BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Are my throttle body actuators failing intermittently?

Hey all,

Just picked up an E92 M3 with 74k miles with the knowledge that the throttle body actuators had never been replaced. I've got a 3-month power train warranty on it, so I've love for them to be replaced free of charge.

It's been deluging here for the past 2 days straight, so I wonder if I threw a false code due to water getting somewhere.

Initial issue steps:
  • Started car > moved car 2 blocks > turned off car for 1 hour
  • Started car > received engine malfunction + DSC error messages >did not move car
  • Got limp mode > turned off car > restarted car > codes still present
  • Checked code with an OBD2 reader > got one empty result, one P157F(generic throttle body failure, no L or R designation)
  • Moved car back 2 blocks in limp mode > turned off car
  • Turned on car again to adjust parking > codes are gone
  • Test drive > no throttle issues all the way up to redline

I feel like if the actuators went, they wouldn't come back or at least I'd be able to feel something while driving. Do actuators fail intermittently or all at once and never recover?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

They begin failing intermittently. That stage could last a number of months depending on how much you drive. Your problem could also be unrelated. There are some cars with 120k and original actuators. I suspect it has to do with how the cars are driven. A mostly highway car sees less actuator movement. But there are other theories such as lack of lubrication on the shaft and rotating assembly — not part of the actuator.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Yugo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like it is your ta's failing or at least one of them. One of mine started at around 68 or 69k miles. I delayed replacement for a while, as the limp mode wouldn't be present all the time. Then it started happening more often and finally both of them got bad and a replaced them both.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Ah ok, that's good to know. I'll have my shop try to get both replaced under my 3-month power train warranty they gave me.
Appreciate 0