BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

09-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #89
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Got up and applied the first application this morning.

Words of advice:
1) Start in the middle of the back seat and work your way outwards.
2) In the E90, under the "oh $hit" handles are hooks for hangers. These work perfectly for hooking the seatbelts (even the middle one) and keeping them off the leather while you apply it.
3) Use a spray bottle to spray, then rub in with your hands. You'll waste a lot less product and cover a lot wider area.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #90
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Got up and applied the first application this morning.

Words of advice:
1) Start in the middle of the back seat and work your way outwards.
2) In the E90, under the "oh $hit" handles are hooks for hangers. These work perfectly for hooking the seatbelts (even the middle one) and keeping them off the leather while you apply it.
3) Use a spray bottle to spray, then rub in with your hands. You'll waste a lot less product and cover a lot wider area.
Good from you....same here about starting on the back seat and the hangers...spray bottle
About your first application = the Rejuvenator oil....let it sit 1-2 day's,the last treatment i had it 2 day's on it,works and looks ,feels,even better
BTW...if i may ask you....please post the pics...when possible.........

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #91
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
1-Wrinkles because the leather is stretched and when you do nothing ,you will get cracks into this area's when the leather is parched, and then it's too late !
2-My maintenance of the leather is damp cloth ,everytime when i wash the car.
But i know one thing....
I do this Leatherique treatment 2x/year,and i think you have seen my pics....well this leather is from 2008 and has 50,000 km on it !
Conclusion.....
I have been tried all brands of products and with Leatherique i had the best result,example.....before my ///M3 i had a 325i(AC-Schnitzer) for almost 20 years and with 325,000 km on it and the black leather was also treated with Leatherique and no cracks on it......amazing stuff !
So the Leatherique won't take the wrinkles out? Damn. I just freakin got the car! A wet rag won't help the leather get rejuvenated either! Did you treat your day 1 or something?
      09-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #92
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
So the Leatherique won't take the wrinkles out? Damn. I just freakin got the car! A wet rag won't help the leather get rejuvenated either! Did you treat your day 1 or something?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=594127
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #93
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I find it hard to believe leather doesn't get some creasing in it. I figured it was normal since I just got it.
      09-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #94
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

There is a difference between minor wrinkles and major ones / creasing. When the car was about 2 months old, there were a few very long wrinkles the place where I sit. However, they were easily fixed because they were not the kind of wrinkles that really stretched the leather to the point of no return. Even though it was a long "wrinkle", it was more like a little stretch of the leather that can be restored. If the wrinkle keeps growing without being treated, it can be stretched to the "point of no return", where the leather is stretched beyond a certain limit. Imagine a paper clip for example, you can bend it a bit and it will go back to the way it was, but if you bend it too much, it will stay the way you bent it because you passed the limit. Of course you can bend a paper clip back, but not leather...
      09-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #95
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
These are the wrinkles I'm talking about. Actually I liberally applied McGuiers leather conditioner to my seat and it has reduced the wrinkles for sure. Gave it time to soak in a few days. But when I sit on the seat I notice the top part just stretching the leather and all the creases being made by my weight. I figure there's no getting around that, although my old 328 leather has no wrinkling issues whatsoever but it also it a much more stiff leather.

Those dark spots you see on the leg adjustment piece is from the leather conditioner, apparently that's a different kind of leather that shows much more shiny than the navillo.

09-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #96
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
These are the wrinkles I'm talking about. Actually I liberally applied McGuiers leather conditioner to my seat and it has reduced the wrinkles for sure. Gave it time to soak in a few days. But when I sit on the seat I notice the top part just stretching the leather and all the creases being made by my weight. I figure there's no getting around that, although my old 328 leather has no wrinkling issues whatsoever but it also it a much more stiff leather.

Those dark spots you see on the leg adjustment piece is from the leather conditioner, apparently that's a different kind of leather that shows much more shiny than the navillo.

This looks....NOK
Send you PM !
You asked in our PM another pic of my driver seat treated with Leatherique...
Nice link to another Leatherique treatment >>>http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 09-10-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #97
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

How do you guys apply the oil in the winter when it's cold? Will it still work? I was thinking of letting the car run for a bit with the heat on, but that would only last for a few minutes before the car cools down after you turn the ignition off.

You said you do it 2x per year, do you do it in a heated garage or something?
      10-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #98
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinz View Post
How do you guys apply the oil in the winter when it's cold? Will it still work? I was thinking of letting the car run for a bit with the heat on, but that would only last for a few minutes before the car cools down after you turn the ignition off.

You said you do it 2x per year, do you do it in a heated garage or something?
I'm doing this never in winter...before winter,leather needs heat, it open's the pores of the leather and this is needed for of the absorption of the Rejuvenator oil

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #99
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm doing this never in winter...before winter,leather needs heat, it open's the pores of the leather and this is needed for of the absorption of the Rejuvenator oil
Well, I noticed the driver's seat is getting some signs of wear in the leather. Even though the car is only 5 months old, I want to put some of the oil in it to protect it. Do you think it is a good idea?

The problem is that it is already getting cold here, maybe 12 degrees C during the day. Is it still worth putting it on? I could do even just a little bit, I'm sure it will get absorbed a bit if I leave it for a couple days.

I could also use Megiuar's leather care, it worked pretty well on my Accord. It leaves a bit of a shiny look, but I could clean it out with Prestine Clean!
      10-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #100
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Well, I noticed the driver's seat is getting some signs of wear in the leather. Even though the car is only 5 months old, I want to put some of the oil in it to protect it. Do you think it is a good idea?

The problem is that it is already getting cold here, maybe 12 degrees C during the day. Is it still worth putting it on? I could do even just a little bit, I'm sure it will get absorbed a bit if I leave it for a couple days.

I could also use Megiuar's leather care, it worked pretty well on my Accord. It leaves a bit of a shiny look, but I could clean it out with Prestine Clean!
When you have heated seats that would do the job....
When not...you can try the Rejuvenator oil and let it sit for a couple of days

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #101
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When you have heated seats that would do the job....
When not...you can try the Rejuvenator oil and let it sit for a couple of days
I only have front heated seats, but actually I think that's fine because the rear seats are rarely used!

Thanks for the suggestion, I wonder if the seat heating works without ignition on. Plus luckily the last few days have been HOT. Hopefully it stays like this until I receive the order.
      10-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #102
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I only have front heated seats, but actually I think that's fine because the rear seats are rarely used!

Thanks for the suggestion, I wonder if the seat heating works without ignition on. Plus luckily the last few days have been HOT. Hopefully it stays like this until I receive the order.
Good to hear man !
Let us know the result ...

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #103
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just finished this a few days ago. The oil absorbed completely after 2 days, even though it wasn't that warm in the garage, but it wasn't super cold either, maybe around 13 degrees Celsius.

I was hoping for slightly better results, maybe when it's warmer and the leather absorbs the oil better, it will look better?

This is before the application, the passenger seat:

Name:  IMG_1303.JPG
Views: 2490
Size:  437.8 KB

The driver seat with another leather conditioner on it that I decided to try. It makes it quite oily, but you can still see all the imperfection, and my main issue: the line on the bottom left side of the picture:

Name:  IMG_1302.JPG
Views: 2329
Size:  461.0 KB

After the Rejuvinating Oil and Prestine Clean, first the passenger seat:

Name:  IMG_1317.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  342.8 KB

Now the driver's seat:

Name:  IMG_1316.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  367.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1315.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  562.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1318.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  312.9 KB

Notice the line is still there? But the little lines near the front of the seat are much smaller, and the seats as a whole from a distance look great, like they are brand new. I'm quite happy with this.

It's the first time the seats were conditioned, and not in the warm temperatures like they were supposed to. I'll take some better pictures later with a real camera and try to put the oil on as soon as it gets warm again. Maybe the leather will "stretch" a little bit and "adapt" and absorb all of these lines as it gets "broken in".

I don't know how you guys don't have any such lines on your seats! Maybe I'm too heavy? The car is only 5 months old...
      11-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #104
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just finished this a few days ago. The oil absorbed completely after 2 days, even though it wasn't that warm in the garage, but it wasn't super cold either, maybe around 13 degrees Celsius.

I was hoping for slightly better results, maybe when it's warmer and the leather absorbs the oil better, it will look better?

The driver seat with another leather conditioner on it that I decided to try. It makes it quite oily, but you can still see all the imperfection, and my main issue: the line on the bottom left side of the picture:

After the Rejuvinating Oil and Prestine Clean, first the passenger

Now the driver's

Notice the line is still there? But the little lines near the front of the seat are much smaller, and the seats as a whole from a distance look great, like they are brand new. I'm quite happy with this.

It's the first time the seats were conditioned, and not in the warm temperatures like they were supposed to. I'll take some better pictures later with a real camera and try to put the oil on as soon as it gets warm again. Maybe the leather will "stretch" a little bit and "adapt" and absorb all of these lines as it gets "broken in".

I don't know how you guys don't have any such lines on your seats! Maybe I'm too heavy? The car is only 5 months old...
Your seats are in perfect condition. "Lines" like that are only normal
They will happen regardless of how careful you are. It's part of the look of leather it's bound to happen
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #105
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 939994

Attachment 939995

After the Rejuvinating Oil and Prestine Clean, first the passenger seat:

Attachment 939997

Now the driver's seat:

Attachment 939998

Attachment 939999

Attachment 940000

Looks good to me,keep in mind it was only 13° Celsius !
For the next treatment try to do it in about 30° Celsius when possible...and let it sit for 2 days,and the result will be even better !
About your stretch lines (creases ,wrinkles)in the leather of your driver seat,i have this too but only about 10 % of your level and my car has 31,000miles on it !
And why the big stretch in your leather.... ?
Well the answer is....and caused by your heated seats..... 100 % sure !
I saw it a lot in cars with heated leather seats also Merc !
How can this be ?....
When you heat up a piece of leather and you put a weight on top of it...the leather will stretch ...and quickly !
So the answer is that heated seats is actualy nok for our leather,the leather is heated up and your body weight is seated on top of it..and how longer...the more your leather will be stretched !
And i know heated seats is very nice in winter with cold temps,but the downside you have just read !
BTW...Pinz THX for posting your pics...i like people when they say something,that they also do it ...thats the way how i'm too

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 11-16-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #106
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADetail View Post
Guys remember that most OEM leather surfaces actually have a coating similar to a clear coat meaning that most products for leather don't really do much. Leatherique is a great product as it is allowed enough time to moisturize and condition the leather. I recommend using Leatherique at least once a year and just doing occasional wipedown/cleaning to maintain it in between. Most conditioners just sit on the surface of that coating and will eventually just get wiped off on clothing, people etc.
Spot on my friend !

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #107
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Looks good to me,keep in mind it was only 13° Celsius !
For the next treatment try to do it in about 30° Celsius when possible...and let it sit for 2 days,and the result will be even better !
About your stretch lines (creases ,wrinkles)in the leather of your driver seat,i have this too but only about 10 % of your level and my car has 31,000miles on it !
And why the big stretch in your leather.... ?
Well the answer is....and caused by your heated seats..... 100 % sure !
I saw it a lot in cars with heated leather seats also Merc !
How can this be ?....
When you heat up a piece of leather and you put a weight on top of it...the leather will stretch ...and quickly !
So the answer is that heated seats is actualy nok for our leather,the leather is heated up and your body weight is seated on top of it..and how longer...the more your leather will be stretched !
And i know heated seats is very nice in winter with cold temps,but the downside you have just read !
BTW...Pinz THX for posting your pics...i like people when they say something,that they also do it ...thats the way how i'm too
Thanks for your reply! The only issue is... that I don't use the heated seats!!! At least not yet. I find the engine of this car makes it pretty warm, so I've been using the Air Conditioner until a month ago. Only my wife uses the heat function (and only maybe 4 times in total). However, she always talks about how warm I am. And I do have very warm blood because I'm always hot, I never wear sweaters and I break a sweat doing almost any kind of physical work (makes it look like I'm working really hard, hehe). So it could be possible that my ass is just very hot and heats up the leather to make it stretch?

I did notice the line is smaller after the oil/clean. I'm guessing it's because of the way the leather folds when I sit on it a certain way.. and it's the same way every time. I try to move a bit to make the leather more flat when I sit, but I don't always remember, and it's difficult to see. I weight 93kg, maybe that's the problem? I will try to go to 75kg and see if that makes a difference!

Do I have any hope in getting rid of that line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADetail View Post
Guys remember that most OEM leather surfaces actually have a coating similar to a clear coat meaning that most products for leather don't really do much. Leatherique is a great product as it is allowed enough time to moisturize and condition the leather. I recommend using Leatherique at least once a year and just doing occasional wipedown/cleaning to maintain it in between. Most conditioners just sit on the surface of that coating and will eventually just get wiped off on clothing, people etc.
Couldn't agree more!
      11-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #108
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! The only issue is... that I don't use the heated seats!!! At least not yet. I find the engine of this car makes it pretty warm, so I've been using the Air Conditioner until a month ago. Only my wife uses the heat function (and only maybe 4 times in total). However, she always talks about how warm I am. And I do have very warm blood because I'm always hot, I never wear sweaters and I break a sweat doing almost any kind of physical work (makes it look like I'm working really hard, hehe). So it could be possible that my ass is just very hot and heats up the leather to make it stretch?

I did notice the line is smaller after the oil/clean. I'm guessing it's because of the way the leather folds when I sit on it a certain way.. and it's the same way every time. I try to move a bit to make the leather more flat when I sit, but I don't always remember, and it's difficult to see. I weight 93kg, maybe that's the problem? I will try to go to 75kg and see if that makes a difference!

Do I have any hope in getting rid of that line?

Couldn't agree more!
When you used your heated seats a lot ,surely than it was even worse,like i said above, i saw cars with stretchd leather caused by heated seats and very bad !
About your body weight you are 93 kg...i'm 92 kg and 1.89 meter tall..so
Or this...you said about that you sweat a lot,now can you see that your seat is wet from your sweat ?
Actualy this can cause the stretch too... !
Maybe you should talk with your BMW dealer about this problem...maybe something with the leather in the sit area of your driver seat ?
Your car is only 5 months old,so why not... talk with BMW ,and i would love to hear their answer about this problem

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 11-16-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #109
demonglide
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: k3

Wow

I'm gonna start using this product %100
Where can ya purchase it
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #110