been a few days and you intend to wait even more over the weekend, what's to stop them from saying it was fine when you left and you must have damaged it yourself over the past few days? Something like Alcantara is easily damaged so it's a plausible argument for them.

This. The longer you wait, the easier it is for them to turn it around on you.
      05-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Exact reason why dealerships suck...so many people have problems with dealerships not knowing how to install/diagnose.
Just do everything yourself so you don’t mess anything up. A steering wheel is very easy to install the electronic just requires some wiring.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Exact reason why dealerships suck...so many people have problems with dealerships not knowing how to install/diagnose.
Just do everything yourself so you don’t mess anything up. A steering wheel is very easy to install the electronic just requires some wiring.
Most dealer techs are kids straight out of school. Many of these kids couldnt do an oil change before they went to school. I know some people like this, so this isnt my speculation. I believe that there are many things that can be taught, but how to use your hands is not one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
I hope they take care of it for you and don't give you the runaround. I'd take it back for sure if it were me
Yeah, I might end up taking it back for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #14
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You are right man. What happened was that it has been raining crazy in Florida and that day was even worse. I noticed the damage before I got on the highway, but my focus was "let's not hydrolock the engine" that day. I got back to my town safely and parked my car in friend's garage which is like 7 miles away from where I live. I didn't have time to go back to my car since I'm busy with work and extracurricular activities, but I've been thinking non stop about the damage. It's bothering me a lot. I'm planning to take out my car tomorrow and take a picture of the damage and send it to the service advisor that took care of me probably.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #15
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony093 View Post
did u buy the wheel from them?
Yes, I bought the wheel directly from them. They are BMW Ocala in Florida. I did install BMW M exhaust from BMW Winter Park and I wanted Winter Park one to do steering wheel to do, but they refused to do parts not bought from them. That was weird since I bought the wheel directly from BMW USA. I talked to Indy about steering wheel job (PSI in Winter Park), but the dealer quoted me better price for labor which is very rare case.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I mean installing is easy for me, but something requiring coding is not my area for sure, so I took it to them, but I'm getting headache for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #17
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
You are right about that. I'm gonna drive it one more time this weekend to see how severe the damage is I guess. I just hate the hassle that I need to go through if I ever complain seeing them taking 2 days to install the wheel....I just hate dealership not doing their job correctly in first place. I should've gone to indy...
Take it in man. You're going to be noticing this for next 6 months cursing every day just because you wanted your car back now.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

They're also humans and make mistakes. I don't understand the need to constantly crucify dealers. Sure, there are some lousy ones out there, but on the whole they're a fairly safe bet versus some of these "shops" we all hear horror stories about.
pcohen15379.50
      05-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
They're also humans and make mistakes. I don't understand the need to constantly crucify dealers. Sure, there are some lousy ones out there, but on the whole they're a fairly safe bet versus some of these "shops" we all hear horror stories about.
TAKE IT BACK. They should apologize, give you a new wheel and free labor. This is what happens at my work when we mess up. All fees on the deal are comp’d.

Repair shops in general are terrible

- Fletcher jones Mercedes in Newport Beach forgot to tighten my wheel lugs and I lost a couple lugs on the freeway and almost the wheel.

- sterling bmw in Newport Beach took my door panel off and pryed against the door putting a 4” wide dent and also 1” scratch down to metal. They refused to own up to it even tho the scrape went underneath the door panel.

- Irvine bmw sold me a 3 series brand new that was 3 quarts low on oil. After a year of battle and having to go every month to have them add oil (brand new car was going through 1qt per 1000 mi) bmw finally agreed to buy it back. Irvine bmw replaced the engine right before we gave the car back to bmw and after they put the new engine in it was leaking coolant and oil. So what do they do? Create fraudulent paperwork saying we picked up the car and then the problem started (vs related to engine change). This way they could fix their mistakes on bmw’s dime. Gotta love how resourceful/smart they are when to their advantage.

- Range Rover independent shop did $1500 of work on my sport recently including an alignment. I got the car back with the steering wheel 15 degrees off, took it back and no improvement. After this I decided to dig in myself and measured the front toe at 1/2”!! (Should be 1/16”). Never received an alignment print out (prob never did the work). Took back again and they gave me the before/after. The car had 10x the amount of toe as expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #20
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So...I'm gonna go back to the dealership tomorrow as first thing in the morning before the work and try to have part manager to take a look at it. That's what they need to do when I called them and let them know about the issue. Fingers Crossed.
Appreciate 0